Republicans Are Having Some Trouble Talking About Rape and Incest

ā€˜By the time the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last week, 13 states were ready with so-called trigger laws that would ban abortions within their borders immediately. (Additional states had pre-Roe prohibitions in place that will now be enforced.) One notable thing about these trigger statutes, which have been gradually enacted over the past two decades, is that most of them do not make any exceptions for cases involving rape or incest.

This absolutist approach to abortion prohibition was once considered both morally and politically unthinkable, but came into vogue in red states thanks to the increasingly hard-line views that have come to dominate both the conservative movement and anti-abortion activism in particular. The reasoning behind it is straightforward enough: If life really starts at conception and abortion is murder, then terminating a pregnancy for any reason at all must be banned. The issue is that outside the world of conservative ideologues, it remains a wildly unpopular policy.

Take Yesli Vega, a GOP house candidate in Virginia, who was caught on tape during a campaign stop musing that women might be less likely to get pregnant in cases of rape. This is a long-running myth with deep origins in the anti-abortion movement, which might explain why it was proposed first by someone attending the campaign event. On the audio, first reported by Axios, the audience member asks: ā€œIā€™ve actually heard that itā€™s harder for a woman to get pregnant if sheā€™s been raped. Have you heard that?ā€ Vega responds: ā€œWell, maybe because thereā€™s so much going on in the body. I donā€™t know. I havenā€™t, you know, seen any studies. But if Iā€™m processing what youā€™re saying, it wouldnā€™t surprise me. Because itā€™s not something thatā€™s happening organically. Youā€™re forcing it.ā€

No exceptions for cases involving rape or incest is widely unpopular because itā€™s wrong.

You all are in fat trouble and even Roe v Wade is not going to save you

Vastly more complicated.

Fascinating that people don't seem to grasp how problematic this loophole is...
Nope. If women have to put up or shut up, you won't hear from them. I know some I have in mind a particular 13 year old mother wanting child support from the 25 year old "rapist". It never occurred to her that the young man would be arrested on the spot. Instantly. The poor child was in hysterics.

The Japanese are a better people. After the tragedy and tsunami of Fukushima there was no looting. No one was attacked. High school kids helped the elderly. You would not see that in the United States. Trains are a major form of transportation. Americans that have returned from Japan have no reports of stabbings, beatings or shoving people onto the tracks.

Japan allows very little immigration. They don't hate one another and hate the country.

Okay, let's look at that. You do have a point that the Japanese are xenophobic and don't allow immigration. But here's what else they do. They have universal health care. They have gun control. (Probably the strictest in the industrialized world). They have extensive social welfare programs. Employment is pretty much considered a right, and it's a big scandal in Japan if unemployment creeps over 5%.

In short, they do a lot of the stuff we refuse to do. And as a result, they don't have anywhere near the crime levels.

Okay, let's look at that. You do have a point that the Japanese are xenophobic and don't allow immigration. But here's what else they do. They have universal health care. They have gun control. (Probably the strictest in the industrialized world). They have extensive social welfare programs. Employment is pretty much considered a right, and it's a big scandal in Japan if unemployment creeps over 5%.

In short, they do a lot of the stuff we refuse to do. And as a result, they don't have anywhere near the crime levels.
Move there commie

If I spoke fluent Japanese, I'd consider it.

But you know, when you are a grown up and you see someone getting it right when you are getting it OH SO WRONG, you maybe look at what they are doing right.
I'm not getting anything wrong commie. Get out of my country!

do they have roe vs wade?

See what you can do without immigration, Blacks or Mexicans. Impressive isn't it?

43,000 gun deaths including 19,000 murders. I can't see us getting it more wrong than that.
how many gang violence on the plantations? Got those figures? all illegal guns. stuff you know that you conveniently omit all the time. you hate them blacks huh?

See what you can do without immigration, Blacks or Mexicans. Impressive isn't it?
nail on head.gif

43,000 gun deaths including 19,000 murders. I can't see us getting it more wrong than that.
You filth keep letting violent criminal go. You filth won't prosecute felons with firearms. You filth, over and over.

how many gang violence on the plantations? Got those figures? all illegal guns. stuff you know that you conveniently omit all the time. you hate them blacks huh?
ALL of those guns wee manufactured legally and found their way into the hands of criminals. Inevitable with so many and such lax gun laws

ALL of those guns wee manufactured legally and found their way into the hands of criminals. Inevitable with so many and such lax gun laws
Lush won't enforce any gun laws will you lush?

Forum List

Back