Real Good News From Iraq

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    From an Australian blogger that does 'the good news round-up' regularly. This week he made the WSJ:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110005370

Excerpt:

2. TheOne

TheOne Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly though, I still think there's a long way to go there and I mean years, not months.

article

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Oh you mean in war there are casualties? :eek2: So glad you are so concerned.

Who didn't think years? You haven't heard that since September 2001? Where have you been?

This would have been easy article to quote from, please refer to the rules. The administrators want the 'whole article' condensed please.

4. TheOne

TheOne Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for posting the whole article. I think the point was that some people beleived that with the transfer of power, the casualty rate would go down. Many government officials were warning that in the weeks ahead of the transfer to expect an uptick in insurgent activity as people opposed to the new government would try and disrupt the transfer.

The article I posted is merely demonstrating that, regardless of any good news or polls among the Iraqi people, the insurgency doesn't appear to be losing much steam. This is troubling to me as I expected things to at least be looking a little better. I was not expecting an increase of US casualties from June to July.

Once again, it's not the fact that Americans are dying, it's that they are dying at a faster clip.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I hear what you're saying, but then you underestimated the desperation of those that do not want the government to succeed. They will do everything they can to make the civilians feel intimidated and to prevent the elections.

btw, thanks for taking the quote part so well. :cool:

6. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The original post is about there never being any good news reported from Iraq and shedding some light on some. The very NEXT post is more bad news. Kind of proves the point of the OP, doesn't it?! Hell, even the title of the thread says "REAL GOOD NEWS" :slap:
    Sorry, but it's everywhere and very tiring! Anything good, lets find 3 bad. :dev2:

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Gotta read the whole thing. In this case, good is relative!

8. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I mean the Posts, LOL! First post, good news, Second post, bad news. :(
    That's all! LOL!!

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    :tng: :laugh: :beer:

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The reporting of the daily body count is beginning to remind me of the way Viet Nam was coverered which is perhaps how certain members of the media would like for us to view Iraq. Failing to report positive news in Iraq while droning daily about body count tends to minimize the sacrifices our troops are making and trivializes the death of a soldier as just another everyday occurance. Someone has to take some initiative here to counteract the damage done by the LMM or it will continue ad infinitum. Blogs may help but the truth needs to be spoon-fed to many students of news.