Recipes Central - Repository of Favorites

I'm not fond of most packaged salsas, but of the ones in your article, I would choose Herdez Salsa Casera. I like Herdez, but they tend to be a bit spicier than I like.
Just opened a jar of Herdez, it being all there was in my pantry. Flavor is OK, but a bit more watery than Pace (my usual) or La Victoria -2nd choice. My wife has food sensitivities which include ingredients instore bought, so only I use them. Mostly for on burritos, eggs and hash browns or chip dip.

We had a good cop of tomatilla this past Summer so put up about 20+ quarts of green taco sauce. Our tomatoes usually get used in making ketchup, paste, and pasta sauce. This is mostly hot water bath canning.

The King Cake Tradition, Explained​

Why is there a plastic baby baked inside this Mardi Gras staple?
Americans usher in the new year with diets and lifestyle resolutions galore, but many people across the globe — particularly those from predominantly Catholic countries — celebrate the calendar change with a sweet pastry known as king cake. It first appears in bakery cases at the beginning of each year and can be found at the center of celebrations through early spring. Some associate it with Mardi Gras, others with a celebration known as Epiphany.

King cake is eaten on January 6 in honor of Epiphany, or Twelfth Night, which historically marks the arrival of the three wise men/kings in Bethlehem who delivered gifts to the baby Jesus. (The plastic baby hidden inside king cakes today is a nod to this story.) King cake also appears on tables throughout the Carnival season, which runs from Epiphany to Fat Tuesday (the day before Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent), at which point practitioners typically abstain from such indulgences as cake.

The pastry goes by different names around the world, and comes in varying shapes and styles. Here now, an exploration of the history of this baked good, the traditions surrounding it, and a brief look at king cakes across the globe.

I had King's Cake once, I don't remember what it means if your slice has the baby in it, it means either that you will be getting married soon or if you are already married, you will be having a child in the future. King's Cake is so good, the actual New Orleans version of it.

Vietnamese is one of my favorite forms of Asian cuisine and this is a classic to go with pho'.

Follow These 5 Steps to the Best Banh Mi​

A foolproof formula for building this uniquely Vietnamese sandwich.​

direct

People often act as if there is a holy grail of banh mi authenticity. But like a lot of Vietnamese dishes, these sandwiches are very casual and flexible, hard to mess up or interpret too loosely. You can stuff practically anything in one, which is more or less how they were invented: Good bread, butter, pâté, and Maggi Seasoning (a European umami-laden condiment) came to Vietnam with French colonists; porky fillings like char siu crossed the border from China; and local cooks ran with these new ingredients, adding their own vegetables and herbs to create something uniquely Vietnamese.

You might already know the classic dac biet (or “special”) banh mi, a sandwich that originated in Saigon and is sold by many street vendors today. It features pâté, cold cuts like the mortadella-style gio lau sausage or a chewy-tender pork shank, mayonnaise, Maggi Seasoning, some pickled carrots and daikon, cucumber, chiles, and cilantro. It’s sensational, but it’s far from the only sandwich that can be called banh mi.

So, what can? I came up with a loose formula for my book, Vietnamese Food Any Day. With a combination of these five things, you’re on your way to a proper one.

...​

you mentioned Maggi ….

it is from German …. invented by an ItLian italien

Should You Rinse Canned Beans?​

The answer may surprise you.
When it comes time to use a can of beans, many wonder: Should you drain this can? And more importantly, should you rinse canned beans?

As it turns out, whether or not you should rinse canned beans isn’t exactly straightforward and depends on how you plan to use them.

"If the beans are being used for a salad, then yes, they need to be rinsed," says Fred Tiess, master instructor at the College of Food Innovation and Technology, Johnson & Wales University. "The packing liquid can sometimes muddy the final presentation, depending upon the packing liquid. If you are adding cooked canned beans to soup or chili, then you should not need to rinse them if you plan to allow the liquid to season the preparation."

While dried beans are more economical, canned beans are very handy for a quicker 'get it done' sort of recipe. Also if you want to use that juice they were packed in.

If using chickpeas/garbanzo beans, their packing juice can often become a substitute for eggs in some texture uses.

What Exactly Is Aquafaba, and How Do I Use It? | Vegan - America's Test .

Aquafaba: What Is It and What Are the Health Benefits? - WebMD

How to Make Aquafaba | Minimalist Baker Recipes

If you love to cook, or love to eat what your cook cooks, then these are worth a try. BTW, might want to get on AllRecipes email list.

The 14 Recipes We Can't Wait to Make This February​

How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning​

It’s as simple as whisking together some pantry ingredients.

