Remembering Republican Statements

Remember how the Repubs always reminded the country that Dems were "out of the mainstream"? Well the shoe is on the other foot now, the Repubs are the ones who are out of step with the American people, they are the ones who are "out of the mainstream".

Your statements are just as absurd as the GOP ones were in 2000 and 2004. In all three instances (2000, 2004, and 2008) a substantial chunk of the people in this country voted for the other side. So one can hardly say that either party is completely in touch with the mainstream or completely out of touch with it. It's a little bit of a jostle one way or other that makes the difference.

yes i do
Clinton didnt bypass congress
Well technically you are correct. It was a Democrat congress in 1992 that first directed Fannie and Freddie to significantly increase mortgage purchases for low income borrowers through HUD that set the rates. In 1995 Clinton directed HUD to increase rates. And again in 1999. Republicans objected each time. But race baiting and pressure by ACORN and other groups kept any significant protest to a minimum.

October 1992 - The Federal Housing Enterprises Financial Safety and Soundness Act of 1992 creates the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight, and mandates HUD to set goals for lower income and underserved housing areas for the GSEs Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

United States Department of Housing and Urban Development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well technically you are correct. It was a Democrat congress in 1992 that first directed Fannie and Freddie to significantly increase mortgage purchases for low income borrowers through HUD that set the rates. In 1995 Clinton directed HUD to increase rates. And again in 1999. Republicans objected each time. But race baiting and pressure by ACORN and other groups kept any significant protest to a minimum.

United States Department of Housing and Urban Development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
did you miss this one?

March 1996 - The Housing Opportunity Program Extension Act give public housing authorities the tools to screen out and evict residents who might endanger other existing residents due to substance abuse and criminal behavior

did you miss this one?

March 1996 - The Housing Opportunity Program Extension Act give public housing authorities the tools to screen out and evict residents who might endanger other existing residents due to substance abuse and criminal behavior
OK - so you do have a reading problem...

OK - so you do have a reading problem...
no, it seems to be YOU with the reading problem
the act was passed by congress
republicans had control of congress at the time
face it, they screwed up by acting like democrats

no, it seems to be YOU with the reading problem
the act was passed by congress
republicans had control of congress at the time
face it, they screwed up by acting like democrats
What the hell are you talking about?

So we're supposed to believe the Republican spin machine that 11% of all subprime mortgages and 1.7% of all mortgages brought down the US financial system?

Yeah, that's what we're supposed to believe, and my or my, don't some people just cling to that theory?

Some of the banks that went down were lending at a 40 to one ratio for christ's sakes.

Given that amount of risk, they could have been knocked over with damned near any feather-weight financial crises to our economy.

The housing downturn was enough to sink them and as they sank, they took other banks down which bought their bonds and called them assets.

And THOSE banks were counting those assets so they TOO could lend out money at absurdly high rates compared to their capitalization.

Domino effect.

Bad business practices drive out goods ones.

It was not Republican legislation. The CRA was created by the Carter administration in 1977 and expanded by Clinton in 1995 using the Housing and Urban Development department and bypassing congress.
The CRA didn't do away with downpayments. It simply made it illegal to charge a higher rate for being black.

Do you really believe that the Repubs are in the mainstream?
I guess thats a matter of opinion...but I do remember them R's saying the Dims were not in the mainstream....and thats two completely different ideas isn't it?

Well you remember, good, then you also remember that the Repubs used the fact that they got more votes (even if it was barely more that 50%) to justify their claim that that Dems were out of the mainstream, so, by that logic it is obvious that Repubs are now far out of the mainsteam.

I sure remember Dem statements of the past, don't you?

No, the question was "do you remember Repubs statements", so how about an answer? Should the majority rescind the right of the minority to fillibuster? A yes or no answer will suffice, come on now, up or down!

Now that the GOP has been deposed, it might be a good time to remember statements and positions they made/took while they controlled all three branches of the government.

Remember how the Repubs always reminded the country that Dems were "out of the mainstream"? Well the shoe is on the other foot now, the Repubs are the ones who are out of step with the American people, they are the ones who are "out of the mainstream".

Remember when the Repubs in the Senate were talking about doing away with the right of the minority party to fillibuster? This became known as the "Nuclear Option" and all the usual suspects were in favor of it. All we heard from the Limbaughs and the Hannitys of the world was "up or down vote". Well I wonder if they still think that the minority should have their right to dissent stripped away by the majority?

There were a number of arrogant statements coming from the radical right but this one from Limbaugh pretty much sums it up, "Just shut up and go away until you win an election". Do you suppose we will not be hearing from Rush before the 2010 mid-terms?

Maybe the mainstream has changed, it isn't 2004 anymore you know.

Limbaugh pretty "Just shut up and go away until you win an election"
I wonder what he has to say now?

Maybe the mainstream has changed, it isn't 2004 anymore you know.

Limbaugh pretty "Just shut up and go away until you win an election"
I wonder what he has to say now?
When a liberal quotes Rush Limbaugh you can be sure it is out of context. Rush was talking about Democrats attempting to impose liberal constraints on Bush's judge nominations...

But the repubs did talk about taking away the filibuster. I think the Dems should bring it back to the table again.

The Dems winning will make Rush more popular. Now he can spout his hate and talk his garbage about the party in power all year. Well, that is when he is not high on some illegally obtains drugs.

Hey, maybe he will make another cut on Michael J. Fix faking it? Now that really showed his class, didn't it?

But the repubs did talk about taking away the filibuster. I think the Dems should bring it back to the table again.

The Dems winning will make Rush more popular. Now he can spout his hate and talk his garbage about the party in power all year. Well, that is when he is not high on some illegally obtains drugs.

Hey, maybe he will make another cut on Michael J. Fix faking it? Now that really showed his class, didn't it?
uh, no they didnt
they talked about removing the filibuster for judicial appointments because the constitution only requires a simple majority for the advice and consent
by filibustering appointments it made it require a super majority
thus making them unconstitutional

uh, no they didnt
they talked about removing the filibuster for judicial appointments because the constitution only requires a simple majority for the advice and consent
by filibustering appointments it made it require a super majority
thus making them unconstitutional
They also talked about what goes around comes around. So Dems should get used to their own medicine now that the supermajority went thud.

For the democrats from an old republican. "There just ain't no money in politics anymore. They just made it to hard with all these new rules you know?" From a long term state senator.

For the republicans from an old democrat, "Ah honey, all sheriffs are all crooked why you can't be a sheriff and not be." from a twenty year US senator.

They also talked about what goes around comes around. So Dems should get used to their own medicine now that the supermajority went thud.

They are probably staying up night, wringing their hands over the whole issue...:lol:

The GOP whores who became drunk with power for six years are now paying with a massive hand over. But I don't think Obama will abuse Presidental power like Bush did.

They are probably staying up night, wringing their hands over the whole issue...:lol:

The GOP whores who became drunk with power for six years are now paying with a massive hand over. But I don't think Obama will abuse Presidental power like Bush did.
Then you must be a typical Obama voter that John Ziegler conclusively proved were completely clueless about anything in the election except "hope", "change" and Sarah Palin's children and wardrobe. They voted for slick packaging and were kept in the dark by the sycophantic mainstream media about how sleezy Obama is.

To have your eyes opened go here:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/65363-obama-will-be-blackmailed-possibly-many-times.html

Forum List

Back