Ron Paul: Love candor; Economy and Foreign policy, not so much.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sgeppy118, Dec 1, 2011.

1. sgeppy118

sgeppy118 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    In regards to many of the Ron Paul opinions out there. First off, I like many things that Ron Paul says and stands for, and I believe on the whole that he has good intentions. BUT, I do think that he tends to oversimplify some very complex problems, namely concerning the economy and foreign policy. Hypothetically speaking, lets envision a world where this 'free market system' dominates. No oversight. Can you imagine Wall Street at a time like that? The corruption would be rampant. If there is one group of people I trust less than politicians, it's wall street and bankers. Self-regulation is a naive concept IMO.Our country is experiencing monopolization of several industries (commodity driven necessities mainly) like gas, cable tv, electricity, etc. Remove all oversight. Essentially give big businesses free reign to exacerbate an already growing problem and then just assume that they will take the moral high road and not abuse the system. Inside trading, price fixing, price gouging: I can't imagine the extent of the abuse. Transparency/accountability will not exist w/o oversight. And as for foreign policy, I agree with not "policing the world" but at the same time an isolationist view in modern times is simply irresponsible. We know of atrocities and have worked to thwart many. We know of threats and need to continue to manage them. The nuclear age needs be dealt with using diplomacy, not a cold shoulder approach.

All in all, looking to the constitution (100's of years old) for outright answers to modern problems is somewhat troubling to me. While everyone knows that our forefathers were revolutionary and visionary for their time, I am fairly certain that they didn't intend for it to be some 'list of rules' (insert favorite religious dogma) that should be blindly followed without considering social and cultural change.

Just my two cents... any thoughts?

2. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    There is no difference between the world 1,000 years ago and today... It's a simple fact. Only a fool thinks it is.

If you think that the internet and nukes have changed the rules then take a step back in time and watch as every time something new comes along people claim it changes everything... Yet it all stays the same.

3. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    Some good points. I agree with some but disagree with others. Good articulate post though. Thanks.

4. LibertyForAll

LibertyForAll Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140
    He is not an isolationist so much as a non-interventionist.

5. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,908

:clap2:you've just taken moron to a whole other level.

6. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,908
    My thoughts are, you're making too much sense to have a conversation with Ron Paul people.

7. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,046
    But they did contemplate social and cultural changes. It's called the amendment process. But we don't have to bother with that silliness anymore now that we have Progressives in charge, with their obvious intellectual superiority.

Checking in on what the Progressives from both parties have given us...

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

Hmmm...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Danjb25

Danjb25 Wake up and drown in debt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Economy is just that easy, what makes economics complex is when Keynesian economics are followed, in that, the gage for an economies strength is it's ability to consume and not produce. The simple fact is if you do not produce you cannot consume unless the means of consumptions are easily printed or someone is providing you with the means, which in itself backs up the first point. If banks and corporations where not lead to believe that bailouts would come from doing overly risky business, ie. the housing and internet bubble, than they would be less apt to take those risks without compensation. An economy can only grow when the economy can produce, if their is not standard on which production can be based on, such as gold, then a monatery system such as that is doomed to the fallout of inflation. Free markets decide who the winners are and losers are not the government. We have seen this with solyndra and other alternative energy companies. Now, you if pay taxes, your taxes will go to paying back those extremely risky government loans. remember the top 66% pay all of the taxes in america and the bottom 34% pay none, it is from this lower income bracket we see all the demands for big government and careless spending on broken "entitlement" programs and misguided buiseness ventures.

9. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,046
    So, you've proven you're capable of an ad hominem attack. Wonderful. Now, tell us why the Constitution shouldn't apply in these 'modern times'. That is what you're implying, yes?

10. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,908
    I wasn't implying anything other than the world is more complicated than it was a thousand years ago. Only a true moron would state otherwise.

Now to your question regarding the constitution, I do believe we need a more constitutional government today, but we can't go back to 1788.