"Roots"

I know what you said. I just said it wasnt true. Black Americans at all economic levels do not live better than Black Africans. How could that be possible if there are millionaire/billionaire Black Africans?
Are you saying that because there are a few Black Africans who have accumulated relative fortunes there are no Black Africans who live under conditions which are best described as primitive and far below the level of the most impoverished Black Americans?

Are you saying there are no Black Africans who live in villages with no access to electricity, running water, toilet facilities or the most basic medical care and who live in constant fear of being raided by pillaging warlords?

Are you saying that information submitted by the most respected and credible news media, such as Time Magazine, which regularly reports on the relatively primitive conditions under which a substantial percentage of Black Africans live are not true?

You totally avoided my question. Have you even been to Africa?
No. I've never been to Africa. What would I learn by going there? Would I learn that most Black Africans live at least as well as most Black Americans -- including the welfare class?

No Black Americans lives are not far better for having been enslaved. Thats probably the most retarded thing I have ever saw you post. Thats like Shootspeeders level.
It appears you are afflicted by a genetically inherent propensity to rationalize, to creatively distort, and to fantasize.

I didn't say that Black Americans are "better off for having been enslaved." What I said is the standard of living of contemporary Black Americans at all economic levels is far better than that of contemporary Black Africans.

More specifically, the life of the average welfare class Black ghetto inhabitant is far superior to that of the average Black African who lives in a hut in some impoverished village with absolutely no civilized accommodations. Do you deny that? Will you resort to fantasy and distortion of the facts? Or will you agree that living off welfare in the South Bronx is far better than living in a hut in some African boondocks?

What I said is their ancestors' enslavement, not their enslavement, is the reason why contemporary Black Americans are living in America rather than in Africa. And at their comparative economic levels most are far better off because of it.

PS: I've just noticed that, coincidentally, two relevant movies included in my tv listings are, Tears Of The Sun and Blood Diamond. Have you seen either or both? If so, would you care to comment on them?

Last edited:
I know what you said. I just said it wasnt true. Black Americans at all economic levels do not live better than Black Africans. How could that be possible if there are millionaire/billionaire Black Africans?
Are you saying that because there are a few Black Africans who have accumulated relative fortunes there are no Black Africans who live under conditions which are best described as primitive and far below the level of the most impoverished Black Americans?

Are you saying there are no Black Africans who live in villages with no access to electricity, running water, toilet facilities or the most basic medical care and who live in constant fear of being raided by pillaging warlords?

Are you saying that information submitted by the most respected and credible news media, such as Time Magazine, which regularly reports on the relatively primitive conditions under which a substantial percentage of Black Africans live are not true?

No. I've never been to Africa. What would I learn by going there? Would I learn that most Black Africans live at least as well as most Black Americans -- including the welfare class?

No Black Americans lives are not far better for having been enslaved. Thats probably the most retarded thing I have ever saw you post. Thats like Shootspeeders level.
It appears you are afflicted by a genetically inherent propensity to rationalize, to creatively distort, and to fantasize.

I didn't say that Black Americans are "better off for having been enslaved." What I said is the standard of living of contemporary Black Americans at all economic levels is far better than that of contemporary Black Africans.

More specifically, the life of the average welfare class Black ghetto inhabitant is far superior to that of the average Black African who lives in a hut in some impoverished village with absolutely no civilized accommodations. Do you deny that? Will you resort to fantasy and distortion of the facts? Or will you agree that living off welfare in the South Bronx is far better than living in a hut in some African boondocks?

What I said is their ancestors' enslavement, not their enslavement, is the reason why contemporary Black Americans are living in America rather than in Africa. And at their comparative economic levels most are far better off because of it.

PS: I've just noticed that, coincidentally, two relevant movies included in my tv listings are, Tears Of The Sun and Blood Diamond. Have you seen either or both? If so, would you care to comment on them?

I didnt say there were only a few. I said there are a lot of Black Africans that live better than a lot of Black americans. Who told you it was just a few?

