Ruth Bader Ginsburg Shuts Down Gay-Marriage Challengers

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
We have so many old fools on USMB - let RBG's intelligence and wisdom be a lesson to them. This is how important and valuable your life could be, had you not wasted it watching Fox News.

She is an inspiration to all women and critical thinking people who question arguments based on "tradition" or popular beliefs.

Argument: The court does not have legal right to change a "millennia" of tradition.

RBG's response: "Marriage today is not what it was under the common law tradition, under the civil law tradition. Marriage was a relationship of a dominant male to a subordinate female. That ended as a result of this court's decision in 1982, when Louisiana's Head and Master Rule was struck down. Would that be a choice that state should be allowed to have? To cling to marriage the way it once was?"

Argument: The institution of marriage is inherently linked to a couple's ability to procreate.

RBG's response: "Suppose a couple, 70-year-old couple, comes in and they want to get married? You don't have to ask them any questions. You know they are not going to have any children."

Argument: Gay marriage "impinges on the state" and takes benefits away from straight couples.

RBG's response: "How could that be, because all of the incentives, all of the benefits of marriage affords would still be available. So you're not taking away anything from heterosexual couples. They would have the very same incentive to marry, all the benefits that come with marriage that they do now."

Argument: Legal gay marriage has never been a possibility for most of history. Why now?

RBG's response: "[Same-sex couples] wouldn't be asking for this relief if the law of marriage was what it was a millennium ago. I mean, it wasn't possible. Same-sex unions would not have opted into the pattern of marriage, which was a relationship, a dominant and a subordinate relationship. Yes, it was marriage between a man and a woman, but the man decided where the couple would be domiciled; it was her obligation to follow him.

There was a change in the institution of marriage to make it egalitarian when it wasn't egalitarian. And same-sex unions wouldn't—wouldn't fit into what marriage was once."

As encouraging as it is to see good jurists' arguements for equal rights, I'm concerned it's even gottent his far in the first place. Some lower-court judge should have simply said, "Go fuck yourself" to anyone who wanted to deny equal rights to ANYONE. That it got all the way to the Supreme Court is more than a little worrisome.

how sweet to see the worship of a judge who just a month ago stood up for Religious organizations when it came to Birth control. and they went completely APESHIT nuts over them.

but that was last week, and this is this week

my gawd you homosexuals and ilk are desperate to FORCE yourselves on the rest in this country. you are now cheering for the very people you couldn't stand just a few weeks ago

GAWD try to find SOME HONOR in yourselves

I sent that list to the 98 school district superintendents in the Texas area where I served as board president. Many of them will throw it away, the fine evangelicals they are, but probably most of them will pass them on to their social study divisions.

how sweet to see the worship of a judge who just a month ago stood up for Religious organizations when it came to Birth control. and they went completely APESHIT nuts over them.

my gawd you homosexuals and ilk are desperate to FORCE yourselves on the rest in this country. you are now cheering for the very people you couldn't stand just a few weeks ago

Well, if you find yourself gay married....it won't be me forcing you.

Ginsberg is just an old dried up wrinkled lesbo cvnt with a senile brain.

I'm surprised they still allow her to be wheeled out and speak in public. .... :cuckoo: ... :lol: :lol:

no frikken kidding. we NEED to demand term Limits on these people in Black Robes next.
They are getting as creepy as leaders of a cult.
along with the people in CONGRESS who make's a living off sucking off us taxpayers and then pass laws for us and separate ones for them TO LIVE BY

but that isn't going to happen. the next winner on American idiot is more important to them in this day and age

What about at the ghey bar, ghey bar?

Forum List

Back