Romney's Arizona co-chairman steps down

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Republican Congressional candidate Paul Babeu, currently serving as a sheriff in Arizona, stepped down on Saturday from his position as the co-chair for the Mitt Romney presidential campaign in the state, after an explosive allegation from a Mexican man, who claims to be his ex-boyfriend, that Babeu threatened him with deportation to Mexico.

"Sheriff Babeu has stepped down from his volunteer position with the campaign so he can focus on the allegations against him," Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul confirmed in an email to The Huffington Post. "We support his decision."

In a press conference on Saturday, Babeu said the allegations are false but confirmed that he is gay, something he had not previously discussed. According to a tweet by the Arizona Capitol Times from his speech, "I am gay," he said.

The Phoenix New-Times broke the story about the Mexican man, referring to him only his first name, Jose. Babeu is both a staunch Republican and a hawk on border security -- making the allegations all the more surprising and potentially damaging.

News about Babeu could also prove damaging to the Romney campaign ahead of the state's Feb. 28 Republican presidential primary.

Jose told the New-Times that Charlie DeRose, Babeu's lawyer and campaign manager, threatened that he would push for his deportation if he disclosed their relationship.

A 34-year-old from Mexico, Jose provided the publication a photo of Babeu with Jose that appeared on its website, with Jose's face blurred out. Jose said that while working for the Babeu campaign on its social media and website, he and Babeu began an affair, which ended badly after he suspected that Babeu was cheating on him. DeRose then asked for the passwords to Babeu's accounts and asked Jose to sign a legal document stating that he would not speak of the relationship, according to Jose's account in the paper.

Jose said that DeRose had also claimed, incorrectly, that he had an expired visa and could be deported, according to the paper. Jose's attorney, Melissa Weiss-Riner, confirmed his account to the New-Times and the Arizona Republic.

Paul Babeu, Arizona Sheriff, Steps Down As Arizona Co-Chair Of Mitt Romney's Presidential Campaign

Is anybody in Arizona campaigning for Rick Santorum? In fact, does anyone even know who he is?
Santorum has a shoestring operation in Arizona, but he could win the primary.
Santorum represented Pennsylvania in the U.S. Senate, he's the son of a coal miner and a social and fiscal conservative.
As other challengers to Mitt Romney have faded, Santorum has surged.
He doesn't have much money and he's being greately outspent by Mitt Romney, yet a recent poll in Arizona shows he has erased a huge gap and is now trailing the former Massachusetts Governor by just 38 percent to 31 percent -- and the gap may be narrowing.
Could Rick Santorum actually win the Arizona primary?
"Oh absolutely, absolutely," said Michael O'Neil of O'Neil Associates. "I think that what he needs to do is dominate the political narrative going into Super Tuesday and the way to do that is to win in both Michigan and Arizona."
Read more: Santorum Could Win Arizona GOP Primary on a Shoestring Budget | Fox News Latino

Republican Congressional candidate Paul Babeu, currently serving as a sheriff in Arizona, stepped down on Saturday from his position as the co-chair for the Mitt Romney presidential campaign in the state, after an explosive allegation from a Mexican man, who claims to be his ex-boyfriend, that Babeu threatened him with deportation to Mexico.

"Sheriff Babeu has stepped down from his volunteer position with the campaign so he can focus on the allegations against him," Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul confirmed in an email to The Huffington Post. "We support his decision."

In a press conference on Saturday, Babeu said the allegations are false but confirmed that he is gay, something he had not previously discussed. According to a tweet by the Arizona Capitol Times from his speech, "I am gay," he said.

The Phoenix New-Times broke the story about the Mexican man, referring to him only his first name, Jose. Babeu is both a staunch Republican and a hawk on border security -- making the allegations all the more surprising and potentially damaging.

News about Babeu could also prove damaging to the Romney campaign ahead of the state's Feb. 28 Republican presidential primary.

