Remember McAllen? It's now a health care success story

R

rdean

Remember McAllen It s now a health care success story The Advisory Board Daily Briefing

More than five years after Atul Gawande identified McAllen, Texas, as the most expensive city for health care in the United States, the city has become an example of how health reform could address such issues

Viewpoints A 8216 Success Story 8217 In McAllen Texas 8216 Uniquely High Prices 8217 In Health Care Kaiser Health News

McAllen, Tex., was the most expensive place for health care in the United States. ... Five years later, the situation has changed. Where McAllen once illustrated the problem of American health care, the city is now showing us how the problem can be solved, largely because of the Affordable Care Act that Mr. Obama signed into law in 2010

---------------------------------------

Good news!

Remember McAllen It s now a health care success story The Advisory Board Daily Briefing

More than five years after Atul Gawande identified McAllen, Texas, as the most expensive city for health care in the United States, the city has become an example of how health reform could address such issues

Viewpoints A 8216 Success Story 8217 In McAllen Texas 8216 Uniquely High Prices 8217 In Health Care Kaiser Health News

McAllen, Tex., was the most expensive place for health care in the United States. ... Five years later, the situation has changed. Where McAllen once illustrated the problem of American health care, the city is now showing us how the problem can be solved, largely because of the Affordable Care Act that Mr. Obama signed into law in 2010

Good news!
So many people see Obamacare as a failure because their health insurance cost is not lower. There's another side to the story. One of my daughters works in healthcare. See is seeing a patient, 51 years old, who has not been able to see a doctor for over 10 years and was able to get a colonoscopy last year. Unfortunately there were two cancerous plops removed. He had radiation therapy and one surgery, and his prognosis is very good. Success stories like this are being repeated across the nation. It's not headline news but it's important, really important.

With the new job I'm taking, I'm going to end up spending $1100 for health insurance this year, which I won't use. Not once. That could have been money I spent bills. My employer will be spending three times that much for the policy that I don't even want. That's money they could have just paid me directly instead. Thanks Obamacare!

With the new job I'm taking, I'm going to end up spending $1100 for health insurance this year, which I won't use. Not once. That could have been money I spent bills. My employer will be spending three times that much for the policy that I don't even want. That's money they could have just paid me directly instead. Thanks Obamacare!
Well congratulations on your ability to see the future so clearly, to know you want slip while hiking and end up with over $200,000 in medical bills or headaches and dizziness that are diagnosed as brain cancer at a cost of over $300,000. And BTW, there's not a state in this country were you have to pay $1100 for your health insurance. If your're paying that much, it's for family coverage, lower deductibles and co pays.

My healh insurance premium and my companys contribution went up ....Again....
Paying more for insurance....

Obama lied.

Well congratulations on your ability to see the future so clearly

It's a pretty simple matter, and one that people do every single day. Actually, it's something that insurance companies do in order to help price premiums and determine how much coverage they can afford to provide.

It all starts with statistical probabilities. What are the chances that I will end up with a brain tumor over the course of the upcoming year? Pretty damn slim. What are the chances that I'll hurt myself hiking? Pretty much zero, since I'm not a hiker. What are the chances that I'll have a stroke or heart attack? Inconsequentially nil.

The real risks in my life are being injured by someone else's bad driving, being killed by neighborhood watch clowns for illegal possession of skittles, becoming a victim of a random act of criminal violence, or being too close to a nuclear explosion in the event that WWIII begins. If any of that happens, having health insurance won't mean a damn thing.

And BTW, there's not a state in this country were you have to pay $1100 for your health insurance. If your're paying that much, it's for family coverage, lower deductibles and co pays.

Clearly you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. I'll spend $1100 for health insurance this year, which is only 25% of the total cost of the monthly premium. My employer will spend an additional $3300 on the health insurance that I don't even want. And liberals wonder why wages are stagnant and so low! That's $4400 that could have just gone into my paycheck. But because Obamacare forces people to have insurance, and forces companies to provide insurance to their employees, that $4400 is going to go right into the pockets of insurance companies. Obamacare makes the rich man richer and the poor man poorer!!!

After spending $1100 this year for health insurance, I still won't get any actual coverage until after I've spend $10,000 as the deductible. Health insurance in this country is always a losing proposition, and liberals think it was a good thing to force people to buy into it.

