Read the Stimulus ~ Senate "Compromise" 2/7

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Angel Heart, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Senate "Compromise" 2/7: Page 1

It's long and full of things we just can't afford. Writing checks on an empty account. Only a matter of time before NSF comes back on the checks.

2. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,090
    without fixing the housing market, it all will be a waste...

again, too much focus on the banks in this bill.... the very people who were neglegent...

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    It wasn't just the banks that were negligent. Some of you folks need to quit letting the consumer off the hook for allowing their eyeballs to be bigger than their wallet. We as a Nation, not just the banks, have fostered this living beyond our means on credit mentality.

How you control your finances is NOT the responsibility of the US government, the banks, nor anyone else's but your own.

This stimulis is nothing but perpetuating more of the same at the national level and it is only going to put us further in debt; which, will take longer to pay. The US taxpayer should not be held responsible for bailing out financial institutions nor individual citizens because they aren't smart enough to manage their money. WE are the ones who are going to foot this bill by having to pay even more taxes in the future.

Our government is trying to cure the symptoms and not the disease. I hear Democrats whining about capital gains taxes; which is little more than theft, but I don't see them doing a whole Hell of a lot to pass any legislation that would make it worth the while of these corporations to stay here and provide jobs here.

Sone of you folk need to look at what the Hell you're voting for and/or supporting.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Lots of money for the banks, but at what cost to those who''ve done nothing wrong?

Geithner's Cash For Trash - Forbes.com

5. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,090
    While the value of my house, of which we paid cash for, continues to fall like humpty dumpty.....

if the housing market free fall is not stopped,

NONE OF US EVER will see this country pull out of this recession/depression.....at least none of us middle aged will live that long.

All of this, the trillion and a half and counting to the banks and this near trillion stimulus, does NOT address the housing crisis in any manner what so ever....which includes bringing the toxic assets in to the light of day....or regulation to prevent this from happening again.

I disagree with you on this being all the "people's" fault....you are blaming the victim, when whole sale FRAUD took place in a ponzi scheme that busted us all...while the fed regulation people turned a blind eye.

i do agree with you that we all spend too much and do not save enough....this has been the push of our gvt who supported the bankers and credit lenders instead of us....the past 3 decades.

so with the way things are going, i will help bail out the crooked banks, and pay for the stimulus that does not address the 1 in 6 homes foreclosing now, AND I WILL LOSE HALF THE VALUE of my house....

Wonderful isn't it?

care

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    you could be grateful you still have one. :eusa_whistle:

7. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Care

You are right that this stimulus does nothing to address housing prices dropping etc..

BUT... I fully believe that the government has no business doing anything about that anyway... your purchase, your house, your choice, your personal situation, your personal responsibility

This has a LOT of blame on the consumer... you sign the bottom line.. if there was fraudulent practices by a bank, mortgage broker, etc, you HAVE LEGAL RECOURSE TO SUE

8. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :clap2:

Personal accountability is a lost art in this nation! It's no wonder we do not demand it of Washington!

9. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Interesting/long read. As I said in another thread there are a lot of provisions in this bill that may seem worthy, but if this is as urgent as Obama says it is, one has to question the immediate need of may of the provisions in here. You have billions in here for climate reasearch. A few hundred million for ANOTHER digital converter box coupon program. Billions in research grants. Etc. And much, much more that I didn't get all the way through on.

10. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122

I agree very much with the fact that people have been living beyond their means for a long time and need to realize personal responsibility. But as much as I'd love to see Joe Househog have his house that he 'really couldn't afford because he was too stupid and greedy to be responsible' taken from him cause he can't pay for it now and have him learn the lesson and start over . . . . the bigger picture in all of this is the lack of responsibilty from the government - for putting into play the 'a chicken in every pot; a house on every lot' anthem without adding the all important 'lend only to those who can afford it' -; and the lenders following in step, one, two, one, two. Yes, Joe Househog needs to be responsible; but (and as much as I'm not for the government interferring), the government needs to help the banks in order for the banks to start to rectify this and help these people out so that the country can start to get back on it's feet. The government started this mess, they should be held responsible as well. And yet . . . . it will all fall back onto Joe Taxpayer one way or another, right? This whole thing is making my head hurt.