That pretty much explains your ignorance on this particular subject. If you've never been there then you obviously dont know what you are talking about. If you actually went there and saw for yourself then thats what you would learn.

Yeah actually you did say that.

American Blacks live far better as the direct result of their ancestors' ordeal.

Again thats Shootspeeder level mentality. Blacks over in Africa live 10x better lives on less money than Blacks over here. Hell most of them live better lives than a lot of whites over here.

I never claimed you meant that current Blacks had been enslaved. That doesnt even make any sense.

Blood Diamond is a great movie. Sheds some light on the ongoing rape of the African continent by europeans and the western world. I have never heard of Tears of The Sun.

Did you guys watch it? Did you watch the first one? Which one you prefer? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

No. the first one was based on a faked book, and the new one was almost certain to be even a bigger lie.

Schindler's List was a very good movie.

If you watch shows like "Underground" on WGN, you'll see the type of characters you're looking for, good white folk that ended up risking life and limb for the plight of negro slaves.

Not an easy task when the entire society is against it.

What you seem to fail to grasp is that what blacks are angry about is the fact that society was so against blacks for practically no reason. We were considered less than dogs. Hence they could enslave us, mistreat us, breed us, hang us, all while going to their "Christian" church claiming to follow God, many of which actually justified slavery through the Bible, clearly perverting the Word, but that is what was common. In more modern times, the white society felt that segregation was just fine, that blacks shouldn't vote, that blacks could be watered down with hoses, hunted with dogs, hung, etc. These things occurred up to modern times, as a result of the slave trade. It's no wonder that up to today, black lives are considered not worthy, hence an unarmed black child can be gunned down by a rabid gun nut, and nobody bats an eye, and even lets the bastard off the hook by a almost all-white jury.

However, I bet you won't see the connection and will find some reason to dismissed the facts I just presented to you.
Thank you for the reference to WGN and the Underground program. It seems to be something I would be interested in watching but I don't know what WGN is or if I have cable access to it. But I will research it tonight.

Re: your belief that I will find some reason to dismiss the facts you've presented about why Blacks are angry, I have read quite a bit about the cruelties imposed on Black African slaves in America, and I've watched a number of well-crafted movies and tv documentaries which further reveal the horrors involved in that national disgrace.

I have also read a great deal about and watched an endless progression of movies and tv documentaries about the persecution and genocides perpetrated on a number of ethnicities and social categories by the Third Reich. Because my lineage is German I've grown accustomed to the very subtle but unmistakable change in the facial expression of most Jews I meet when they hear my last name.

The first thing I wish to say regarding the above circumstances is none of my forebears lived in America during the slavery era and they all departed Germany because of its economic depression long before the rise of Adolf Hitler. Further, they landed in and settled in New York City where Jim Crow segregation did not exist.

I was born and raised on the Brooklyn Waterfront during the Great Depression. (If you saw the movie, On The Waterfront, you know what that was about.) We lived in a six-family tenement and for some time had cause to understand the meaning of the word, poverty. What I have to say about all that in relation to this discussion is while Blacks have and have had their problems, we had ours. And while we were able to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, so were a hell of a lot of Blacks I've known.

There were Blacks in every class in every school I've ever attended, from St. Francis Xavier to Columbia University, and a substantial number of my civil service co-workers were Black -- including a number of my supervisors. I have watched the rise of a substantial number of Blacks in American politics, up to and including the U.S. Presidency.

So the bottom line to all of the above is, where slavery is concerned I do acknowledge the deplorable criminality and outrageous cruelties of that practice, but I feel that I am totally without guilt and neither I nor any of mine owe anything to any Blacks simply because we happen to be White. Further, I feel perfectly justified in my rising anger toward American Blacks who are increasingly expressing rage over oppression, past and present, by violently attacking innocent, defenseless Whites.

I am fully aware of and I do not dismiss the cruelties imposed on American Blacks. But I had nothing to do with any of it. As far as the matter of White Privilege is concerned, I believe the issue is restricted to that economic class of Americans which is totally devoid of Blacks.
Although I don't quite agree with everything you stated, I do understand where you're coming from.