I didn't see the reason that the 51 year old didn't have insurance in the first place.

Most people do not get colonoscopys prior to being 50 so why would he have gotten on before 51?

Last edited:

It's a pretty simple matter, and one that people do every single day. Actually, it's something that insurance companies do in order to help price premiums and determine how much coverage they can afford to provide.

It all starts with statistical probabilities. What are the chances that I will end up with a brain tumor over the course of the upcoming year? Pretty damn slim. What are the chances that I'll hurt myself hiking? Pretty much zero, since I'm not a hiker. What are the chances that I'll have a stroke or heart attack? Inconsequentially nil.

The real risks in my life are being injured by someone else's bad driving, being killed by neighborhood watch clowns for illegal possession of skittles, becoming a victim of a random act of criminal violence, or being too close to a nuclear explosion in the event that WWIII begins. If any of that happens, having health insurance won't mean a damn thing.

And BTW, there's not a state in this country were you have to pay $1100 for your health insurance. If your're paying that much, it's for family coverage, lower deductibles and co pays.

Clearly you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. I'll spend $1100 for health insurance this year, which is only 25% of the total cost of the monthly premium. My employer will spend an additional $3300 on the health insurance that I don't even want. And liberals wonder why wages are stagnant and so low! That's $4400 that could have just gone into my paycheck. But because Obamacare forces people to have insurance, and forces companies to provide insurance to their employees, that $4400 is going to go right into the pockets of insurance companies. Obamacare makes the rich man richer and the poor man poorer!!!

After spending $1100 this year for health insurance, I still won't get any actual coverage until after I've spend $10,000 as the deductible. Health insurance in this country is always a losing proposition, and liberals think it was a good thing to force people to buy into it.

If all you are paying is 1100 per year then me thinks you should STFU, that is quite low. Even putting in what you say is the employer's contribution that is really low. I was dropped from my promised health care to be thrown on the much more affordable Obamacare. It was going to cost me 1200 per MONTH vs the approximately 300 I was paying.

Watch the TV ads for Obamacare and the one point that is expressed the most is that YOU too can get subsidized, you too can be on the government dole. Yep, great system.

Good news!
So many people see Obamacare as a failure because their health insurance cost is not lower. There's another side to the story. One of my daughters works in healthcare. See is seeing a patient, 51 years old, who has not been able to see a doctor for over 10 years and was able to get a colonoscopy last year. Unfortunately there were two cancerous plops removed. He had radiation therapy and one surgery, and his prognosis is very good. Success stories like this are being repeated across the nation. It's not headline news but it's important, really important.
Cancerous plops???

Man, that IS serious.

I didn't see the reason that the 51 year old didn't have insurance in the first place.

Most people do not get colonoscopys prior to being 50 so why would he have gotten on before 51?

Family history made me get one at 35.

No problem for this guy though.

All the people who have been paying for their own insurance while this guy was developing cancerous plops(probably spending his insurance money on harmful substances which can lead to cancerous plops) will continue to pay for their insurance, AND, even get to pay in more, to cover this guy's "pre-existing condition".

If all you are paying is 1100 per year then me thinks you should STFU, that is quite low.

Paying $1100 a year for something that I will not and cannot use is not "quite low." It is money down the drain, and a good chunk of change at that.

Was it a stool sample they examined when they determined his plops to be cancerous?

If all you are paying is 1100 per year then me thinks you should STFU, that is quite low.

Paying $1100 a year for something that I will not and cannot use is not "quite low." It is money down the drain, and a good chunk of change at that.

True enough. I never in my life used healthcare to the point of breaking even. Same goes for car insurance. So far I have been lucky enough only to pay into life insurance with no reward. But I never know, maybe tomorrow I'll be collecting on that life insurance policy.....well maybe not me.

I guess you are saying you are willing to go without insurance knowing if you should have an accident you might be financially bankrupted?

True enough. I never in my life used healthcare to the point of breaking even. Same goes for car insurance. So far I have been lucky enough only to pay into life insurance with no reward. But I never know, maybe tomorrow I'll be collecting on that life insurance policy.....well maybe not me.

