ROKU 3...the review

You can make a satellite dish out of a coffee can.
Crystal diodes for frequency reception, just use the frequency formula, 2pflr2(Squared)

Last edited:
Okay, I'm "playing with it now, or just was a little while ago but after doing some research found out the the Roku 2 is just as fast as the 3 and cheaper, got mine (refurbished) for $50. Also picked up a digital (amplified) antenna, $25 shipped, just tested it out, get 65 channels, granted 2/3s of them are in Spanish....... but I get all the local stations and it's just as clear as watching it on cable and the antenna is currently lying flat on top of the TV cabinet, not even mounted to the wall yet. Sure I have to switch input on the TV but that's just one button and a couple of clicks to select which input I want.
Still have the cable for now until I get used to the Roku and set up my channel preferences.

Okay, I'm "playing with it now, or just was a little while ago but after doing some research found out the the Roku 2 is just as fast as the 3 and cheaper, got mine (refurbished) for $50. Also picked up a digital (amplified) antenna, $25 shipped, just tested it out, get 65 channels, granted 2/3s of them are in Spanish....... but I get all the local stations and it's just as clear as watching it on cable and the antenna is currently lying flat on top of the TV cabinet, not even mounted to the wall yet. Sure I have to switch input on the TV but that's just one button and a couple of clicks to select which input I want.
Still have the cable for now until I get used to the Roku and set up my channel preferences.

I like 3 for the headphone/remote and USB port.
You might check out SlingTV...live cable channels, and most have on demand shows, has ESPN 1&2 and HBO.
Although 80% of what I watch is good ol' Netflix

You might check out SlingTV...live cable channels, and most have on demand shows, has ESPN 1&2 and HBO.
My 2 has a headphone jack in the remote but is lacking the USB port. Don't watch ESPN or HBO, matter of fact most of what I watch (on the rare occasions I watch it) appears to be free.

My 2 has a headphone jack in the remote but is lacking the USB port. Don't watch ESPN or HBO, matter of fact most of what I watch (on the rare occasions I watch it) appears to be free.

USB port is pretty awesome.
I use FF Multi Converter (Linux) to convert avi etc. to mp4 and watch whatever on the Roku.
I used that extensively when I use to pirate more. Now that there are good/reasonable choices to purchase most anything - I rarely pirate anymore. I always preferred to be honest, that is if they provide a way to watch something without subscribing to the cable ripoff.
Get the YouTube app channel...then go to your laptop and sync with your Roku...awesome to be able to search youtube and watch in HD on your TV.

I "cut the cord" a few days ago (dropped Dish) and only have TV via streaming devices now. I bought a Roku 3 the next day to upgrade my Roku streaming stick that came with the TV. I took it back.

It was a bit faster, even though the stick is wifi and I had the 3 hooked up to the modem but there were a few issues for me. I could barely read the text in Netflix, it's very tiny. Also Netflix doesn't allow it to go into sleep mode, it dims the screen and asks if you want to exit Netflix. And you always have to exit Netflix or hit the home button.

None of those issues exist with the streaming stick. It's more a Netflix problem but Roku should oversee it, especially since it's a main draw.

Performance wize the 3 loads faster but it's only a few seconds here and there. Once running a show there's no difference and I can read the interface much easier. Somebody dropped the ball, the 3 should be all ironed out by now.

I instead ordered a Android box that's very loaded with hardware, even has a SATA port for an external drive. 6 gigs of memory, various other ports, including optical audio. I have a Gbox now but it's sorta underpowered but I installed the Netflix app yesterday and ran it straight from Android. It is slower than the stick but once running looks the same. I use Kodi (XBMC) for video and audio normally.

Forum List

Back