Right to privacy must be upheld for legal gun owners

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by beagle9, Jan 4, 2013.

1. beagle9

beagle9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,896
    A quick story - I own gun's of course, and I have had them for years and years, and when a young man began coming around who had a shady past, and a gang exposed upbringing, I had to become as cautious and as responsible as I could be. I had to use good ole common sense while dealing with him. He needed help and guidance, and I tried to give him some, but his upbringing was engrained within him, and it came out in many ways that made me correct him many times.

I never allowed him into my home, because he asked way to many questions that were uncomfortable to me, so I just allowed him only into the yard and garden when he wanted to help me. His brother was a real bad thug and criminal, and he was torn between being like his brother or being like a normal kid. He asked me one time did I have any guns that I owned, in which I said to him immediately "Nope". He then said well how do you protect yourself (?) and I said well I just take a butcher knife and cut peoples heads off if need be.

I always keep my guns locked up, hidden and secret, and he never knew that I owned any at all.

This is why I thought "wow" when I heard about the idea in which some idiot had upon listing the names and addresses of gun owners somewhere in which this incident happened, and it made me see this immediately as an atrocity that should be met with criminal punishment for violating the right to citizens privacy, and violating the safety of the public at large for such an idiotic dangerous act.:eusa_shhh:

2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Yup.

3. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +28,342

Those names were already public information, so there's no privacy to violate. And how does this publishing of public info "violate the safety of the public"? Please explain.

4. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Privacy rights, as with other rights in general, place restrictions on government law or policy making entities only, not private entities such as newspapers:

And itÂ’s hard to imagine the grounds for a civil suit on the part of a handgun permit holder, since the applicant should be aware that his permit information would indeed be part of the public record.

5. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    If it's public it's out there sorry.

6. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Wait a minute..

Now you guys want privacy?

:lol:

7. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,259
    What should also be out there are the list of residences that DONT own guns!!! All you ever hear from the left is "fairness" this and "fairness" that. Whats fair is fair. The public has a right to know who's guarding their residences with wiffle ball bats.

8. zeke

zeke Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,868
    Nah skook, you are thinking about this all wrong.
    You know how you are fantasizing about blowing someones head off with your fine shotgun?
    Here's what you do. YOU publish your own name and address as a home that does not have guns. Then when the criminals arrive (and they will, right) you've got your target.

Course you might go to jail, but what the fuk, at least you got to shoot someone.

Hey and I finally found an article (no thanks to your kind) of a home owner defending his home with his weapon. Down in FL. A naked guy was choking the home owners dog when the homeowner woke up. Then the guy tried to bite the homeowner. So the homeowner shot him. In the leg. To bad he didn't have your shotgun eh? It is not millions of times like you all claim, but it's a start.

9. beagle9

beagle9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,896
    School me here a bit then, how is it that private gun owners and their ownership is somehow public information ? I didn't know this, but do tell please... The danger is that people could use the information to target their residences for theft later on, thus placing guns into the hands of criminals who are successful at thievery of this kind.

Has this nation absolutely no common sense anymore what so ever ? Kidding me right ?

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    i would guess the same way any other license is public information.

that said, i think the newspaper was wrong for publishing the addresses... it makes those locales targets for robbers who want those guns.

just like the rightwingut loons were wrong publishing the names and addresses of abortion doctors.... which targeted the doctors to be killed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1