Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wehrwolfen, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Wehrwolfen

Wehrwolfen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns​

By By Craig Whitlock
    January 1, 2013

The three European men with Somali roots were arrested on a murky pretext in August as they passed through the small African country of Djibouti. But the reason soon became clear when they were visited in their jail cells by a succession of American interrogators.

U.S. agents accused the men — two of them Swedes, the other a longtime resident of Britain — of supporting al-Shabab, an Islamist militia in Somalia that Washington considers a terrorist group. Two months after their arrest, the prisoners were secretly indicted by a federal grand jury in New York, then clandestinely taken into custody by the FBI and flown to the United States to face trial. . .

Continued 1 2 3

(Excerpt)

Read more:
    Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns - The Washington Post

2. JustTheFacts

JustTheFacts BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Good, I hope he's waterboarding them as we speak.

3. Freemason9

Freemason9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I have an honest question. Would you be equally opposed to this under a Republican presidency? Or is this just partisan whining?

4. JustTheFacts

JustTheFacts BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57
    fair question to him.

Now I have one for you. Don't you find it at all disturbing that Obama was adamantly opposed to rendition as a candidate and in fact all but called it a crime, and now that he's President Obama they are suddenly a ok?

5. Wehrwolfen

Wehrwolfen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Weren't you the whiner and crier of the extremes of Rendition by President Bush ?

6. Freemason9

Freemason9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458
    Yes, it is immensely disturbing for me. I only supported the re-election of Obama because the alternative was so horrible, and I honestly wish the GOP would get away from the right wing radical elelment that apparently runs that party these days. I would consider myself as a working-class conservative; I'm no neocon (I don't like the "sacred cow" of military spending), I'm pro-labor, I'm opposed to welfare that discourages work, I'm for a higher minimum wage.

I don't fit in well; go figure. Obama was my best choice, but he disappoints me every day.

7. BlindBoo

BlindBoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,398
    In 2009, a White House task force on interrogation and detainee transfers recommended that the government be allowed to continue using renditions, but with greater oversight, so that suspects were not subject to harsh interrogation techniques, as some were during the George W. Bush administration.

So to recap the difference is torture, or lack thereof to the Bush era renditions.

But then again Bush didn't have the kewl Killer Drones to use like Obama does either.

8. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,885
    Granny says, "Dat's right - if ya can't torture `em to get `em to talk here, take `em where dey can be...
    :eusa_eh:
    Rendition gets ongoing embrace from Obama administration
    January 2, 2013 - The three European men with Somali roots were arrested on a murky pretext in August as they passed through the small African country of Djibouti. But the reason soon became clear when they were visited in their jail cells by a succession of American interrogators.
    See also:

Congress OKs bill to grow rewards for terrorism justice program
    January 2, 2013 WASHINGTON — Congress has approved legislation that would expand the U.S. State Department's rewards for justice program to target the world's most serious human rights abusers, with African warlord Joseph Kony a top target.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013