Republicans are 'not giving up' on Benghazi

Doc91678

Rookie
Nov 13, 2012
Binghamton
Republicans are 'not giving up' on Benghazi

By: Julian Pecquet
12/15/12

Republican lawmakers are vowing to keep pressing the administration on Benghazi despite Susan Rice’s decision to drop her bid to become secretary of State.
We'll continue to seek answers,” a Republican Senate aide told The Hill. “We're not giving up on it.”
Rice’s decision to step aside averted a contentious confirmation fight with Republican senators that might have pointed to an end to the political battle over the U.S. consulate attack. The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations had become the flash-point for criticism since describing the deadly attack as a protest gone awry three months ago.
Rice’s decision came as the Obama administration has been seeking to mend bridges with lawmakers who have felt deprived of information about the attack. The administration had planned to send Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to testify on Capitol Hill next week about the attack.
However, the State Department said Saturday that Clinton fainted and suffered a concussion after becoming dehydrated due to a stomach virus. She will not testify before House and Senate panels.
Clinton deputies Tom Nides and Bill Burns will testify in her place.
Republicans had promised tough questions for Clinton, and assert they’ll continue to hold the administration’s feet to the fire over how terrorists could have launched a successful attack on the U.S. consulate that left U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three others dead.
“We're not going to let this go,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Rice's most prominent critic along with Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), vowed on Fox News after her decision was made public. “How could, for seven hours, nobody come to the aid of the people during the attack? Why did we leave the consulate open? Where was the president when the British decided to close their consulate in June? And afterwards, how did the intelligence get so screwed up, for lack of a better word?
“So we're going to keep pressing this so we can learn from it and not have it happen again,” Graham said.
McCain made the same promise through his spokesman.
“He will continue to seek all the facts about what happened before, during and after the attack on our consulate in Benghazi that killed four brave Americans,” Brian Rogers said in a statement.
And Rep. Ed Royce (R-Calif.), the incoming chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, also made it clear he has unanswered questions.
“We expect the secretary of State to come and answer some questions that frankly have been asked by the media and the House and the Senate,” Royce told Fox News. “There are real answers to be given here.”
The Senate remains in Democratic hands however. And in the House, action will largely depend on Rep. Darrell Issa's (R-Calif.) desire to make Benghazi a priority of his oversight committee, which has subpoena power.
Issa held a hearing on security lapses in Benghazi in October and has requested numerous diplomatic cables and other internal State Department documents, but he has largely stayed silent about the Benghazi attack since the election. His office did not return a request for comment Friday.
Clinton is expected to brief the House and Senate foreign affairs panels about the findings of the independent panel reviewing security lapses in Libya on the day of the September 11 attack and in the days before it.

Read more:
Republicans are 'not giving up' on Benghazi - The Hill's Global Affairs

Hmm... Will Maobama claim Execute Privilege on the State Dept. responses and E-mails?
Who gave the orders to stand down and sacrafice these men?
Why was the releiving of Genearl Officers that night during the attack kept secret?

I'm just waiting for the next executive privilege stone wall to drop into place. Seems to have become a favorite Maobmam tactic to avoid questions.

Good for them. The administration sent these men in there and they were killed we need to know why to prevent future occurrences. I face decisions like that fairly routinely and if I sent a man into work where he got hurt I would be held responsible. Matter of fact them just getting hurt without me doing anything and they would hold me responsible. Obama's administration should be no different. We all knew Libya was a hot bed. Those there sent warnings. Time to find out what really happened and if Obama comes out unscathed then so be it. But if the democrats have an ounce of self respect they too would wish for the truth to come out. Rice's turning down a job she wasn't even offered officially seems to me to indicate something ain't right.

It is the responsibility of the opposing party to not let these things drop. Democrats and Republicans should praise the system for working. If that were not the case Nixon would never have gotten Impeached and neither would have the liar under oath Clinton.

I think what really could happen is that the father of the fallen SEAL sue the government for wrongful death.

Go ahead and waste your time. Why do you think nothing came out on the subject before the election.

Because we do not have an impartial press as we did in the past. Also Hillary refused to release the information that Bill told her to release.

I realize that the left doesn't like the questions asked just like the Republicans didn't like the questions asked during Nixon and that president actually did some really good things. So it is natural for the incumbent's party to defend without question and it is the Press's and the opposing party to ask the questions.

Maybe nothing will come from it, that is what I think. But I think it important to those who died that the questions are asked and answered truthfully. What we know now is that the administration was not telling the truth after the truth was obvious. Why they were not needs to be found out. If it was merely to win an election then I say impeach. If it was just an error in reading the CIA information then shame on them.

Last edited:
I am not sure how folks think that defending a gay man who was killed apparently needlessly is a losing situtation.

Go ahead and waste your time. Why do you think nothing came out on the subject before the election.

Because we do not have an impartial press as we did in the past. Also Hillary refused to release the information that Bill told her to release.

I realize that the left doesn't like the questions asked just like the Republicans didn't like the questions asked during Nixon and that president actually did some really good things. So it is natural for the incumbent's party to defend without question and it is the Press's and the opposing party to ask the questions.

Maybe nothing will come from it, that is what I think. But I think it important to those who died that the questions are asked and answered truthfully. What we know now is that the administration was not telling the truth after the truth was obvious. Why they were not needs to be found out. If it was merely to win an election then I say impeach. If it was just an error in reading the CIA information then shame on them.

If the Republicans were not asking the questions before the election, I doubt if there is anything to it. They could have skewered Obama but good.

Thankfully someone is trying to get at the truth, we sure wouldn't expect it from this administration.

Next up is the executive privileged hammer to fall on the American people, yet again.

If the Republicans were not asking the questions before the election, I doubt if there is anything to it. They could have skewered Obama but good.

They were asking the questions. And without doubt there was a lot of stuff Republicans could have thrown at Obama but for some reason did not. Them making an even bigger deal out of it before the election would have only elicit the comment that it was being done for political reasons. So let us now ask the questions and get answers and let the chips fall where they fall. Our men deserve at least that much.

Republicans kept the Whitewater investigation going for seven years. I'm sure they will have no problem with Benghazi

I am not sure how folks think that defending a gay man who was killed apparently needlessly is a losing situtation.

Right...'cause that's what this GOP witch hunt is about.
smiley-rolleyes010.gif

They were asking the questions. And without doubt there was a lot of stuff Republicans could have thrown at Obama but for some reason did not. Them making an even bigger deal out of it before the election would have only elicit the comment that it was being done for political reasons. So let us now ask the questions and get answers and let the chips fall where they fall. Our men deserve at least that much.

If there was anything there, they certainly would have done it for political reasons.

Ambassador Stevens was not gay.

But don't let me stop your cheerful smearing of the dead.......

Forum List

Back