Rumsfeld, al-Zarqawi find something they agree on

G

Gabriella84

Two sides at war with each other – the United States and an al Qaida-linked group in Iraq - have found a common target, the Arabic television channel Aljazeera.

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has accused Aljazeera of attacking the image of the US. The leader of the al Qaida-linked group Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has charged the Arabic channel of being a mouthpiece for the Americans.

Rumsfeld a few days back, for the second time this month, attacked Aljazeera's news coverage, accusing the Arab satellite channel of pounding "day after day after day" the United States's image.

Speaking on the BBC with veteran news interviewer David Frost, Rumsfeld repudiated the idea that the US was what was wrong with the world, but admitted that the country could do a better job in its communications and public diplomacy.

Earlier in the month, Rumsfeld made similiar comments at a security conference in Singapore and repeated the charge that the channel was broadcasting actual decapitations of hostages in Iraq by airing video tapes by armed groups.

Aljazeera has repeatedly denied that any of its hostage video footage has actually ever shown decapitations.

In the Frost interview, the Defence Secretary defended the image of the US, accusing Aljazeera of "a lack of balance".

"If you lived in Aljazeera's area...and you heard every day the pounding that the United States takes from a television network like that, you'd begin to think very poorly of the United States, too."

"People clearly have a right to know what is happening on the ground - we have never broadcast images of a hostage being beheaded"

"You just can't hear day after day after day things that often aren't true with a lack of balance, and come away thinking, gee, that must not be a very good country," he said.

Rumsfeld went on to say that people around the world looked up to the US and wanted to come and live and work there, and that the US was also the country that "people look to for assistance".

In timing perhaps incidental, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, leader of the al Qaida-linked group in Iraq, reportedly posted a message on an internet site accusing Aljazeera of being a 'mouthpiece for the Americans'.

"You claim that your motto is to open the floor for all opinions ... so why is your channel a mouthpiece for the Americans?" said the statement, whose authenticity could not be confirmed.

Al-Zarqawi said that the news channel should stick to reporting the news of the mujahadin (fighters) actions "as it is", and not attempt to harm the image and reputation of groups fighting US-led forces in Iraq.

Gabriella84 said:
Two sides at war with each other – the United States and an al Qaida-linked group in Iraq - have found a common target, the Arabic television channel Aljazeera.

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has accused Aljazeera of attacking the image of the US. The leader of the al Qaida-linked group Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has charged the Arabic channel of being a mouthpiece for the Americans.

Rumsfeld a few days back, for the second time this month, attacked Aljazeera's news coverage, accusing the Arab satellite channel of pounding "day after day after day" the United States's image.

Speaking on the BBC with veteran news interviewer David Frost, Rumsfeld repudiated the idea that the US was what was wrong with the world, but admitted that the country could do a better job in its communications and public diplomacy.

Earlier in the month, Rumsfeld made similiar comments at a security conference in Singapore and repeated the charge that the channel was broadcasting actual decapitations of hostages in Iraq by airing video tapes by armed groups.

Aljazeera has repeatedly denied that any of its hostage video footage has actually ever shown decapitations.

In the Frost interview, the Defence Secretary defended the image of the US, accusing Aljazeera of "a lack of balance".

"If you lived in Aljazeera's area...and you heard every day the pounding that the United States takes from a television network like that, you'd begin to think very poorly of the United States, too."

"People clearly have a right to know what is happening on the ground - we have never broadcast images of a hostage being beheaded"

"You just can't hear day after day after day things that often aren't true with a lack of balance, and come away thinking, gee, that must not be a very good country," he said.

Rumsfeld went on to say that people around the world looked up to the US and wanted to come and live and work there, and that the US was also the country that "people look to for assistance".

In timing perhaps incidental, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, leader of the al Qaida-linked group in Iraq, reportedly posted a message on an internet site accusing Aljazeera of being a 'mouthpiece for the Americans'.

"You claim that your motto is to open the floor for all opinions ... so why is your channel a mouthpiece for the Americans?" said the statement, whose authenticity could not be confirmed.

