San Diego Bans Smoking At All Beaches, Parks

BaronVonBigmeat said:
Allowing or not allowing smoking really should boil down to a question of property rights. If a bar owner wants to allow it, it's his property. Bar employees and patrons know as soon as they step in the door for the first time if it's a smoking establishment. They can choose to accept the risks, or not.

I do agree with you on the private property. My "applause" was for the banning of smoking at public beaches.

Private businesses should be allowed what to do what they want. The patrons who either come in or don't come in to said business will tell the business owner what his/her policies should be. If a restaurant allows smoking, and nobody eats there because of that policy, the business owner should probably make it no smoking.

Then again...he/she might have the only (or one of the few) restaurants in town who do allow smoking and all the smokers go there; and the business is successful.

Public places are different. Beaches, parks, etc. I have no problem with a ban on smoking in public places.

Private business is entirely different. The government doesn't need to dicate to private businesses on their smoking policies. The profitability (or lack of) will do that for them.

http://politicalcompass.jpagel.net/questionnaire.php

That seemed alot better then most political compasses. I'm much more towards the right economically. Far from communism. Im slightly on the libertarian side when it comes to social issues. About where i consider myself to be in reality.

This chart is also one of the few that recognize that facism and communism are not that far off and far from opposites of each other.

insein said:
http://politicalcompass.jpagel.net/questionnaire.php

That seemed alot better then most political compasses. I'm much more towards the right economically. Far from communism. Im slightly on the libertarian side when it comes to social issues. About where i consider myself to be in reality.

This chart is also one of the few that recognize that facism and communism are not that far off and far from opposites of each other.

That's why I have it in my sig.

insein said:
I think i was like left/right 5.88 and libertarian/authoritarian -1.15 on the scales respectively.

Looks like we're pretty close. I don't agree with the concept that this (and many other tests) have, where being pro-life is authoritarian or anti-liberty.

5stringJeff said:
Looks like we're pretty close. I don't agree with the concept that this (and many other tests) have, where being pro-life is authoritarian or anti-liberty.

I can see the argument is that its more laws to govern our daily lives instead of people figuring it out for themselves. In that sense it is more authoritarian (more laws) and less libertarian (less laws).

insein said:
I can see the argument is that its more laws to govern our daily lives instead of people figuring it out for themselves. In that sense it is more authoritarian (more laws) and less libertarian (less laws).

I understand that point, but one could make the counterpoint that by not allowing abortion, one is securing the liberty of the baby.

mattskramer said:
Eh. One man’s honey is another man’s vinegar. One man’s prison is another man’s paradise. Some people think that “A” is worse than “B” and some people think that “B” is worse than “A”.

Nice platitude, but libs think one man's honey is another man. And their big vinegar in life is someone smoking in the park...ooo-eek! Despite the ACLU-style reasoning, in reality libs are truely just screwed up human beings.

GotZoom said:
I do agree with you on the private property. My "applause" was for the banning of smoking at public beaches.

Private businesses should be allowed what to do what they want. The patrons who either come in or don't come in to said business will tell the business owner what his/her policies should be. If a restaurant allows smoking, and nobody eats there because of that policy, the business owner should probably make it no smoking.

Then again...he/she might have the only (or one of the few) restaurants in town who do allow smoking and all the smokers go there; and the business is successful.

Public places are different. Beaches, parks, etc. I have no problem with a ban on smoking in public places.

Private business is entirely different. The government doesn't need to dicate to private businesses on their smoking policies. The profitability (or lack of) will do that for them.

i have no issue with smoking banned on public property, particularly beaches. when I was in Santa Monica last year, Tim and I were walking on the beach, and he stepped on a still-burning butt that someone just decided to throw down. No serious injury, but his foot was tender for a day or so.

5stringJeff said:
I understand that point, but one could make the counterpoint that by not allowing abortion, one is securing the liberty of the baby.

I was thinking more along the lines of the simplicity of less laws vs more laws rather then the security of liberty vs totalitarianism.

Forum List

Back