Russia's sophisticated Hacking of the Elections

Spycraft

Jan 10, 2018
This thread is designed around the idea of how sophisticated was the Russia attack on the US elections?

The answer naturally is VERY SOPHISTICATED.

But I wanted to demonstrate how something so apparently easy as "getting the target to email you their password" isn't as straightforward as it seems. And I stumbled across the video I'll cite here, when replying to another post elsewhere. Because it illustrates how even extremely secure systems like YOUR AMAZON ACCOUNT can be compromised by some stupid email security question that directly has NOTHING TO DO with your Amazon account.

But by transitive attacks, the attacker can hack their target, your Amazon account, by attacking something much less important, like a back-up email you used to reset your Gmail account password.

The point is that the FBI has traced this out with two APT attackers that attacked the DNC and while it was more sophisticated than that, this explanation will right your ship so you can better understand how the FBI explains how the actual DNC hacking attack occurred.

Forum List

Back