Reality on Jobs outlook

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RetiredGySgt, Nov 4, 2011.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
  2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    And getting repubs in control will not make things any better.

When the right and left wing esperts were predicting a rapid recovery from this recession I predicted that it would suck for at least a decade and the standard of living in the US would at best hold level for a few decades.

3. naturegirl

naturegirl Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +862
    Wonder how many of those that aren't on unemployment any more are because their benefits have run out or they've taken seasonal jobs. 99 weeks is a long time, we are fast approaching the limit on the first group that received the extension. Even so, 80,000 jobs is pitiful!!

And then there is this from the article:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. ladyliberal

ladyliberal Progressive Princess

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I'm not familiar with this writer, but he seems to be making the case for Obama's jobs bill or something like it. He claims the recovery is occurring despite government policy rather than because of it, and he cites the reduction in the public payroll as the chief policy hurting the recovery.

That hiring more government workers will reduce unemployment and aid a recovery is clear to nearly all economists (although there is great uncertainty in the degree to which this is true). However, it is a matter that remains somewhat debatable in the wider political sphere, which is made up almost entirely of economic illiterates.