Rep. Murtha Clarifies 'Racist' Remark, Calls Western Pa. 'Redneck'

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
This guy should really just stop talking.

Democratic Rep. John Murtha said Monday some of his constituents in western Pennsylvania are "rednecks" and the entire region just five to 10 years ago was "really redneck."

The comments come one week after he called his own constituents "racist" in an interview with his local newspaper.

"What I said, that indicted everybody, that's not what I meant at all. What I mean is there's still folks that have a problem voting for someone because they are black," Murtha said.

Murtha said the history of southwestern Pennsylvania is teeming with racism. "This whole area, years ago, was really redneck," he told WTAE-TV Pittsburgh.

Murtha, a Democrat, apologized last week for calling the area "racist," but challenger Bill Russell said it was a reckless insult to the people in his district and the "cheapest of cheap shots."

Russell, an Iraq war veteran, swiftly put out a 30-second Web video on Murtha's quote and plastered his Web site with references to it, using it as a fundraising pitch with 19 days to go until the Nov. 4 election.

Rep. Murtha Clarifies 'Racist' Remark, Calls Western Pa. 'Redneck' - FOXNews.com Elections

You say this like being a redneck is a bad thing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7ycJD15uP8"]Red Necks, White Socks, and Blue Ribbon Beer[/ame]

Only because Redneck has been a derogatory term used by yankees to describe us southern folk. Jeff Foxworthy took the term back though. :D

Boo hoo. The right and Palin have been talking about "big city elitists (and elites" for forever and a day. Hell, she calls small towns "real America", as if the FDNY is somehow not part of real America.

Only because Redneck has been a derogatory term used by yankees to describe us southern folk. Jeff Foxworthy took the term back though. :D

Apparently he didn't "take it back" completely enough if some get all crazy when they hear themselves referred to by that term.

Actually, the really derrogatory terms are cracker or po' white trash.....

It was amazing how much contempt my farmer family southern grandmother could express when saying those words in reference to those she considered worthy of her disgust for them.

Forum List

Back