Robbery, shooting case is legally complex

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Legal experts say the decision of whether to charge a 76-year-old man who allegedly shot and killed a 15-year-old robbery suspect will hinge on many factors, primarily whether the man thought his life was in danger.

The issue is complicated by the fact that the shooting happened away from the house, after the robbers had left.

In 29 years as a criminal defense lawyer in Charlotte, George Laughrun said he's never seen a case with so many “twists and turns.”

............(means i left part of it out)

The robbery victim was tied up as the teens ransacked the house, police said. At least one of the robbers had a gun, police said. A police report said the teenagers took jewelry, a black wallet, cash, a .38 revolver and a gold Masonic ring.

The teenagers ran from the house on Grier Road, police said. The man freed himself, had his wife call 911, and drove after them, police said.

Robbery, shooting case is legally complex - CharlotteObserver.com

how do you feel? was the old man wrong in chasing down the thugs? should he have simply called the police and left it to them? would you have done the same or waited for police? what do you think the thugs said to the older man as they tied him up and stole his stuff? how much would the adrenlin rush account for behavior on the part of the old man?

Logically, and from the sidelines, the thing to do would have been to just call the police, and not chase them down.

However, when you fuck with me and/or mine, I can get pretty nasty, and I'd probably have gone after them which wouldn't have helped anything. I protect what's mine pretty fiercely, though, and wouldn't have thought it through, more than likely.

The man was in a frantic state of mind having been tied up, robbed, his home invaded and his family threatened.

Were I on the jury I'd find him not guilty of murder by reason of he was really really and righteously fucking pissed off.

Not sure if that's a good legal defence, but it'd work for me in this case.

The man was in a frantic state of mind having been tied up, robbed, his home invaded and his family threatened.

Were I on the jury I'd find him not guilty of murder by reason of he was really really and righteously fucking pissed off.

Not sure if that's a good legal defence, but it'd work for me in this case.

I'll need you on my jury, should the same ever happen to me. :cool:

i have to agree..the one time i faced a person trying to break in they didnt get inside...da man...got home...told the person he would kill him if he ever came back on property or bothered anything...told him he ever scared me in any fashion again he would kill him. it was a very short and one way conversation....

the rush of living thru this worried about wife etc..imagine if the thugs touched the wife just being thugs...mocking the old man....pissed off would be the word

Legal experts say the decision of whether to charge a 76-year-old man who allegedly shot and killed a 15-year-old robbery suspect will hinge on many factors, primarily whether the man thought his life was in danger.

The issue is complicated by the fact that the shooting happened away from the house, after the robbers had left.

In 29 years as a criminal defense lawyer in Charlotte, George Laughrun said he's never seen a case with so many “twists and turns.”

The robbery victim was tied up as the teens ransacked the house, police said. At least one of the robbers had a gun, police said. A police report said the teenagers took jewelry, a black wallet, cash, a .38 revolver and a gold Masonic ring.

The teenagers ran from the house on Grier Road, police said. The man freed himself, had his wife call 911, and drove after them, police said.

how do you feel? was the old man wrong in chasing down the thugs? should he have simply called the police and left it to them? would you have done the same or waited for police? what do you think the thugs said to the older man as they tied him up and stole his stuff? how much would the adrenlin rush account for behavior on the part of the old man?

I'd like to see the 18 year olds charged with the murder of the 15 year old.

I feel that the man's life was no longer in danger as he had left the scene to chase them.

However, I would have also chased them down if they took emotionally valuable stuff from me that I couldn't replace, as I know the police would most likely never catch them.

I would have had my woman call the police and chased them too, even while my woman would be telling me not to be stupid and go after them.

I'm sure they were little bastard thugs and called him all sorts of crap.

In the end I think the old man has no defence, he chased them down and shot one of them. Yes they did break the law and steal from him but he broke the law by chasing them down to shoot them, one wrong doesn't justify another wrong IMO.

Oh and good morning Bones, my favorite lady on the forum :D

i would say he wishes the police would have handled it now he in big trouble. won't people ever learn crooks have more rights.

i would say he wishes the police would have handled it now he in big trouble. won't people ever learn crooks have more rights.

Right, or wrong, I think inside everyone is just that little nagging bit of self-satisfaction for taking matters into your own hands, rather than relying on someone else.

I'd like to see the 18 year olds charged with the murder of the 15 year old.

Yep.

And this is a major pet peeve of mine; parents making excuses for their kids when their little darlin' screw up.

His mother, Felicia Fluker, said Sunday her son was not a bad kid.
Hate to break this to ya Mom, but yeah he was.

Forum List

Back