Rick Santorum backs away from Langston Hughes quote

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Political Junky, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,534
    Rick Santorum backs away from Langston Hughes quote « 100gf | Politics and Computers

Rick Santorum, one of the front-runners for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, has recently featured the phrase ‘Fighting to Make America America Again’ on his campaign literature. It’s a decent slogan. But it was actually first used in 1938 by the poet Langston Hughes, and suddenly Santorum seems less sure about whether he wants to keep using it.

It’s unclear why Santorum would want to distance himself from the black, gay, pro-union poet Langston Hughes. In fact, the poem in which the phrase appears – titled ‘Let American be America Again’, is explicitly pro-union. But in reality Hughes seems to tick so many of Santorum’s boxes that it’s hard to know where to begin examining the possible reasons why he has apparently insisted that the phrase is not his official campaign slogan. He has also stated that he didn’t know the slogan came from Langston Hughes. Really, Rick? Wow, you’re not as up on your African-American pro-union poetry as we all thought…

2. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    anyone ever heard of Politics and computers.

but hey, I guess this is BIG NEWS.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    First, I would hardly say Santorum is a frontrunner.

Second, they neglected to mention communist, which is probably the reason he's backing away.

Personally, if you like the quote, I doubt it really matters who came up with it.