Real thing: anyone actually MET a politician, of any fame or power level?

Funny this thread came up. I was getting on the "EL" yesterday morning when I walk in to the station and it's empty except for one guy standing there......Rahm Emanuel. He asked me how I was doing and if I had any plans for the holidays. Totally random and unexpected.

I would have told him , "pretty good, I still have my soul."

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Funny this thread came up. I was getting on the "EL" yesterday morning when I walk in to the station and it's empty except for one guy standing there......Rahm Emanuel. He asked me how I was doing and if I had any plans for the holidays. Totally random and unexpected.

Rahm taking public transit? Whooda thunkit?

A couple years ago I was walking up Mich. Ave. and had just crossed a street when I almost ran right into Hizzoner Daley. I said hi, shook his hand and that was about it. I walked on, but glanced back at him and that's when I noticed a half dozen goons in tow.
I was surprised they let me get that close to the guy LOL. I never even noticed them.

Rahm taking public transit? Whooda thunkit?

A couple years ago I was walking up Mich. Ave. and had just crossed a street when I almost ran right into Hizzoner Daley. I said hi, shook his hand and that was about it. I walked on, but glanced back at him and that's when I noticed a half dozen goons in tow.
I was surprised they let me get that close to the guy LOL. I never even noticed them.

Well I don't think he was taking the EL, I think he was trying to "meet the public" on a low key scale for his upcoming Mayoral run.

I happily have:

Sarah Palin. October 18, '08. She came to Lancaster, PA (right down the road from me) to shore up our ticket's support in Lanc. county and the region, which was/still is crimson red, but I digress.

After pwning some wacko lefty "protesters" outside the stadium, I listened to her speech, it was quite good, she made sense, was articulate, passionate, etc. She looks and sounds just the same in person, better if anything.

BEST PART:
When the speech was done, she began mingling with the burgeoning crowd. I fought my way up to her, snapped a pic of her on my old Razor phone, and THEN shook her hand. I then said "Sarah, you're amazing!" She replied "Thank you!"

It was too awesome.:cool: After the rally, hyped up as I was, I refrained from other rally goers in kicking parking signs and pylons (the Lanc. County Obama HQ was right across the street and their parking lot was right next to the stadium lol)

State Senator Mike O'Pake, June, '08. I was working as a Field Office Clerk for the PA Dept. of Revenue, and being my state sen. he popped in to check on us then state employees. The big LOL part was that he was being dogged by gay rumors for the longest, and he comes right up and starts talking to me.:lol:

I tried as hard as I could to keep a straight face as he asked bout my pops, etc.

Those are mine. Yall?

I-THINK-THATS-A-COOL-STORY-BRO-but-im-gonna-have-to-call-a-buddy-hes-an-expert-on-cool-stories.jpg

I had the pleasure of meeting Mario Cuomo (NYS Governor in the 80's) twice. Once at a real estate function where I was introduced to him as a "budding star" by Leona Helmsley (not proud of that!)

Next time was a year later at a Democratic Party fund raiser in Manhattan. I was not a member of either party at the time, but bought 2 plates through a foundation. I was proposing to my future wife that night, and decided to start the evening off with an experience for her. She sat next to Paul Newman and accross for Mayor Ed Koch.

Mario Cuomo came over to say hello to Koch and Newman and I intrduced my future bride to him as my fiance....the first she heard that I was asking her to marry me. I asked if he remembered me from a year ago, and he said yes, but it was quite obvious he had no idea who I was. However, he DID kiss my wife to be as she stood there with tears running down her face as I handed her the ring.

Yep, me, a conservative, proposed to my wife in front of Mario Cuomo, Ed Koch and Paul Newman at a democratic fund raiser.

Guy who got a few thousand of our men and women killed?

That guy.

Actually, the U.S. Military was sent to Iraq by the U.S. Congress.

Oh, Donald Rumsfeld... not a fan myself either. But blaming him for Iraq is a more than a bit disingenuous. Blame him for crappy strategies.. no problem. But he hardly invented crappy strategies.

That guy.

Oh, Donald Rumsfeld... not a fan myself either. But blaming him for Iraq is a more than a bit disingenuous. Blame him for crappy strategies.. no problem. But he hardly invented crappy strategies.

SECDEF and one of the primary architects of the war ... so yeah, I stand by my opinion that he got a few thousand of our men and women killed. May he burn in hell for eternity.

That guy.

He was a poor choice for Secretary of Defense....but by no means did he get a few thousand of our men and women killed.

Agreed... and yes, he was a shitty choice.

What makes me laugh is he was a successfull businessman....was in his office at 767 5th Avenue back in the early 90's....Not sure how that wouyldmake him a good choice for SoD...

And now we have Obama who skirts the businessmen for economic related posts.

Just seems our elected officials are clueless as to who to assign to what.

But then again, we are the jerks that elect them to begin with based on looks and words written by speechwriters.

That guy.

SECDEF and one of the primary architects of the war ... so yeah, I stand by my opinion that he got a few thousand of our men and women killed. May he burn in hell for eternity.

Well, have fun with that!

Well, have fun with that!

There's nothing fun about dead troops.

That guy.

So then I assume you would like Bush 43 to burn in hell? Colin Powell? Presidents and Prime Ministers of dozens of other countries? Congress that approved and declared the war? The Generals and CO's at the Pentagon? The field CO's? XO's?

So then I assume you would like Bush 43 to burn in hell? Colin Powell? Presidents and Prime Ministers of dozens of other countries? Congress that approved and declared the war? The Generals and CO's at the Pentagon? The field CO's? XO's?

Pretty much minus the field CO's.

Forum List

Back