This could be a guideline, adding or removing what you wish. My wife can't do corn so I'd replace the corn starch with rice flour/starch.

The Case for Cooking Steak from Frozen​

A perfectly-seared crust and a pink-all-the-way-through middle—that's the steak of your dreams. And with the help of the freezer, that dream becomes a reality.

Freeze Every Citrus Peel That Comes Through Your Kitchen​

Unless you plan to use the zest right away, stashing large slivers of citrus peel in your freezer is a great way to preserve their flavor until the day it's needed.

Still the time of year when soups and stews hit the spot. Here's a couple variations on a popular dish, almost as famous as chili.

Goulash​

American-Style With Ground Beef and Cheese

A paprika intense version;

Easy Hungarian Goulash​

Pone Bread Recipe:2 1/2 cups self rising flour 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar1/4 cup lard1/2 stick butterApprox 1 cup buttermilk Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix dry ingredients. Cut in lard and butter with fork or pastry cutter. Add buttermilk, mix until all dry ingredients are moist. Pour in cast iron pan or glass baking dish, cook for 20-30 min or until top is golden brown. Let cool and enjoy anytime of day!Purchase my cookbook here! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093R5TFPJ

As the title suggests, a place for stashing those recipes you come across and want to share~save without starting a dedicated and exclusive thread.

Lead off with a selection of recipes for beef stroganoff;

Beef Stroganoff Recipes

Beef stroganoff is the ultimate comfort food. With switched-up ingredients and creative twists, these popular variations elevate the classic dish from familiar to fabulous.
My favorite recipes I make for myself:

Tuna Tacos: Tuna & mayo, salsa, jalapenos, melted cheese, hot sauce, onions

Salmon Tacos: Salmon, jalapenos, cheese, black pepper, hot sauce, onions

Hotdog Tacos: Hotdogs in a taco shell. Topped with Salsa, jalapenos, onions, melted cheese.

Spaghetti Taco's: Spaghetti and Meatballs in Tacos. Topped with cheese, salsa, hot sauce, jalapenos, onions

Tamales & Vegetables. Tamales topped with vegetables, beans, jalapenos, hot sauce, onions, melted cheese, black pepper.

Flaming Hot Omelet: Egg, pepperjack cheese, salami omelet topped with black pepper, jalapenos, onions, hot sauce

Ingredients needed for Kapsalon - Dutch kebab recipe​

• 2 chicken breasts
  • 2-3 large potatoes or pre-packaged frozen fries
  • Half a Napa cabbage or iceberg lettuce
  • 1 English cucumber
  • 2 pickled cucumbers - optional
  • 1 large tomato or a few cherry tomatoes
  • 1 red onion
  • About 4 ounces of grated yellow cheese
  • Oil for frying
  • 1 flat tablespoon of kebab/shoarma spice
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Sauce:

New Nеurоpathу Device Leaves Dоctors Baffled (Works Fast)

New Nеurоpathу Device Leaves Dоctors Baffled (Works Fast)

Ad
Health Insight Journal

• 2 tablespoons of natural yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
  • 1 crushed garlic clove
  • 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
  • Chopped parsley or dill
  • A pinch of salt and sugar

How to prepare Kapsalon - Dutch kebab​

• Peel and wash the potatoes, cut into fries, coat with oil, and bake in a preheated oven at 392°F for about 30 minutes until golden (follow packaging instructions for frozen fries)
  • Cut chicken breast into cubes, mix with kebab spice and little oil then fry on a heated pan until the meat turns gold
  • Thinly slice the onion, chop cucumbers and tomatoes, and shred the cabbage
  • Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl
  • In aluminum, metal, or glass molds, layer the fries, chicken, and cheese, and bake for a few minutes until the cheese melts
  • Top it off with the vegetables and drizzle the homemade sauce over everything. Enjoy your meal!
Read also:

Say goodbye to fast food. The secret breading for your homemade nuggets recipe

Turn your fridge leftovers into a delicious treat: How to prepare the flexible 'peasant pot'

Chicken cutlets reimagined: How your Sunday dinners can captivate with roulades

I have been making chili for several decades. Like ever since the 1970s.

I have made all kinds. From the hamburger/can of tomato sauce/ teaspoon of chili powder kind my Midwestern wife's family loves so much to authentic Texas style chili. Hell, I even made Cincinnati chili.

This is the recipe I have been using for the last few years as my go to recipe. It calls for brisket but I usually will use Chuck. It has great flavor. I have tried making it using other kinds of chili powder than the two called out in the recipe and they don't work as well. Use Mexene or Gebhardts.

Forum List

Back