Red-Light Cameras Backed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 5stringJeff, Feb 3, 2005.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I'm not sure that this is the best solution to the problem, but red light runners are an increasing problem...

------------------
    Red-light cameras backed
    State bill would allow systems to catch drivers
    By JANE HADLEY
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Camano Island Democratic Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen attended a traffic-safety presentation at a national legislative conference last year that included a film of accidents where cars ran a red light and were hit broadside in the intersection.

"Believe me, you would not want to be in one of those accidents," Haugen recently told the Senate Transportation Committee, of which she is chairwoman.

The experience boosted Haugen's interest in legislation to enable local jurisdictions to install automated photo enforcement of red-light violations.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/transportation/210503_redlight03.html

2. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

You should see this in Colorado. After the light turns red about three to five cars go through the light without fail. You have to wait for them to pass before you can go even though the light has already turned green.

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    seems like this area LOVES throwing money at issues - they are trading VERY TINY/No reductions in accidents, over-all, based on statistics from other cities, for HUGE rises in rear-end collisions...

:-/

4. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Sounds like following to close or just not paying attention. Either way if I had to be involved in an intersection accident, I'd rather have someone rear end me than T-Bone me. :)

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    From Chicago, the worst area to drive outside of CA. Right turn on Red should be illegal!

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    So somebody rear-ends your car, and pushes you out into the intersection to be t-boned....sounds like fun

RedLight/Traffic cameras do one thing well - generate revenue.

7. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Sure that can happen..so tell us, how often does it happen now that the cameras are up? Not much is my guess. :) Redlight Cameras also reduce accidents. BTW we have em here in Atlanta, that may effect your move.

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

I argue they do NOT reduce accidents. :)

From Patrick Bedard - Car and Driver magazine:

9. CivilLiberty

CivilLiberty Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50

We've had these for years now in California, at the busiest intersections, and it's virtually eliminated idiots pulling into the intersection when the other side is full, and causing grid lock., and we also don't see morons running the light at these intersections.

One of the early concerns was people speeding to avoid getting the ticket, and the solution was to extend the length of the yellow light, which now gives more warning time. Anyone getting a ticket now is egregiously violating the red light law, which in California states that you cannot ENTER the intersection after the light turns red.

My attitude here is different than continuously running video camera. In the case of the red light cameras, it is not continuous surveillance, but a still image taken only after sensors detect a violation.

A separate issue that I find troublesome is that here in LA, the systems are run by Lockheed Martin under contract, and not by the city itself. (this is also true of LA parking enforcement). For reasons that should be self evident, having profit participation by corporations in matter of law enforcement is not a good idea.

Regards

Andy

10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

The way some of y'all talk, it's as if somebody running a red light - or being caught in a red light causes 20 wrecks a day.

Honestly, Red-light 'running' is NOT such a concern; at least in this area. It may happen a lot, but the consequences seem limited to simply having people pissed off, at most.