Resolution To Support Dissidents In Iran

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,028
    [youtube]X_LpvVFwybM[/youtube]

No good can come from this resolution. The Iranian dissidents do not require American approval to practice their fundamental human rights, and Iran's government can point to this and say that America is once again trying to stir up trouble within their nation. We need to realize that we don't have the authority, morally or otherwise, to pass judgement on the actions of other sovereign governments.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    ahh that changed in this century..didnt you notice? well in reality ...iran hated us for the change in the last century

3. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,028
    What changed?

4. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    A resolution alone is meaningless. However, objection to the violation of "sovereignty" is a similarly meaningless concept since greater authoritarianism would be permitted through a course of non-interference.

And I'm sure that bones means the U.S. sponsored anti-democratic regime change.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  5. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,028
    A resolution is meaningless. It doesn't help the Iranian protestors in any way and will simply lead to more problems between the Iranian and U.S. governments. Greater authoritarianism will be "permitted" regardless. A resolution isn't going to stop Iran's government from cracking down on the protestors.

6. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    There is a real democracy rising in Iraq, a Shia dominated one, that will have more influence than anything we say.

Now who said that would happen?

7. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I believe that's what I said. Regardless, the military removal of authoritarian governments ultimately constitutes a lesser imposition of authoritarianism than a course of non-intervention would have yielded, since the suffering of the respective citizenry through their denial of liberty would have been greater had no intervention occurred. But I don't advocate the military removal of Iran's government, as it were.

8. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Muqtada. Thanks for playing.

9. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,028
    I was agreeing with you. Though I disagree with the second part. We can't afford to be the policemen of the world, and we only ever make things worse in our attempt to change regimes.

10. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    That's a technical objection, not an ideological one. Regime change has typically gone badly because it often has an explicitly reactionary or authoritarian basis. For example, the CIA of course backed regime change in the cases of Mohammed Mossadeq, Jacobo Arbenz, Salvador Allende, and supported the terroristic Contras, the dictators Somoza, Noriega, etc.

Of all regime changes that the U.S. has engaged in, there are few authoritarians in the U.S. crosshairs, and the only two major figures that jump to mind are Fidel Castro and Saddam Hussein. Every attempt to remove Castro, failed, of course, but the interest in removing him was based on a ruling class desire to prevent the adoption of "subversive" Marxist ideology. Similarly, I would have supported the removal of Saddam Hussein based on his authoritarianism alone, but there were similarly unscrupulous motives behind his removal.

I maintain an anti-imperialist stance, of course, but not to the point of opposing potentially benevolent interventionism if it would prevent more repressive authoritarianism in the long run.