"settled the case out of court "
That is a successful lawsuit. Whether payment is achieved by judgment or agreement (settlement), the suit has been successful.
Actually its not. Thats like saying i sue you for a million dollars and we settle out of court for $100 is successful. They call it settlement for a reason. I failed to get the million dollars.

Lawsuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"If the plaintiff is successful, judgment is in the plaintiff's favor, and a variety of court orders may be issued to enforce a right, award damages, or impose a temporary or permanent injunction to prevent an act or compel an act."

Last edited:
Did you happen to watch a documentary on the topic of slavery (also on the History channel) called The Castles of Hell?
Link? I googled "The Castles of Hell" and only got this: NationStates | The Dictatorship of The Castles of Hell | Government

Nothing on slavery.
Too bad. It is a well-crafted documentary including footage of the actual slave castles along the West African coast, with the steel collars, hobbles and other restraints which were "hot-rivited" onto the slaves.

Reality, rather than such imaginative fiction as Roots.
Sorry I missed it. No doubt slavery is an abomination.

As for Roots, it's based on fact, but, yes, Haley took literary license to make a story out of it. "Faction" was the term others suggested.
I bet you cant name a movie that doesnt take literary license to make a story. I always wonder why people find they have to attempt to downgrade one movie when other movies are doing the same exact thing.
When people are desperate and despicable they will latch on to something...ANYTHING!

i hate it when someone that appears to be intelligent makes ignorant comments like this. Have you ever been anywhere in Africa? I have. A lot of Africans live better lives than where I grew up here in the states and i am only speaking economically. They have vastly superior cultural lives, vastly superior spiritual lives, and love education.
I didn't say there is not a small percentage of financially successful Africans. What I said is Black Americans at all economic levels live better than Black Africans -- presumably from the richest to the poorest. I.e., ". . . standard of living" = all economic levels.

Do you deny that? Do you deny there are parts of Africa in which the practice of slavery continues to this day? Do you deny there are parts of Africa in which the villagers live in constant fear of being raided by warlords whose gangs pillage, rape and murder them?

Please don't cleverly distort my comments.
Taking the race factor out of it, all poor Americans are better off than most poor Africans.

American Poverty VS African Poverty - The Borgen Project
...America may not be in perfect shape, but when compared to the African state of poverty, the American poverty pales considerably. There are always others in the world who have greater needs than those in countries who have been blessed with running water, reliable food sources, and functioning hospitals.

African American Poverty

Did you guys watch it? Did you watch the first one? Which one you prefer? Thoughts?

No. the first one was based on a faked book, and the new one was almost certain to be even a bigger lie.
So you only watch documentaries then?
The mass of ordinary Germans did know about the evolving terror of Hitler's Holocaust, according to a new research study. They knew concentration camps were full of Jewish people who were stigmatized as sub-human and race-defilers. They knew that these, like other groups and minorities, were being killed out of hand.

They knew that Adolf Hitler had repeatedly forecast the extermination of every Jew on German soil. They knew these details because they had read about them. They knew because the camps and the measures which led up to them had been prominently and proudly reported step by step in thousands of officially-inspired German media articles and posters according to the study, which is due to be published simultaneously in Britain and the US early next month and which was described as ground-breaking by Oxford University Press yesterday and already hailed by other historians.

Germans knew of Holocaust horror about death camps

I didnt say there were only a few. I said there are a lot of Black Africans that live better than a lot of Black americans. Who told you it was just a few?

That pretty much explains your ignorance on this particular subject. If you've never been there then you obviously dont know what you are talking about. If you actually went there and saw for yourself then thats what you would learn.

American Blacks live far better as the direct result of their ancestors' ordeal.

Again thats Shootspeeder level mentality. Blacks over in Africa live 10x better lives on less money than Blacks over here. Hell most of them live better lives than a lot of whites over here.

I never claimed you meant that current Blacks had been enslaved. That doesnt even make any sense.

