Resurrecting the ERA

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Wow, I thought the Dems won?

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/03-26-2007/0004553665&EDATE=

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Someone needs to explain the purpose to me. Opportunities?

http://www.acenet.edu/AM/Template.cfm?Section=HENA&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=17251

3. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I'd think it would be to provide legal recourse for violation of civil liberties and gives them better footing and legal standing for glass ceiling cases and discrimination suits.

4. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    no different than the purpose of the civil rights act or voting rights act or americans with disabilities act.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Right. American's with disabilities act is and was a joke. In neither case, disabilities or women, can one make a comparison with Civil Rights. Always was a joke.

6. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I agree with you there. But that still doesn't mean that discrimination against women isn't a problem. I'm sure you know the classic arguments of disparity in income between men and women so I'll spare you the figures.

But still, it's not like an Amendment stating that men and women are equal is going to ruin the spirit or language of the Constitution. I'd rather have that Amendment than, oh say, some other one I've heard proposed... :eusa_whistle:

:D

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually I very much like the very few number of amendments we've had to our constitution. As a woman, I was accepted to NW University Law School in 1979. That I chose not to go, my bad. I've held positions in corporation that had previously been all male, but that was way back, but after the defeat of ERA.

Salary disparity? I'm sure it still exists, but what's not acknowledged is the accusation-correct for the most part-that women with choices, excercise theirs to take more time off and leaves than men. See, men can take time off for birth of a child/adoption/sick parents, as can women. Women excercise that option more. Seriously, when excercised, it is a choice, one I would make when necessary.

8. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,764
    I've worked in corporations for the past 20 years - and have exeperienced a great deal of sexism and discrimination. But, afiac, the best revenge is living well. I'm happy with my personal progress - and know that it is because of my own abilities.

I don't want to work with or for people who are forced to associate with me by law. Nor do I want to be seen as not having earned my position and pay because of some affirmative action abomination.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Exactly. It's what is at the bottom of what's wrong with affirmative action. Most minorities that rise are more than able, yet they must go beyond that, since it's 'assumed' they were 'put there' by AA.

10. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,764
    Affirmative Action is an insult to competency, imo. It is rather sad that the goal of being valued for ones character and abilities has been twisted into categorization by DNA.