Report: Cash for Clunkers Auto Program Cost Taxpayers $24,000 Per Vehicle

How is paying someone around 1/4 of the money it takes to buy something that they were going to buy in any event a "success"?
Again we have the typical CON$ervative fuzzy math fudging the numbers. From the Faux link, "The report also said that the average cost for a vehicle in August 2009 was only $26,915 -- minus an average cash rebate of $1,667." So a $1,667 average rebate on a $26,915 average price is exaggerated to 1/4 of the price.
BRILLIANT!!!!! :cuckoo:

Yours, mine, and everyone else's, of course.

I thought that besides fuel economy the program was designed to get people spending.

If I'm going to buy a car no matter what and suddenly I'm getting a rebate from the tax payer on my purchase now I can go out and spend that money on other things and get other sectors moving again.

If I was going to buy a car anyway and suddenly got a rebate from joe taxpayer on my purchase, I would save the difference and be joyous that I saved the bucks. I wouldn't go out and spend the difference.

That's you. As we know most Americans love spending "free" money.

I know. Maybe they should save it then they would have it when they needed it for something, rather then spending it on something they wanted.

When most of the people who bought the cars were going to buy one anyways?

Even if that means that auto sales crater, like they did, after the program ends?

IMO, yes because of the capital it frees up.
How does taking money from someone who would have spent it on X and giving it to someone who is buying Y free up any capital?

You're breaking my leg, then handing me a crutch and telling me how lucky I am to have you there to give me the crutch.

When most of the people who bought the cars were going to buy one anyways?

Even if that means that auto sales crater, like they did, after the program ends?

How does taking money from someone who would have spent it on X and giving it to someone who is buying Y free up any capital?

You're breaking my leg, then handing me a crutch and telling me how lucky I am to have you there to give me the crutch.

If I'm spending going to spend X dollars on a car and then the gov't gives me Y back then X-Y = the money I now have freed up to spend elsewhere.

me too! give 24 people a thousand dollars. That's more fair if we are going to just piss money away.

If I'm spending going to spend X dollars on a car and then the gov't gives me Y back then X-Y = the money I now have freed up to spend elsewhere.

You know that feeling when you are in a reclining chair and you have just gone back to far?
I just got it.

Forum List

Back