Remember the signs "We reserve the right to refuse service"?

If people like you weren't such assholes, these laws would not have been established. Thanks to your kind, they are the law of the land, and the country is better for it.
My kind? I've served gays and plenty of other races & nationalities without refusing service.
In fact the only job I've ever refused was a cranky old white lady who ran rental properties.

You fail
You kind is the kind who tolerates discrimination, without fighting back.
Yup. Serving the gays & blacks without question is tolerating discrimination.

You're a loon
Your own OP states you would have no problem with that being done. Read what you write, Grandpa...
My op says no such thing. What it implies is that I don't need the government to tell me that a business is conducting business in an immoral way. Americans are quite capable of taking a business down if they deem it to be running improper.
You on the other hand are implying that you're not smart enough to figure it out

Americans have taken those businesses down. We have a government of the People, remember?

My op says no such thing. What it implies is that I don't need the government to tell me that a business is conducting business in an immoral way. Americans are quite capable of taking a business down if they deem it to be running improper.
You on the other hand are implying that you're not smart enough to figure it out

given the Tobacco industry is still doing well, I think that Americans aren't capable of taking down improper businesses. The same can be said of strip joints and gun stores.

This isn't what's being discussed here. The question is, are Public Accommodation laws proper if a business openly discriminates on the basis of race or sexual orientation.

Which they totally are.

I do

It was a time when the American public was considered responsible enough to police itself. And no I'm not talking about the 50's or 60's

Now the government clearly thinks Americans are too stupid to deal with shady businesses without being told what to do.

Yes Grampy, you are talking the 50s...because in the 60s laws were passed. The 1964 Civil Rights Act, Title II to be exact.

Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination because of race, color, religion, or national origin in certain places of public accommodation, such as hotels, restaurants, and places of entertainment. The Department of Justice can bring a lawsuit under Title II when there is reason to believe that a person has engaged in a pattern or practice of discrimination in violation of Title II. The Department can obtain injunctive, but not monetary, relief in such cases. Individuals can also file suit to enforce their rights under Title II and other federal and state statutes may also provide remedies for discrimination in places of public accommodation.
So, you've not had an absolute right to refuse service since then. States have expanded on the PA protections in the CRA.

The Right to Refuse Service

You’ve probably seen these signs at restaurants: “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.” Or, “No shirt, no shoes, no service.”

But what do these signs really mean? Can a business just refuse service to someone? Can they throw you out if you forgot your flip-flops on the beach? When is a refusal to serve someone justified and when is it discrimination that could lead to a lawsuit?[...]

What Do the Anti-Discrimination Laws Say?

At the heart of the debate is a system of anti-discrimination laws enacted by federal, state and local governments. The entire United States is covered by the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination by privately owned places of public accommodation on the basis of race, color, religion or national origin. Places of “public accommodation” include hotels, restaurants, theaters, banks, health clubs and stores. Nonprofit organizations such as churches are generally exempt from the law.

The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination by private businesses based on disability.

The federal law does not prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, so gays are not a protected group under the federal law. However, about 20 states, including New York and California, have enacted laws that prohibit discrimination in public accommodations based on sexual orientation. In California, you also can’t discriminate based on someone’s unconventional dress. In some states, like Arizona, there’s no state law banning discrimination against gays, but there are local laws in some cities that prohibit sexual orientation discrimination.

So, no matter where you live, you cannot deny service to someone because of his or her race, color, religion, national origin or disability. In some states and cities, you also cannot discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation. If there is no state, federal or local law prohibiting discrimination in public accommodations against a particular group of people, then you can legally refuse to serve that group of people.​

I do

It was a time when the American public was considered responsible enough to police itself. And no I'm not talking about the 50's or 60's

Now the government clearly thinks Americans are too stupid to deal with shady businesses without being told what to do.

They weren't responsible enough to police themselves. They set arbitrary standards based on personal biases and hatreds

Unless you can show a public safety or violation of law, all men are created equal

Forum List

Back