Jose told the New-Times that Charlie DeRose, Babeu's lawyer and campaign manager, threatened that he would push for his deportation if he disclosed their relationship.

A 34-year-old from Mexico, Jose provided the publication a photo of Babeu with Jose that appeared on its website, with Jose's face blurred out. Jose said that while working for the Babeu campaign on its social media and website, he and Babeu began an affair, which ended badly after he suspected that Babeu was cheating on him. DeRose then asked for the passwords to Babeu's accounts and asked Jose to sign a legal document stating that he would not speak of the relationship, according to Jose's account in the paper.

Jose said that DeRose had also claimed, incorrectly, that he had an expired visa and could be deported, according to the paper. Jose's attorney, Melissa Weiss-Riner, confirmed his account to the New-Times and the Arizona Republic.

Paul Babeu, Arizona Sheriff, Steps Down As Arizona Co-Chair Of Mitt Romney's Presidential Campaign

the guy lives an alternative life style, hes protected, the media will do a MGreevey for him, all forgiven....;)

oh shit, hes in the gop? there goes that, hes screwed.

Yep, he's screwed alright, especially in Pinal County. It's too bad, too, he is a good Sheriff. I used to live in Pinal County and voted for him.

Arizona Sheriff Rocked By Accusations Of Alleged Immigrant Ex-Boyfriend | TPMMuckraker

You might have to be from Arizona to know how big this this. This skinhead is buds with white supremacists and KKK - such as Arpaio, JT Ready and Kris Kobach. He's been in the center of several big scandals, including probably shooting himself in the side and blaming illegals, and buying a huge Hummer to go to and from his office to the cafe for lunch. He's the guy in that phony commercial showing McCain saying "finish the dang fence" even though Pinal county, where he's the fake sheriff, doesn't border on Mexico.

Funny thing is, even though he's as corrupt as his crony Arpaio, I almost feel sorry for him.

Naw, he's scum and brought it on himself.

The GObP/pubs/teebags will forgive anything of their own. That's why someone as corrupt and crooked as Santorum is accepted - even as possible POTUS. Also why Blunt, Ensign and the rest of the scum are re-elected.

If he were Dem, he'd be dumped. Case in point, Weiner. He didn't actually do anything, didn't break laws, didn't screw anyone but the Dems dumped him flat.

the guy lives an alternative life style, hes protected, the media will do a MGreevey for him, all forgiven....;)

I live in the Phoenix metro area, the valley, and I don't like Sheriff Babeu's stance of illegal immigration or his falsehoods about the extent of drug smuggling through his county. But I was impressed at the way he handled his "outing" at today's press conference. He is running for Congress and his republican primary mates are attacking him with fervor, as of today. Babeu was the run away front runner, but his money people are leaving already. He was slated to be a future governor of Arizona.

Arizona Sheriff Rocked By Accusations Of Alleged Immigrant Ex-Boyfriend | TPMMuckraker

You might have to be from Arizona to know how big this this. This skinhead is buds with white supremacists and KKK - such as Arpaio, JT Ready and Kris Kobach. He's been in the center of several big scandals, including probably shooting himself in the side and blaming illegals, and buying a huge Hummer to go to and from his office to the cafe for lunch. He's the guy in that phony commercial showing McCain saying "finish the dang fence" even though Pinal county, where he's the fake sheriff, doesn't border on Mexico.

Funny thing is, even though he's as corrupt as his crony Arpaio, I almost feel sorry for him.

Naw, he's scum and brought it on himself.

I'm a black racist liberal and no friend of Sheriff Babeu, but you are spouting lies. He didn't shoot himself nor was he suspected of shooting himself. That was one of his deputies. Babeu backed the guy's story, but then fired him for bragging in an interview with the same paper that broke yesterday's story about Babeu.

If your are going to bash the man get your shit straight.

