Rockefeller Family To Get Out Of Oil And Invest In Renewable Energy

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Woo hoo, this is BIG.

Cookies must be enabled. The Australian

IN 1862, a young John Rockefeller invested in the promising new industry of oil refining, thus beginning an enterprise that made him the richest man who had ever lived.

Now, descendants of America’s greatest oil baron have announced a plan to abandon the black gold and invest instead in renewable energy.

Representatives of the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, whose trustees include the oil baron’s last surviving grandson and several great-grandchildren, made the announcement in Manhattan on the eve of an international summit on climate change at the United Nations.

“John D Rockefeller, the founder of Standard Oil, moved out of whale oil and into petroleum,” said Stephen Heintz, president of the fund, which is worth $US850 million. “We are quite convinced if he were alive today, as an astute businessman looking out to the future, he would be moving out of fossil fuels and investing in renewable energy.”
<more>

Woo hoo, this is BIG.

Why is this big news. John D. was the smart cookie, he made the billions and shaped the modern world. Why do the decisions of his great grandchildren have any significance? All they did was inherit his fortune.

Lastly, if not for his foresight and that of his grandsons, the phrase "shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations" would probably be in play.

Wow, some of those Rockefeller heirs are bone-stupid.

Divestment doesn't harm oil companies, it just creates buying opportunities for other investors who aren't on the climate change bandwagon. I say go for it. I'm going to check to see what happens to oil company stocks and I'll be buying if the price dips enough.

Secondly, they don't even understand reality. From that NYT article:

Others want to shame companies that they believe are recklessly contributing to a warming planet.
The oil companies are doing no such thing. It's the consumers of the product that burn it. Damn, if these Rockefellers don't even understand such a simple point, no wonder they're so easily led by the nose by environmentalist leftists (but I repeat myself).

Damn hypocrites. If they want to help the environment, then stop living in 20,000 square foot houses, stop jetting to ski resorts and then to Hawaiian beach resorts, stop driving around in a limo, etc. Build a log cabin, eat pine cones, and don't use electricity and you'll then actually help the environment.

As stated in the OP, John D. Rockefeller had the foresight to go from whale oil to petroleum.
Now it's time for another change.

Idiots, Rockefellers make $ billions $, from banks.

The article or OP should at least acknowledge that it has been a long time since oil has had an effect on Rockefeller money.

Banks are Rockefellers profit.

They could care less about oil, the big money is in lending 10 billion dollars to country and simply profiting from interest.

Forum List

Back