Regarding Bernie's "Free" College, What About Those Still Paying

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
One of the planks in Sanders' platform is "free" college education. Of course, it's not actually free. It will be paid for in higher taxes, but what about those of us who are already repaying? I currently owe $60,000 in student loans, which stems from business school and then two universities where I got my Bachelor's and then my MBA. I'm paying $500 a month on those loans for roughly the next 20 years unless I make extra payments. I accepted this debt and knew what I was doing when I took it out, so while the payments suck each month, I'm not bellyaching over it.

I do have a problem, however, with politicians like Sanders expecting me to pay higher taxes so I can pay for somebody else to go to college for "free" while I still have to make my $500 a month payment. There is no way I'm going to support a program like that. If I'm going to have to pay for somebody to go to school then, yeah, at that point I damn well expect my student loans to be forgiven, but that's not part of his equation. I don't see Sanders becoming president anyway so it's more like just a moot discussion, but hypothetically speaking, if this were to become reality I'd be very tempted to stop making my student loan payments at that point. I already have a house and I'll just go out and buy a new car ahead of time before my credit starts to get fucked. I wonder how many people would do the same.

What about the ones that did the responsible thing and repaid their loans? My husband and I paid our way, I'm not going to pay for anyone else except our children. I don't owe anyone an education

One of the planks in Sanders' platform is "free" college education. It will be paid for in higher taxes, but what about those of us who are already repaying?

I ... have a problem, ..., with politicians like Sanders expecting me to pay higher taxes so I can pay for somebody else to go to college for "free" while I still have to make my $500 a month payment. ... If I'm going to have to pay for somebody to go to school then, ... I damn well expect my student loans to be forgiven, ... if this were to become reality I'd be very tempted to stop making my student loan payments at that point. ...

You silly person.

You're doing the non-thinking knee-jerk, and that's a difficult dance when it comes to keeping the beat.

Here's how it would have to work:

First the bill has to be passed, months go by,
Then the taxes have to be collected, a year or two go by.

By then reality should set in. There's no way that enough money will come in to pay back all the loans taken out since the loan program began. Some of us are simply going to have to suck it up.

There might be a dropping of interest charges for people like you, nice tax breaks, some sort of nice incentive, but America chose to elect officials that didn't believe in free public education, the damage is done, so we have to suck it up.

That's not to say that the next generation of college kids gets a free ride.

Again, there won't be enough tax money for everyone. The full grant will probably go to those that keep up their GPA. I bet that those with a 2.9 or lower will get a LOT less money.

And those of you that are stupid enough to think you won't pay into the program - Your parents/ grandparents drove on dirt roads. Did they refuse to have the roads paved for the next generation of drivers?

You don't want our country to remain behind every other country in the free world (and a lot in the not-so-free spots.)

We need a strong education system. That you missed out is too bad. Rent a backhoe and scoop that sand out of your vaginas.

And those of you that are stupid enough to think you won't pay into the program - Your parents/ grandparents drove on dirt roads. Did they refuse to have the roads paved for the next generation of drivers?

You don't want our country to remain behind every other country in the free world (and a lot in the not-so-free spots.)

We need a strong education system. That you missed out is too bad. Rent a backhoe and scoop that sand out of your vaginas.

Pay for it if you want not me. It's a no matter, Sanders won't get the nod anyway and no Congress will ever fund his pie in the sky Unicorn fart anyway

You pay for your own damn family granny.

Something you pay for is something with value. A "free" college education will be as second-rate in the future as our "free" public education has become now.

Even if you end having to pay for some little snowflake's college education, Taz, just be grateful you can at least attach some value to yours.

You pay for your own damn family granny.
Not how the real world works. We're a collective in a sense.

One of the planks in Sanders' platform is "free" college education. Of course, it's not actually free. It will be paid for in higher taxes, but what about those of us who are already repaying? I currently owe $60,000 in student loans, which stems from business school and then two universities where I got my Bachelor's and then my MBA. I'm paying $500 a month on those loans for roughly the next 20 years unless I make extra payments. I accepted this debt and knew what I was doing when I took it out, so while the payments suck each month, I'm not bellyaching over it.

I do have a problem, however, with politicians like Sanders expecting me to pay higher taxes so I can pay for somebody else to go to college for "free" while I still have to make my $500 a month payment. There is no way I'm going to support a program like that. If I'm going to have to pay for somebody to go to school then, yeah, at that point I damn well expect my student loans to be forgiven, but that's not part of his equation. I don't see Sanders becoming president anyway so it's more like just a moot discussion, but hypothetically speaking, if this were to become reality I'd be very tempted to stop making my student loan payments at that point. I already have a house and I'll just go out and buy a new car ahead of time before my credit starts to get fucked. I wonder how many people would do the same.
It will be paid for in higher taxes
And you think the tax will affect you? Sanders doesn't even need federal taxes to fund spending, it doesn't work this way. Not operationally.

I do have a problem, however, with politicians like Sanders expecting me to pay higher taxes so I can pay for somebody else to go to college for "free" while I still have to make my $500 a month payment. There is no way I'm going to support a program like that.
You do realize that people could have said the same thing in the past when public schooling was introduced?

By then reality should set in. There's no way that enough money will come in to pay back all the loans taken out since the loan program began. Some of us are simply going to have to suck it up.

I ain't sucking up shit, sweetheart. Speak for yourself.

That's not to say that the next generation of college kids gets a free ride.

That's exactly what it means.

In any case, as I said before. It's unlikely to happen anyway.

Really stupid comparison. We all drive on the roads. I don't get a job with my neighbor's Ph. D.

Clearly the only way to change is more free shit.

We need a strong education system.

We could start by getting politicians out of it.

Rent a backhoe and scoop that sand out of your vaginas.

What a sexist thing to say.

Sanders doesn't even need federal taxes to fund spending, it doesn't work this way.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
Operationally, this is not the case. When you pay your taxes, a number is marked down, a gold coin doesn't appear in a pot somewhere to be used to fund things later.
When the government spends, it creates dollars from thin air. How do you think iraq was paid for? Did your taxes go up to cover the cost?

You do realize that people could have said the same thing in the past when public schooling was introduced?

Apples and oranges comparison
Not at all. Apply it to many things we have, and the arguments are the same:
"Social security? But I already have a private retirement plan! Fuck that guy!"
"A minimum wage? But I already make that much.. I hate these lousy people. I'm going to sell everything and kill myself!"
"Public school? I paid for my kids to get educated at a private school, no way that leech down the street is getting his kids educated for free! I have to pay for his lousy ass! Fuck the government!"

Really stupid comparison. We all drive on the roads. I don't get a job with my neighbor's Ph. D.

We need a strong education system.

We could start by getting politicians out of it.

Rent a backhoe and scoop that sand out of your vaginas.

What a sexist thing to say.
Correct. A free lunch does indeed exist.
Yes, There Is Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Bernie Sanders can take his free college program and shove it up his fucking ass. I worked my way through college as did many of my friends. I expect nothing less from today's college students. I also attended a college within my budget so I didn't have any major debt when I graduated. It's simple fucking math people. If you have 30K, then don't attend a college that cost 150K, or whatever the costs are these days. Grade school and high school is a right. But college is not. As young ADULTS, a college student's first real life lesson should be how to budget their money and take some responsibility.

Forum List

Back