Read any good non-fiction books lately?

barry1960

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2009
This may be asking a lot from this crowd, but has anyone read any good non-fiction books lately?

The last book I read was "As We Speak" by Peter Meyers and Shannon Nix. The book deals with effective communication, including public presentations. A very good book. I recommend it to anyone whose job includes public presentations of any kind.

Currently I am reading Richard Evans' "The Coming of the Third Reich" which is the first part of his trilogy on this subject. Evan's is a good historian although the book is a little dry. Shirer's "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" is a better read in my opinion, even though not as thoroughly researched.

On deck is "The Power of Habit" By Charles Duhigg which was recommended by Fareed Zakeria and intrigued me. It takes a look at how habits are formed and how businesses use this knowledge.

My physician is pushing me to read "The Creature from Jekyll Island" which covers the History of the Federal Reserve (when I go to the doctor's office I get book recommendations in addition to treatment).

Also, a second question is where do you get your books?

I can't remember when I last read a book, period.

I think people read less today with our instant society. It seems more time economical to catch news on TV and the internet. However, a good book will cover a topic in more depth than television or the newspaper.

One thing I do is go to the local library and check out audio books. We all seem to spend a lot of time in our cars.

Just finished Robert Draper's Do Not Ask What Good We Do. LOVED it. Nobody was off limits. Not like he was grinding people into the dust, but this was not a partisan book. Nancy Pelosi took the hardest hits, and the one he seemed to see the most potential in (from my perspective) was Allen West.

Command in War, Martin Van Creveld

In looked this book up. It looks like an interesting read for anyone interested in military history.

Very interesting and from a little used perspective. He makes a very good case and comes up with some rather astute observations and conclusions.

It's on the reading list. I can pick it up pretty cheap on Amazon books. This book my have some business management application as well as being a good read on military strategy.

Someone recently gave me a copy of:

Don't Give a Damn: How to Cope with the Fears, Frustrations, and Challenges of Daily Life

Not usually my genre, but this was pretty interesting.

Forum List

Back