Rural Living, Homesteading

I grew up in rural Florida. We pretty much lived off the land some. Florida is great for growing things year-round.
Yes it is except in the hot months of summer. Right now we are taking advantage of the cold days and pulling vines and clearing trails. But it is getting harder to do by hand with hand tools, Loper's and pole saws. My arms were black and blue and full of briars but we have a field full of brush we cleared. Plus it beats sitting around.

yeah that would have been a bad time to get too crazy with it lol

It sure cooled things down for awhile.
Speaking of cooling things down temp is dropping into high 20's here Saturday,if they don't change it again.
We get plenty of work done in cold weather.

Do any of you have hens for eggs? Grocery stores are getting low on food so we hope to have potatoes and beans at least and of course tomatoes and other veggies.
My potatoes are coming up but nowhere near hilling yet. I have them in greenhouse.

Do any of you have hens for eggs? Grocery stores are getting low on food so we hope to have potatoes and beans at least and of course tomatoes and other veggies.
My potatoes are coming up but nowhere near hilling yet. I have them in greenhouse.

Chickens should be the first thing you get on a homestead. They provide eggs, meat, and if you have a rooster, a security alarm.

Couldn't find this subject if it's here please combine.

Anyone here living on a farm or ranch? Or just homesteading , prepping or sustainable living of some kind?

We live in a rural type community and try to grow some of our food. We also have 3 hens for eggs,did have dozens of chickens, ducks horse and donkey several years ago. Now we are old and don't have all those to care for.
We aalso do some canning mostly dried beans carrotts some meat.
I ask hubby about getting a couple donkeys again to help with clearing vines and brush.Plus I love long ears.haha
He said no.

Convince hubby that you need a few goats. They provide milk & meat. Then, after you have a few goats, tell him you are worried about coyotes getting the goats. Donkeys make good livestock guardians, and they eat mostly what the goats eat.

And goats clear vines and underbrush better than anything short of a swarm of locusts.

Yes the man was raising then dogs to sell. Now he isn't interested since another dog got with her and he couldn't sell them.And his goat likes the dogs since it is probably lonely.

Do you grow food or have farm animals?

A single goat can be tough on the goat. You need two, at least.

And the Great Pyrenees don't usually herd the goats. They guard them. Nothing short of a big cat will get to anything they are watching.

For a few years I helped a friend start up a business using goats to clear overgrown landscaping. They are amazing at it. But goats are on the top of the menu for every predator.

A single goat can be tough on the goat. You need two, at least.

And the Great Pyrenees don't usually herd the goats. They guard them. Nothing short of a big cat will get to anything they are watching.

For a few years I helped a friend start up a business using goats to clear overgrown landscaping. They are amazing at it. But goats are on the top of the menu for every predator.

How terrible. I had a goat when I was a kid, her name was Nita. She followed me everywhere even chased the car when we left the property. The hicks next door stole her and Bar-B-Qued her, Mama saw what was left of Nita when she was asking around.

Anyone here living on a farm or ranch? Or just homesteading , prepping or sustainable living of some kind?

We live in a rural type community and try to grow some of our food. We also have 3 hens for eggs,did have dozens of chickens, ducks horse and donkey several years ago. Now we are old and don't have all those to care for.
I ask hubby about getting a couple donkeys again to help with clearing vines and brush.Plus I love long ears.haha
He said no.
I whined and got a Kubota tractor with cutter, loader, and tiller 12 years ago. Last year I added a rear digger. It turned out to be almost everything needed except for small areas. That may not be available any more, but buying a used one and spending $500 for any given part not included might be a way in for rowing and going like a 20-year old when you're 70 and your body doesn't do what you tell it to do any more. hehehe... A less expensive way to tilling might be to get a tiller that has a feature of pushing itself. It would cost 1/20 less than the Kubota, except you might get your boots dirty, and you could pay $25. to a neighborhood kid who would be glad to trade his muscle for being a helping hand once in a while. You could also contact the local football coach to keep a player or two in shape off-season to work summers to keep your place spiffy. Helps him afford going to a movie now and then and you get some work done instead of feeling bad about feeling bad. The only other thing I can think of to help you get over hurting is a product on tv these days to help you get over hurting that old age brings just when you want to do some heavy lifting. It's something about factoring relief for pains that accompany aging. But before you go on a sales organization's self-review, you might go to a consumer review site first before you decide it is or is not for you: Consumer Review | Is Your Joint Support Product Effective? - See Top Picks!

It pays to be careful most of the time. Other times, you might be surprised how something works for several years. Some of us like to see our own elbows doing our work for us, and it's possibly cheaper if we learn the ins and outs of nutrition. Doing nothing, however, is the worst of all options, imho. For example, I failed to ask if I could run a marathon after knee replacement surgery. My physician said, "no" when I asked him 6 weeks post surgery and full-time rehab with certified rehabilitation therapists. lol Now my leg-and-hip sockets hurt. I'm going to try out the relief factor place, because I'm tired of thinking about gardening when the pain goes away. And it doesn't go away without a little cooperation on the sufferer's part. Just my two cents worth of useless advice. :heehee:

I grew up in rural Florida. We pretty much lived off the land some. Florida is great for growing things year-round.
Oh, my gosh. That sounds like paradise. I killed off at least 3 lemon trees from frost the next winter and finally gave up. I should have built a small greenhouse/arboretum years ago. Then everyone I know would have Vitamin C from lemonade, lemon pie, tea with lemon, and lemon water. *sigh* - hindsight has 20-20 vision, doesn't it. :aug08_031:

Yes the man was raising then dogs to sell. Now he isn't interested since another dog got with her and he couldn't sell them.And his goat likes the dogs since it is probably lonely.

Do you grow food or have farm animals?
I used to--I grew up on a small farm---we had horses, ponies, chickens, goats, one donkey, etc. He was a good donkey--loved carrots and supervising the other creatures- much easier than dealing with horses.

See how long you guys can hold out!

Until I run out of beer and Playboys ...

d1662bd6-7566-4ac4-969d-607ef33f743a.jpg

There's a great article by Susan Sontag ...

He said no.
Burn vines and brush. Use the ash to ward off rust on your coffee and fish are easy to care for
frontpond.jpg

As far as self sustaining. If the sun turns off, the wind quits blowing or the water dries up.I'm good

Forum List

Back