Blood Diamond is a great movie. Sheds some light on the ongoing rape of the African continent by europeans and the western world. I have never heard of Tears of The Sun.
Did you hear a monkey in Kenya got into a power station and the entire country lost power? I forgot the number but something like only 20% of the people were affected because 80% doesn't even have electricity.

Did you hear a monkey in Kenya got into a power station and the entire country lost power? I forgot the number but something like only 20% of the people were affected because 80% doesn't even have electricity.
Thanks for the heads up!

Monkey causes nationwide blackout in Kenya - CNN.com
Talk about monkey business.

Kenya -- yes, the entire country -- was left without power Tuesday after a rogue monkey got into a power station and triggered a nationwide blackout.

The primate fell onto a transformer at the Gitaru hydroelectric power station, according to KenGen, which owns the facility.

The company is the country's largest generator of electricity, providing around 80% of energy consumed in the east African nation.

In a statement posted to the company's Facebook page, the company said the system had been restored and that all power generating units were operating normally.

As for the offending monkey? It survived the incident, KenGen said, and has been handed over to the Kenyan Wildlife Service.

Despite being one of Africa's fastest growing economies, for the majority of Kenyans the power outage wasn't missed.

According to the World Bank, only 23% of Kenya's 45 million population have access to electricity.

So you only watch documentaries then?

I don't confuse Hollywood's lurid ridiculous dramatizations as legitimate representations of history, so yes, I do prefer documentaries, if they're made by actual scholars. I made it about 20 minutes into the first Roots movie before I changed the channel, and never went back to it. The book was just as bad.

I would rather people read well written and researched histories, like Raymond A. Kea's various African history studies. One of the best African histories I have on my shelf is Kea's excellent book on the Gold Coast in the 17th century.

Some of his book reviews and other stuff:

Ray Kea - Publications

While he does have his biases, as far as I can tell he keeps them out of his scholarship. For those interested in serious African history Kea is well worth Googling up and checking out.

I did but like some of your other posts I dont see the relevance in regard to my post?

I did but like some of your other posts I dont see the relevance in regard to my post?
You said "there are a lot of Black Africans that live better than a lot of Black americans." and just as I was reading you saying that, Good Morning America ran this story about how only 23% of the population even uses electricity. So define "a lot"

You said "there are a lot of Black Africans that live better than a lot of Black americans." and just as I was reading you saying that, Good Morning America ran this story about how only 23% of the population even uses electricity. So define "a lot"
I dont get the correlation between electricity in Kenya and what i said about Africans. Can you explain?

I dont get the correlation between electricity in Kenya and what i said about Africans. Can you explain?
If they don't have electricity, A LOT of them can't be living better lives than African Americans. Oh never mind. Now it's not funny anymore. I think it went over your head.

There are only 44 million Kenyans. There are 308 million African Americans. I bet the poorest 44 million black Americans live better than the poor in Kenya. They certainly have more opportunity to make something of themselves, no?

If they don't have electricity, A LOT of them can't be living better lives than African Americans. Oh never mind. Now it's not funny anymore. I think it went over your head.

There are only 44 million Kenyans. There are 308 million African Americans. I bet the poorest 44 million black Americans live better than the poor in Kenya. They certainly have more opportunity to make something of themselves, no?
I thought thats what you were getting at but i wanted you to say it. Electricity or lack of it doesnt make your life better or worse. Your value system and the worth you put on something like electricity is different for different people.

Again it depends on who is defining "better". However you have tried and failed to move the goal posts. There was never a country specified and since you have never been to Kenya you cant have any clue if what you believe is true is actually true.

Recheck your US numbers. Total US population is 321.4M. African-Americans constitute 13.2% of the population putting them around 42.4M.

Population estimates, July 1, 2015, (V2015)

Recheck your US numbers. Total US population is 321.4M. African-Americans constitute 13.2% of the population putting them around 42.4M.

Population estimates, July 1, 2015, (V2015)
I was reading that and posting it on the fly. My bad.

Forum List

Back