Remember The "Hero" Who Stole The School Bus And Drove Katrina Survivors To Houston?

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
NEW ORLEANS - A man hailed by some as a hero for stealing a school bus the day after Hurricane Katrina to take 60 stranded residents to safety in Houston has been indicted on federal drug and gun charges.

Jabar Gibson, 21, was charged Thursday by a grand jury with cocaine and heroin trafficking and possession of a gun while dealing drugs.

Authorities said Gibson was carrying 1.7 grams of cocaine, an undisclosed amount of heroin and a .357-caliber revolver when he was caught by New Orleans narcotics detectives and federal agents on Jan. 7.

At the time of his arrest, Gibson was facing heroin charges in an unrelated case from November. New Orleans police said he tried to ditch the drugs while being pursued by officers in a public housing complex.

Gibson got a movie offer and coast-to-coast media attention after he stole a yellow Orleans Parish school bus and drove 60 people from New Orleans to the Astrodome in Houston. He was not charged for swiping the bus.

Gibson was arrested Nov. 25 shortly after he returned to the city from a temporary home in a Houston hotel. He was free on bond at the time of his second arrest, authorities said.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...on_re_us/storm_hero_charged&cid=519&ncid=1112

GunnyL said:
1.7 grams? Is that even visible?

If memory serves, two paper clips weigh approximately a gram, so in weight, a little more than 3 paper clips worth. The weight of the .357 is of more concern.

GunnyL said:
1.7 grams? Is that even visible?

about a thimble full...even more visible if he snorted it...he would be flying high for sure!... :cof: 28 grams to the ounce!

MissileMan said:
If memory serves, two paper clips weigh approximately a gram, so in weight, a little more than 3 paper clips worth. The weight of the .357 is of more concern.

I'm just wondering how you "deal" 1.7 grams of cocaine?

GunnyL said:

Mules and low level dealers received a cut from the sale merchandise...about a ounce or two from a kilo or less depending on the dealers volume...he probably used the rest and this was all that was left...this may not be the case today as the last bust I made was 1986...but I would bet dollars to donuts it is pretty close! also as for illegal aliens alot of drug mules carried the loads across the border as payment to the Coyotes!...food for thought!

GunnyL said:

The coke may have been for his own use, he may have been dealing the undisclosed amount of heroin. If it were crack cocaine, it would already be in small pieces (rocks) and from what I've seen on cop shows would take a few to make a gram, so it's possible he was dealing both. He also may have been heading to his stash for a refill after selling most of his immediate stock.

MissileMan said:
The coke may have been for his own use, he may have been dealing the undisclosed amount of heroin. If it were crack cocaine, it would already be in small pieces (rocks) and from what I've seen on cop shows would take a few to make a gram, so it's possible he was dealing both. He also may have been heading to his stash for a refill after selling most of his immediate stock.

I just wanted to know how many posts it would take for someone to bring up the heroin. ;)

It just reminded me of some stand-up comedy from the late 70s when Leon Sphinx got busted for a dollar and "fitty" cent worth of cocaine.

GunnyL said:

If it is pure you could cut it and make it go along way. It was probably recreational. He most likely had a big load of heroin. Thats what undisclosed usually means.

onthefence said:
If it is pure you could cut it and make it go along way. It was probably recreational. He most likely had a big load of heroin. Thats what undisclosed usually means.

Ya are talking in my turf...undisclosed usually means minuscle amount...that was probably used to cut and enhance or his personal preference...at any rate this dude is not a hero just a perp...who used the bus to escape...end of story!

archangel said:
Ya are talking in my turf...undisclosed usually means minuscle amount...that was probably used to cut and enhance or his personal preference...at any rate this dude is not a hero just a perp...who used the bus to escape...end of story!

Not too sure about that. No one is 100% bad. Perhaps he WAS a hero then for the right reasons, AND he's not a hero now for the right reasons. A bad act now doesn't negate a good act then. Just my opinion.

GunnyL said:
Not too sure about that. No one is 100% bad. Perhaps he WAS a hero then for the right reasons, AND he's not a hero now for the right reasons. A bad act now doesn't negate a good act then. Just my opinion.

however I truly do not believe he is up for a good sammaritan award...imo!

GunnyL said:

He made a damn good poster boy for the inefficiency of LA first responders tho !

dilloduck said:
He made a damn good poster boy for the inefficiency of LA first responders tho !

I think it's kinda' funny myself. He should have been smart enough to know that he would be under the microscope for EXACTLY the reason you mention. He made some important people look stupid.

I thought this thread was about a druggie that was caught...it is a bash FEMA thread...I will bow out now!

archangel said:
...undisclosed usually means minuscle amount...that was probably used to cut and enhance or his personal preference...

Sorry, thought it was the other way around. It was told to me that way.

Forum List

Back