I guess you are saying you are willing to go without insurance knowing if you should have an accident you might be financially bankrupted?

I think that's a decision that people should be able to make for their own selves. At this point in my life, life insurance is a much better investment for me than health insurance. If something so substantial happens to me that I have a need to utilize health insurance, then 99.9% likelihood is that I'm going to be dead anyway. The $250K life insurance paid out to my siblings will easily cover the costs of my cremation and any momentary emergency services that were used. The very occasional times in my life when I've needed some kind of treatment, I've simply paid out of pocket. The worst I've needed was about 9 years ago when .....eh, long story. Suffice it to say that having to jump out of the back of a pick-up at 40 mph brought about a sprained knee and three stitches. Went to the doctor and paid up.

I'd much rather be able to collect the extra $4400 cash and use it as I see fit. Hell, I could use the extra money to buy a gym membership and pay for some personal training sessions, and do alot better preventative care than I could get from a doctor's office.

$1100 a year or $92/mo is cheap for health insurance even with a $10,000 deductible.

You apparently don't understand the the real purpose of insurance. It's not there to pay for what is likely to happen but what is unlike to happen. And when that unlikely even occurs as it eventually will, it's your health insurance that protects not just yourself from a financial disaster but all the rest of us that will be stuck with paying your medical bills through higher medical costs.

Was it a stool sample they examined when they determined his plops to be cancerous?
No, colon cancer can't be diagnosed at this time from just a stool sample. The only way to get a reliable diagnosis is with a colonoscopy. In a colonoscopy, the doctor examines the walls of the colon and rectum for polyps. If he find any, he removes them during the procedure and has them biopsied. If the biopsy is negative, the removal of the polyp will prevent it from becoming cancerous. If the biopsy is positive, the colonoscopy will lead to treatments that will probably save a life.

Stool samples, Hemocults only show the presence of blood in the stool which can be caused by a number of things. There's a new stool test that uses DNA analysis which is promising but it's still in the testing phase.

Last edited:

As I understand it, the man had some kind of preexisting condition which meant he would be in a high risk insurance with insurance premiums he could not afford. Since his income was above the poverty level, he could not qualify for medicaid. When he was eligible for Obamacare, he signed up, saw a doctor who recommend a colonoscopy.

A solution to the health insurance problem

Under my plan, normal thinking Americans would receive health care via premiums or government paid health care just like what everyone receives in the counties with the highest quality health care systems. Christians and believers of other idiotic absurdities would automatically be placed on the Prayer Care Plan. This plan would not cost the government (or anyone else) anything at all. When believers got sick, they would pray for recovery. It's really that simple.

so if their was a car accident of those who don't want to pay for insurance, a "pray care" team will be sent to the scene of the accident

$1100 a year or $92/mo is cheap for health insurance even with a $10,000 deductible.

You don't seem to be getting the point. It's an entirely useless waste of money. How is it "cheap" when it is an entirely useless waste of money?

You apparently don't understand the the real purpose of insurance. It's not there to pay for what is likely to happen but what is unlike to happen.

So that's why it was so important for the law to require birth control.

You apparently don't understand what Obamacare is, what it requires, and how health insurance works.

And when that unlikely even occurs as it eventually will

That is, without a doubt, one of the dumbest fucking things ever said on these forums. An unlikely event "eventually will" occur? Then it's not an unlikely event! By definition, an unlikely event probably will never happen.

But I guess I shouldn't expect intelligence from liberal Obamacare apologists.

You don't seem to be getting the point. It's an entirely useless waste of money. How is it "cheap" when it is an entirely useless waste of money?

You apparently don't understand the the real purpose of insurance. It's not there to pay for what is likely to happen but what is unlike to happen.

So that's why it was so important for the law to require birth control.

You apparently don't understand what Obamacare is, what it requires, and how health insurance works.

And when that unlikely even occurs as it eventually will

That is, without a doubt, one of the dumbest fucking things ever said on these forums. An unlikely event "eventually will" occur? Then it's not an unlikely event! By definition, an unlikely event probably will never happen.

But I guess I shouldn't expect intelligence from liberal Obamacare apologists.
If you really believe what you're saying, health insurance is a useless waste of money, there is no point in discussing the issue with you.

Forum List

Back