Al-Zarqawi said that the news channel should stick to reporting the news of the mujahadin (fighters) actions "as it is", and not attempt to harm the image and reputation of groups fighting US-led forces in Iraq.

Gabriela this is warning #2. Provide a link to your cut and pastes or face the consequences, the choice is yours.

OCA said:
Oh holy hell! I totally skipped looking at the source!

AL JAZEERA LMFAO! Gabriela is a terrorist sympathizer.
:laugh: May be why she skipped the link? Ya think?

Aljazeera is a widely respected INDEPENDENT news source that does not lean to either side of the spectrum. Which you would realize if you ever read it.
Which makes Aljazeera than tabloids like the NY Post, which is a mouthpiece for the Bush Administration and it conservative ilk.
Aljazeera has some talented writers who take as many pot shots at terrorist factions as they do at the Western powers.
Of course, conservatives tend to look down on any publication that does toe the party line. Fairness is terrorism.

Gabriella84 said:
Aljazeera is a widely respected INDEPENDENT news source that does not lean to either side of the spectrum. Which you would realize if you ever read it.
Which makes Aljazeera than tabloids like the NY Post, which is a mouthpiece for the Bush Administration and it conservative ilk.
Aljazeera has some talented writers who take as many pot shots at terrorist factions as they do at the Western powers.
Of course, conservatives tend to look down on any publication that does toe the party line. Fairness is terrorism.

She said "jiz". Teehee. :finger3:

Gabriella84 said:
Of course, conservatives tend to look down on any publication that does(sic) toe(sic) the party line. Fairness is terrorism.

Of course, liberals tend to look down on any pbulication that doesn't tow the party line, such as FOX. (different standards, eh, Gabby?)

Al Jazeera is not widely respected. It is 'respected' in the sense it is from the ME, an area where any freedom of the press is unheard of. Get a life sheep.

Gabriella84 said:

Al Jazeera independent and respected??????????? LOL even my Arab music buddies realize its a terrorist mouthpiece. Keep criticizing Fox, I get a kick out of it. Whaddaya think Air America, NBC, ABC and CBS are? Fair and Balanced? When was the last time you saw a conservative commentator on any of those? See Alan Colmes and old Clintonites on Fox all the time. Your just an America hater.

OCA said:
Al Jazeera independent and respected??????????? LOL even my Arab music buddies realize its a terrorist mouthpiece. Keep criticizing Fox, I get a kick out of it. Whaddaya think Air America, NBC, ABC and CBS are? Fair and Balanced? When was the last time you saw a conservative commentator on any of those? See Alan Colmes and old Clintonites on Fox all the time. Your just an America hater.

I don't see why I ever bother to argue with someone whose brain is a toxic waste dump. :finger3:

Gabriella84 said:
I don't see why I ever bother to argue with someone whose brain is a toxic waste dump. :finger3:

Little LSD girl i've forgotten more than you'll ever know. You don't argue because you tire of the intellectual left jabs you keep taking to the chin.

OCA said:

But I see you couldn't refute me, so you went the other route. Its ok, I understand.

Unlike some people who have just responded, I don't have the time to sit here all day. :gay:

The thought that Fox and media outlets like the NY Post can be "fair and unbiased" is laughable. During the 2004 election campaign, I read the NY Post and kept track of what Fox bleated almost every day. There was NEVER a favorable representation of non-Republican candidates.
Since the election, there has NEVER been a criticism of the Bush administration or its policies. Never a criticism of Iraq or other such nonsense.

I would rather read Aljazeera. Since I doubt you ever read it, you would not know how there are, on a daily basis, stories and reports from BOTH sides. Aljazeera criticizes Bush, bin Laden, Israel, the PLO and everyone in between. The station is based in Qatar and subject to no censorship.

I happen to be much more American than any conservative halfwit. I don't look the other way when American soldiers come home in body bags. I don't cream my pants every time Fox shows a group of dead Iraqis. I hold bin Laden accountable for the 3,000 Americans who died on Sept. 11. I hold Bush accountable for EVERY American who has died in Iraq and Afghanistan. The blood drips equally off each of their hands, and will continue to do so.

Forum List

Back