Religion linked to obesity in young adults

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Bill O'Olberman, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Bill O'Olberman

Bill O'Olberman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124
  2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,858
    Dispelling the myths of obesity...
    :eusa_eh:
    Authors try to separate fact, fiction on obesity
    Jan 31,`13 Fact or fiction? Sex burns a lot of calories. Snacking or skipping breakfast is bad. School gym classes make a big difference in kids' weight.
    See also:

New rules aim to get rid of junk foods in schools
    Feb 2,`13: WASHINGTON (AP) -- Most candy, high-calorie drinks and greasy meals could soon be on a food blacklist in the nation's schools.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,858
    Uncle Ferd likes his womens 'pleasingly plump'...
    :eusa_shifty:
    Study dispels 'obesity paradox' idea for diabetics
    15 Jan.`14 ~ The "obesity paradox" — the controversial notion that being overweight might actually be healthier for some people with diabetes — seems to be a myth, researchers report. A major study finds there's no survival advantage to being large, and a disadvantage to being very large.

4. Agit8r

Agit8r Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,174
    This isn't rocket science. If a person isn't feeding one sort of fleshly desires, they are feeding another sort.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    It's been alarming to watch my fellow American grow fatter and fatter and fatter over the last six decades.

Not a clue what's causing it, really but seriously...people are becoming fatter on average.

Its especially sad that so many kids are fat by the time they're in HS.

It was NOT like this 40 years ago.

If you were really fat it was not common.

Now not being fat is unusual.

6. Vox

Vox Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +876
    it's amazing to which lengths idiots will go to avoid the simply truth - obesity is linked to eating TOO MUCH - that's ALL :lol:

btw. so-called "study" which has not adjusted for any other biases is laughable, to say the least.

if you follow a group of people for 18 years you might find that wearing sneakers and flat shoes is linked to obesity as well :lol:

I can even guarantee you that :D

7. Vox

Vox Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +876
    don't eat too much and you won't be fat.

Period.

Where is my Noble prize award?

8. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,659
    The "lead investigator" is a college kid barely old enough to drink a beer and it's big news to MSNBC because....well you know why.

9. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Determining the reasoning for this is not rocket science. What did you do all summer long when you were a kid? If you were like me, you were outside playing baseball, football, smear the queer, hide and seek late at night, basketball, riding bikes, cutting the grass of many neighbors, delivering newspapers, and on and on and on. As a kid, I was always on the go. In high school I ran cross country and track.

What do kids do today? Most of them sit at home playing video games and eating, and parents are somewhat complicit in this because so many are too afraid to let Johnny go outside and play with his friends if he isn't completely supervised by an adult. Helicopter parents are no help, and parents are this way based on a false belief that it is a much more dangerous world today than it was when we were kids. The statistics tell us that it is the exact opposite; kids are safer today than they were when we were kids, but parents are constantly bombarded with news of kids being abducting on the other side of the country. While it doesn't happen that often, parents are exposed to it because we get our news instantly today, and we get it form the entire country/world.

Honest to God if we want to do something about the obesity problem among our kids, the answer is simple. Make physical education a required part of our kids' education on a daily basis from grade 1 through 12. They can make the school day longer, and yes it would cost school districts some money, but the benefit would far outweigh the cost. Truthfully, we should be looking at obesity as a national epidemic, because it is one. As much as many people worry about what our kids are eating, the food really is not the biggest problem; it's the lack of exercise.

When I think back to what I ate when I was in high school, it was a lot. I would eat a couple of bowls of cereal for breakfast. For lunch, I ate three school lunches. My parents were not thrilled about paying for three lunches. If it wasn't cross country or track season, I would go to Wendy's or McDonald's right after school and have a burger, fries, and a shake. Then I would eat dinner around 6 PM, where I would have at least two helpings of everything, if not three. At 9 PM or 10 PM, I would eat three or four hot dogs or a couple of sandwiches before going to bed. Bottom line, I ate an awful lot. I weighed 120 lbs. Today, at 50 years of age, I still eat at least 3000 calories per day. That's about half of what I ate in high school, and I try to keep my weight just under 140.

Not everyone is going to be like me, obviously, but it really isn't the amount of food as much as it is the lack of exercise.

10. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Starving the body is not a good thing. Lack of exercise is the bigger problem. People who get enough exercise can eat quite a bit and not gain weight. The body is meant to be used, not just to sit around and get fat. I eat over 3000 calories per day, and I only weigh 140 lbs.