"So What If We're Terrorists? You Mishandled the Koran"

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...ts,0,3321039,print.story?coll=sfla-news-miami

Lawyers for 2 in 'dirty bomb' terror case allege misconduct at jail
By CATHERINE WILSON
Associated Press

June 20, 2005, 12:23 PM EDT

MIAMI -- Attorneys for two terrorism suspects tied to an alleged al-Qaida dirty bomb suspect are asking for the dismissal of a federal indictment against them based on a jailer's mishandling of a Quran and intimidating jail cell searches that removed handwritten papers in Arabic.

The defense claims the seizures from the cells of Adhan Amin Hassoun and Kifah Wael Jayyousi in May and June amount to government misconduct and an unconstitutional intrusion on trial preparation.

Jailers also disrespectfully tossed Hassoun's Quran on his bunk and left 8,000 pages of trial papers in disarray, his attorney Kenneth Swartz said in motions filed Friday.

Hassoun, a Lebanese-born Palestinian, and Jayyousi, a Jordanian national and U.S. citizen, face possible life prison sentences on charges of plotting to fund and support Islamic jihad through murder and kidnappings abroad, including Bosnia, Chechnya and Somalia.

``By depriving the defendants of the confidentiality of their own case-related notes, the government has destroyed any possible confidence that their case can be prepared with privacy,'' the men's attorneys wrote.

The defense also is asking for an order to either release the men from solitary confinement or on house arrest. Alicia Valle, spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office, said Monday that prosecutors would respond in writing, but both motions said the federal trial attorney opposed them.

Messages left at the downtown jail where the men are detained by the U.S. Bureau of Prisons were not immediately returned. The defense said the warden responded to a March request by Hassoun for a change in jail conditions by saying he was a ``security threat.''

The Federal Detention Center has held other inmates deemed administrative risks, notably drug kingpins, in solitary for years despite defense protests.

On the Quran, a jail officer took a piece of paper with Arabic writing, but Hassoun explained that he had copied an excerpt from the holy book and showed him the matching text. The officer returned the paper and tossed the Quran on the bed.

``Even the U.S. military has said that's not the kind of treatment you give a holy book, so I guess FDC hasn't come to that conclusion,'' Swartz said Monday.

The conditions of confinement barring contact visits, restricting family visits by adult relatives to one-hour a week and delaying mail at least a month is ``punitive'' and ``not reasonably related to a legitimate government goal.''

Hassoun has been held in solitary for nearly a year following two years in an immigration jail.

Jayyousi, a former assistant superintendent in Detroit public schools, has been in isolation since he was arrested in March and transferred to Miami. Their trial is set for September 2006, which would leave them in solitary for another year unless changes are made.

Hassoun and Jayyousi are accused of being involved in an international terrorist financing plot that allegedly included attempts to recruit terrorists, including Jose Padilla, a former Broward County resident and Chicago gang member and Muslim convert held by the United States as an enemy combatant.

Arrested in May 2002, Padilla has been portrayed as a militant who planned attacks on the United States, including with a radioactive ``dirty bomb.''

Sir Evil said:
:teeth:

Makes much sense! Funnier that there are llawyers that will try to present this case too.:rolleyes:

Not so funny if they win. :death:

Sir Evil said:
If thats a winnable case we may as well just open the borders and let the terrorists walk in a blow us to hell. Meanwhile we have muslims burning American flags right here on our own streets and these reag heads should get off? :rolleyes:
On that we agree. They should NOT get off.

When Iraqi militants were shown on film throwing Bibles into a fire, Hannity and Limbaugh had matching spasms.

Everyone should be shown religious tolerance. Not enough to dismiss a criminal case, but their religion should be treated with respect.

Gabriella84 said:
The barbarians are not the people you have at Gitmo.

we incarcerated unjustly. FOR GAWDSAKE WAKE THE FUCK UP!! These people are terrorists, lower than murderers, lower than rapists. They are damn lucky we didn't a. kill them in the first place. b. kill them after interrogating them c. let some of the victims families spend five minutes of "quality time" with their sorry asses to help "understand their pain and viewpoint". I swear to God Almighty if you libs don't pull your heads outta your asses then we are in need of a Second Civil War to rid ourselves of the cancer within before the terrorists try to kill us from without.

Kathianne said:

Yeah, they're mistreated.

I'd put them in tents, give them MRE's to eat (only the reconstituted pork patties), and if they want to read, the O'Reilly Factor in arabic for their convenience.

Oh, and there wouldn't be an issue of flushing their preciousl little books. A, they wouldn't have the very manual that has brainwashed them to hate us, nor would they have modern plumbing. Just a small shovel.

Gabriella84 said:
When Iraqi militants were shown on film throwing Bibles into a fire, Hannity and Limbaugh had matching spasms.

Everyone should be shown religious tolerance. Not enough to dismiss a criminal case, but their religion should be treated with respect.

I dont think any of us have to tolerate intolerance. Why should we tolerate people burning Bibles? or burning flags? And whats more why should we respect them?

These people want to kill us. They arent content with burning religious books. They want our blood flowing in the street. Why can't the libs understand this?

I dont think any of us have to tolerate intolerance. Why should we tolerate people burning Bibles? or burning flags? And whats more why should we respect them?

These people want to kill us. They arent content with burning religious books. They want our blood flowing in the street. Why can't the libs understand this?

Surely you've heard the "logic" by now? It's all the conservatives' faults. We started the whole thing. If we would just put down our weapons and explian things in a reasonable manner to the jihadists, they would just stop and go back to camel racing and rock farming.

I personally would prefer that the nation stops the whole libs vs conservatives madness and forces an open discussion on what
the goals should be without using namecalling to disagree
with opposing oppinions.

