Riots after WVU upset over Baylor

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
Authorities assess damage from riots sparked by WVUs upset win over Baylor FOX Sports

Morgantown authorities on Sunday assessed damage from riots that broke out following West Virginia's 41-27 win over No. 4 Baylor, while WVU PresidentGordon Gee warned students that he will not tolerate such behavior.

Crowds pushed over street lights and threw rocks, beer bottles and other items at public safety personnel and their vehicles. Numerous fires were set in the student-dominated Sunnyside area and other parts of the city.

Crowds also destroyed fencing protecting several construction sites and breached the properties, Morgantown Police Chief Ed Preston said.

"As a result of the dangerous behavior the events were declared riots," he said.

Law enforcement agencies from several jurisdictions responded to the riots. Police used pepper spray and chemical munitions to disperse groups of rioters after they ignored warnings to disperse. Preston did not say what type of chemical munitions was used but said the rioters were dispersed without any serious injuries.

I miss West Virginia. :D

Authorities assess damage from riots sparked by WVUs upset win over Baylor FOX Sports

Morgantown authorities on Sunday assessed damage from riots that broke out following West Virginia's 41-27 win over No. 4 Baylor, while WVU PresidentGordon Gee warned students that he will not tolerate such behavior.

Crowds pushed over street lights and threw rocks, beer bottles and other items at public safety personnel and their vehicles. Numerous fires were set in the student-dominated Sunnyside area and other parts of the city.

Crowds also destroyed fencing protecting several construction sites and breached the properties, Morgantown Police Chief Ed Preston said.

"As a result of the dangerous behavior the events were declared riots," he said.

Law enforcement agencies from several jurisdictions responded to the riots. Police used pepper spray and chemical munitions to disperse groups of rioters after they ignored warnings to disperse. Preston did not say what type of chemical munitions was used but said the rioters were dispersed without any serious injuries.

Crap would have happened even if WVU lost. That is life in Sunnyside. Don't like it, move to Star City.

Dumb drunk college kids. Do you suppose they will riot night after night? Loot nearby businesses? Call for the deaths of cops?
Or sleep it off and hope their faces weren't seen by authorities?

Ned Beatty doesn

Ned Beatty doesn't.

ned beatty squeal like a pig - Bing Videos

No way! Only inner city blacks riot.

The area is 4% black, and I'd bet you that more than 4% of the rioters were black.

for my first couple weeks there every time I went out I thought "You know, there is something odd in the place and I just cannot put my finger on it." It then hit me when I was standing in the grocery line. I had not seen a single black person in Morgantown who wasn't a student/prof and I didn't even see that many of them compared to most places. It is definitely a white city.

That said, sometimes the "riots" get overstated there. I am not sure if it is because of the reputation or if the city secretly like to play up how loyal people are to WVU. One night when I was there, someone had piled a bunch of trash and old furniture on the curb for the trash pickup. Someone dropped a lit cigarette into the pile by accident and the whole thing started going up. People started scattering it about and were trying to stomp the fire out, the fire trucks encountered a lot of pedestrians rubbernecking as it rolled onto the street, and the news reports were that it had be set on fire on purpose and the students were trying to keep the fire department from putting it out. They then declared they were going to remove all debris from curbs before games so we heathens couldn't try to burn the city down again.

The area is 4% black, and I'd bet you that more than 4% of the rioters were black.

for my first couple weeks there every time I went out I thought "You know, there is something odd in the place and I just cannot put my finger on it." It then hit me when I was standing in the grocery line. I had not seen a single black person in Morgantown who wasn't a student/prof and I didn't even see that many of them compared to most places. It is definitely a white city.

That said, sometimes the "riots" get overstated there. I am not sure if it is because of the reputation or if the city secretly like to play up how loyal people are to WVU. One night when I was there, someone had piled a bunch of trash and old furniture on the curb for the trash pickup. Someone dropped a lit cigarette into the pile by accident and the whole thing started going up. People started scattering it about and were trying to stomp the fire out, the fire trucks encountered a lot of pedestrians rubbernecking as it rolled onto the street, and the news reports were that it had be set on fire on purpose and the students were trying to keep the fire department from putting it out. They then declared they were going to remove all debris from curbs before games so we heathens couldn't try to burn the city down again.
Townies vs. College kids, eh?

WVU fans have a pretty well earned reputation for starting fires to celebrate big wins. Bizarre ritual, but there it is.

WVU fans have a pretty well earned reputation for starting fires to celebrate big wins. Bizarre ritual, but there it is.

And not every fire reported is a celebration. Drunk people with smokes start their own fair share, win or lose. Parts of Mo'town are also windy as hell depending on where you are in relation to the hill so sometimes things get a little out of hand when people are playing around. Sure some of it is a reputation fulfilling pressure, but like I said, everything I experienced is exaggerated in the hands of the press.

Townies vs. College kids, eh?

To an extent, but that is probably true in most college towns in which the local population gets outnumbered 2 to 1 come late August, especially with so many off campus students.

Couch burning. A time honored tradition in Morgantown. :D

316470131.png

il_570xN.206989926.jpg

18j4ux3ik3ynpjpg.jpg

Forum List

Back