Repeal of the XVII Amendment

To me, it comes down to accountability of Senators

Are they accountable to the people that elected them or the politicians who selected them?
Again if the people's elected representatives select the senators, they are in effect selected by the people and are at least accountable to people in their own state. Hopefully true public servants will represent the people. They are far less likely to do so when they are accountable to outside big money interests or the deep state.

Again if the people's elected representatives select the senators, they are in effect selected by the people and are at least accountable to people in their own state. Hopefully true public servants will represent the people. They are far less likely to do so when they are accountable to outside big money interests or the deep state.

A Senator who was selected (not elected) is accountable to the party and the state party bosses that selected them.

They may give We the People lip service but they would have no incentive to care about public reaction.

Elected Senators still have loyalty to their party, but many fail to get re-elected because they offended the voters.

A Senator who was selected (not elected) is accountable to the party and the state party bosses that selected them.

They may give We the People lip service but they would have no incentive to care about public reaction.

Elected Senators still have loyalty to their party, but many fail to get re-elected because they offended the voters.
The Senator appoint by a state legislature is still at least beholden and accountable to people within his/her own state. The senator bought and paid for by outside sources is not.

Which is why Republican Senators from red states vote in ways you abhor and think should be overridden. They're representing their state.

The Senator appoint by a state legislature is still at least beholden and accountable to people within his/her own state. The senator bought and paid for by outside sources is not.
And every time we see outsider money pouring into a state, trying to influence the voters, we see the "bought and paid for by outside sources" take place.

You, personally, and the people who think as you do, are the greatest threat to our Republic that has existed since our inception.
Again, this is about a bad faith effort to advance the tyranny of Republican minority rule by controlling the Senate contrary to the will of the American people through partisan legislative appointments.

Again, this is about a bad faith effort to advance the tyranny of Republican minority rule by controlling the Senate contrary to the will of the American people through partisan legislative appointments.
Hmmm. You do realize, don't you, that those making the appointments are themselves elected by the people in their states? Hence they are REPRESENTING, not being contrary to, the will of the people in their states, and quite frankly, the people of the other states can pound sand.

How many working class, middle American Senators do you think would be selected in back room deals?

Senators would owe their seat to the partisan party that selected them. They would be afraid of offending the party boss in their state and not care at all about the opinion of We the People
That's because in the Senate, the "people's" opinions should NEVER matter. That is where the HoR comes in.

TNHarley has a good point about voters. And they are all deceived. Voting got Americans where they now are, and voting is not going to save anyone except the creeps they vote for or against.

TNHarley has a good point about voters. And they are all deceived. Voting got Americans where they now are, and voting is not going to save anyone except the creeps they vote for or against.

The right to vote stops Tyranny

Which is why Republican Senators from red states vote in ways you abhor and think should be overridden. They're representing their state.

And if they were selected by partisan legislatures they would represent their party

And if they were selected by partisan legislatures they would represent their party
And those legislators got to be partisan because they were elected by the voters.

Are you saying that the extremely democrat legislatures in California and New York are NOT elected by the voters?

Except that you want "the people" in California to dictate policy to "the people" in Mississippi.

The fact that low population Mississippi has the same number of Senators as California proves otherwise

Im torn about this. People should decide but the voters, by a HUGE margin, are complete dumbfucks.
Agreed. OTOH, I agree with rightwinger, OTH, after my college days, I had done a lot of things in my wild youth, I doubt many folks on here, have. I had a beat professor, and several authors I admire, recommend, that real education, comes from LIVING, NOT BOOKS, so I have lived in the ghettos among gang members, and have subleted rooms in the boonies in a trailer park. I roamed, and did things.

Folks that have been to college, really need to understand, all of the voting public is not as educated as they are, and tends to vote based on those yard signs or on emotionally triggering commercials, not on the government and econ. classes, that they failed in high-school.

The founders, were, well aware of this principle, so they established a REPUBLIC, not a democracy.

6ye40j.jpg

Forum List

Back