Like it was pointed out in the thread, the radical muslims want
to kill any westerner. While there are legit questions about
what legal framework we apply, these questions of technicalities
muddle the true goals of the war on terror or as I prefer
to call it the war against radical Islam. I dont care about the IRA.
They didnt attack the US. Mostly Saudi radicals did it.

In order to defeat them the establishment of democracy is
a good beginning, but in the long run like in every war to break
the enemy spirit you have to kill alot of them. That will
demand sacrifices.

The congressmember that asked for a troop reduction deadline
did a disservice to our country in this war. Wavering is not
gonna convince the enemy we mean business.

Instead of the taxcut we should have allocated the money to expand
the intelligence community and the military.

we incarcerated unjustly. FOR GAWDSAKE WAKE THE FUCK UP!! These people are terrorists, lower than murderers, lower than rapists. They are damn lucky we didn't a. kill them in the first place. b. kill them after interrogating them c. let some of the victims families spend five minutes of "quality time" with their sorry asses to help "understand their pain and viewpoint". I swear to God Almighty if you libs don't pull your heads outta your asses then we are in need of a Second Civil War to rid ourselves of the cancer within before the terrorists try to kill us from without.

Himmler once said pretty much the same thing about the Jews.

Gabriella84 said:

comparisons to Nazi Germany to make a point are always kinda
disingenious, especially if we talk about morals.

Gabriella84 said:

who the enemy is and the danger they represent. Typical of a left wing hate American democrat. Congrats you've officially joined the club.

Gabriella84 said:
You are a hateful little worm. Want to tell us your problems, I mean other than bi-polar, parents on no flight list?

Gabriella84 said:

Ah ....the Nazi card. Hate to break it to you, but sticking your head in the ground and pretending the truth isn't there just makes a nice big target out of your fat ass.

Since i never served in the military im not fully aware of what occured in Basic. But according to many military friends and people that have been on these talk shows and TV, Basic training is far more grueling then ANYTHING these prisoners are going through.

In Basic, soldiers are expected to stand in 110 degree heat for 5+ hours at full attention with 110lb pack of equipment, perfectly ordered on their backs without flinching. Any flinching cause their drill sergeant to get about a mm from their face screaming at the top of their lungs. Spit flying from their mouths into the soldiers face of which you can not wipe away. Then you must do 20, 30, 50 perfect pushups with the pack on and the sergeants boot heel in your back. In other branches, you must endore hours of freezing cold ocean, running in and out of the water and subzero temps. You must show no signs of fatigue or you must do it all again.

Your food consists of a fine gruel or gruel like substance. If youve never eaten gruel, then you havent truely felt pain. Once you grow hungry enough though, according to my friends, it tastes like filet mijon. Thats of course after the first few days of puking it up because of its repulsiveness to your body.

You then sleep in a room with 20 to 30 other men, in bunks the size of a childrens bed. You wake up at 5am and do it all again. You must have your bed made to perfection or you drop and give 50 perfect pushups. Your uniform has to be in perfect order or you drop and give 50 perfect pushups.

Sounds to me like these prisoners have it pretty fucking easy compared to basic training.

Insein,

You're right on the money about basic being hard. My husband went through ROTC "Basic" aka Field Training, the summer before his senior year, and even "baby basic" for future officers was pretty rough.

They were outside in Lackland, TX in July and August from about 5AM till about 9PM doing physical workouts. The temperature was often over 110 degrees farenheit.

They were given only 10 minutes to eat dinner, and it never consisted of orange-glazed chicken and fruit crepes.

They were not permitted to contact loved ones for any reason, and letters they received had to be read at night instead of sleeping, no free time was given for any reason.

My husband once had to stand in the full heat of the day with his arms raised to shoulder-level with weights in each arm for over 3 hours. Those who dropped the weights or their arms were forced to run for the remainder of the time. And his group was voted "the best!"

The cadet drill instructors would consistently scream directly into their faces, any break of bearing was punished with more physical labor.

The cadets instructing them operated on a strict, "no matter what you do its wrong," mentality...no matter what my husband did, no matter how perfect the pushup was...the instructor would find something wrong with it and he would have to do it again, or he would have to do more of them, or he would have to run, or clean the head, or something else.

By the time his training was over, my husband had shin splints in both legs (he still had to work out and run on them), tendonitis in his shoulder, and the worst farmers tan I have EVER seen!!!

My husband came back from field training about 20 lbs lighter, and he was a lanky guy to begin with. His short practically fell of as he came out of the airport and we had to buy him new clothes the next day because none of his old clothes fit. THE TORTURE!!!

My mother made him filet mignon, green-been casserole, and baked potatoes for his welcome-home dinner. He finished them all in 10 minutes because of the BRAINWASHING and MENTAL TORTURE they had put him through in Lackland!

I'm tired of all this PC bullshit. We hear all this shit about what may or may not have happened to some Korans and it's all over the news. Who cares? People should focus on the fact that most of these people want us dead instead of focussing on what happened to an inanimate object.

I do not believe that mishandling a religious book falls under the criminal code. So the wierd ones in question will eventually lose. Guards are not required by any criminal code to show respect to inmates either.

If this plays out it won't be surprising. Remember, this is the land of Mickey D's too hot coffee, and the twinkie defense.

pegwinn said:
I do not believe that mishandling a religious book falls under the criminal code. So the wierd ones in question will eventually lose. Guards are not required by any criminal code to show respect to inmates either.

If this plays out it won't be surprising. Remember, this is the land of Mickey D's too hot coffee, and the twinkie defense.

The boot camp stories are killing me!!! :laugh:

Forum List

Back