I live in the Phoenix metro area, the valley, and I don't like Sheriff Babeu's stance of illegal immigration or his falsehoods about the extent of drug smuggling through his county. But I was impressed at the way he handled his "outing" at today's press conference. He is running for Congress and his republican primary mates are attacking him with fervor, as of today. Babeu was the run away front runner, but his money people are leaving already. He was slated to be a future governor of Arizona.

Man, I lived in Maricopa, and if you think he was exaggerating the amount of drug smuggling through that area you've got your head in the sand. People in Hidden Valley were seeing mule trains (groups of 10 or more illegals each toting 50-70 pound packs of drugs) a couple times a week. Just south of Maricopa where I-8 runs there were signs warning people of the drug traffickers and illegals moving through the area.

Here's one of them....

BLM_Warning_Sign.jpg

And here's another...

Warningsign-1.jpg

Man, I lived in Maricopa, and if you think he was exaggerating the amount of drug smuggling through that area you've got your head in the sand. People in Hidden Valley were seeing mule trains (groups of 10 or more illegals each toting 50-70 pound packs of drugs) a couple times a week. Just south of Maricopa where I-8 runs there were signs warning people of the drug traffickers and illegals moving through the area.

Here's one of them....

BLM_Warning_Sign.jpg

And here's another...

Warningsign-1.jpg

Yet the Sheriffs of Yuma, Pima, Santa Cruz, and Cochise Counties ( the counties that border Mexico) all gave lower figures for smuggling than Babeu, who's county doesn't border Mexico.

His fellow republicans are now saying he abused is power and lied about the incident with his ex-boyfriend, so why should he be trusted on the statements he made concerning illegals or drug runners?

Here's one of them....

BLM_Warning_Sign.jpg

And here's another...

Warningsign-1.jpg

Yet the Sheriffs of Yuma, Pima, Santa Cruz, and Cochise Counties ( the counties that border Mexico) all gave lower figures for smuggling than Babeu, who's county doesn't border Mexico.

His fellow republicans are now saying he abused is power and lied about the incident with his ex-boyfriend, so why should he be trusted on the statements he made concerning illegals or drug runners?

Pima County is 90% or more Fed and Res land, the smugglers (both drug and human) never set foot on anything the Pima Sheriff has control over. I lived in Maricopa, I have friends that live in Hidden Valley. I've hiked the area south of I-8 MANY times, ALWAYS well-armed. I've seen with my own eyes the amount of illegal traffic that flows through there. I've come upon 'lay-ups' where the illegals hide out and wait for their transportation to the safehouses in the Valley.

It ain't pretty...

Bordergarbage1.jpg

Bordergarbage3.jpg

The GObP/pubs/teebags will forgive anything of their own. That's why someone as corrupt and crooked as Santorum is accepted - even as possible POTUS. Also why Blunt, Ensign and the rest of the scum are re-elected.

If he were Dem, he'd be dumped. Case in point, Weiner. He didn't actually do anything, didn't break laws, didn't screw anyone but the Dems dumped him flat.

Do you realize how stupid you look?

Do you think the smugglers stop once they are across the border?

"Woo! We made it! Let's sell our drugs right here."

You think they haul their drugs on up to - what? - Denver?

No, of course not.

They are usually met, just across the border and the drugs are flown north from there.

Or do you really think that exhausted and dehydrated mules just keep on walking? No papers, no ID, no food or water or money but they just carry tons and tons of grass and other drugs, thousands of miles north?

For those who care, a national law enforcement agency said Sheriff Dupnik of Pima county was number one in the entire country for catching and deporting the most illegals. Crazy crooked Arpaio was number 13. Skinhead Babeu didn't make the list.

You think they haul their drugs on up to - what? - Denver?

No, of course not.

They are usually met, just across the border and the drugs are flown north from there.

Flown? And how many airstrips are there? How are all these planes flying in and out of the border zone unnoticed? How is it the police are unaware of these airstrips?

Are you making shit up AGAIN?

Or do you really think that exhausted and dehydrated mules just keep on walking?

Ever hear of a mode of transportation called a "car"?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back