Remakes- they are usually awful

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by JoeB131, Jan 7, 2012.

1. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,091
    One of the things Hollywood does that really annoys me are remakes.

If the movie was good enough to start with, there's no reason to make it again. If it wasn't, the idea probably sucked and no amount of tinkering will fix it.

One that really annoyed me was the remake of "The Stepford Wives". Great little horror movie from the 1970's. Men are having their feminist wives replaced by compliant robots. Tapped into two great fears of the time- Feminism was destroying the traditional family and we can all be replaced by machines.

Fears we've gotten over by 2005, so no reason to remake this movie. but they did anyway, and made it with characters so unlikable you'd want them to be replaced by machines. But the machine versions were really annoying, too.

Planet of the Apes- Sucked. The Day the Earth Stood Still- Sucks on toast. Halloween- Let's totally destroy the initial concept by giving Michael Meyers a backstory.

2. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,034
    There was one I saw and hated, two hours I'll never get back. Straw dogs.

3. Gagafritz

Gagafritz Lady Germanotta Snicks

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Actually, i rarely go to the movies anymore. I am sooo SICK of stupid remakes. No. I don't want to see "Alice in WOnderland" remade and reinterpreted for the umpteenth time. Are there no original stories and story writers left? Everything at the movies lately is a remake. Mission Impossible , Sherlock Holmes and on and on. How about something fresh and new?

4. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,930
    Mission Impossible 3 wasn't that bad. Of course, it took Hollywood three attempts just to break even.

5. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,091
    I think part of the problem is that if you make something new, you run the chance no one will go out and see it.

A remake means you already have fans that will come out and take a look, even if it's to see the wreck at the side of the road.

6. Gagafritz

Gagafritz Lady Germanotta Snicks

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Some of the remakes aren't that bad. But for me to go to the movies with my kids costs at least 50+ with popcorn. It has to be worth the time and expense for me to go or i can find other ways to spend money. Actually, we really enjoyed Puss N Boots 3D. Thought that was pretty good. And, Harry Potter movies were made for the big screen as well.

7. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,514
    A remake means the copyrights are renewed or transferred while they try to make money off of it, same as in the music business, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  8. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,727
    One of my favorite movies of all time is, The Thing -- From Another World. That movie was made in 1951 and I don't know how many times I've seen it since then. It's a low-budget, unspectacular, black & white science fiction effort which I find so appealing mainly because it's based on a credible premise rather than some of the fantastic and revolting contemporary contrivances such as Aliens and Predators, etc.

The 1981 remake of The Thing From Another World is titled simply, The Thing. It stars Kurt Russell and is a feeble technicolor attempt to emulate the appeal of the original's remote Alaskan atmosphere but they've imposed an absurd werewolf type alien creature. It fails totally and the result conforms 's with the OP's complaint: It's a boring disappointment.

9. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    I just saw Fright Night.

Pretty good job, actually.
    :cool:

Not that it was a great movie to begin with, so......

10. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,391

Almost everything in your post is wrong. :lol:

The Kurt Russell remake of the Thing is an excellent sci-fi/horror movie. The first 2 Alien movies are both extremely good, some of the best sci fi movies ever in fact. Now, if what you meant was the more recent Aliens vs Predators movies, yes, those were garbage.

I'm not sure why the shapeshifting alien is so absurd, but the humanoid plant of the original Thing is reasonable. :)