Rates of Hothouse Gas Accumulation Continue to Spike as the Amazon Rainforest Bleeds Carbon

As was just pointed out, sea level has been quite stable for the last 6,000 years.

Sure. At a 3 mm/yr rise. I can't help it if you idiots believe it is accelerating because of atmospheric CO2.

Show us data supporting that statement Ding. You're claiming the world's oceans have risen 18 meters (just shy of 60 feet) over that period.

Show me where I said that.

It has been rising at 3 mm/yr for the last 6000 years.

I thought you could do the math. 3mm/year for 6,000 years is 18 meters. Show us data supporting an 18 meter sea level rise in the last 6,000 years or admit your mistake and withdraw your claim.

Rates of Hothouse Gas Accumulation Continue to Spike as the Amazon Rainforest Bleeds Carbon
Back in June, atmospheric carbon monitors indicated that the Amazon Rainforest was leeching out more carbon dioxide than it was taking in. This is kind of a big deal — because the vast expanse of trees and vegetation in the Amazon represents a gift nature has given to us. For all that lush vegetation draws in a considerable amount of carbon dioxide and stores it in leaves, wood, bark and soil. And this draw-down, in its turn, considerably reduces the overall rate of atmospheric carbon accumulation coming from human fossil fuel burning.

Over the years and decades, this great service has saved the world from an even more rapid warming than it is presently experiencing. But not even the great forests could stand for long against the unprecedented plume of carbon coming from human fossil fuel industry. For the great belching of heat-trapping gas by all the world’s engines, furnaces, and fires is equal to about 4 or 5 of the Siberian flood basalts that triggered the worst hothouse extinction event in Earth’s deep history

snip---

The Amazon as Surface Carbon Emissions Hot Spot
Large equatorial forests like the Amazon are now producing hothouse gasses rather than taking them in. In the Copernicus Observatory’s surface CO2 measure, we find areas over the Amazon Rainforest where concentrations range between 500 and 800 parts per million — or up to nearly double the present average global atmospheric concentration.

(Very high surface CO2 concentrations over the Amazon Rainforest and West Africa are an indication that key global carbon sinks aren’t functioning. Instead, at least for the period of June through November of 2016, they appear to be emitting very high volumes of stored carbon back into the atmosphere. Image source: The Copernicus Observatory.)

Desertifying and drying forested regions of West Africa also show rather high localized surface CO2 spikes. And both areas are among those displaying highest total column atmospheric CO2 concentrations. According to NASA thermal monitoring, wildfires are also quite extensive in these zones. Meanwhile, the global drought monitor indicates that both the Amazon and West Africa have experienced exceptional drought, not only for the most recent year, but over the past 4 years through October of 2016. And it’s the combined drying and burning that is likely pumping all that carbon out of soils and forests.

Carbon Sink Transitioning to Source

During both 2005 and 2010, scientific studies found that the Amazon briefly lost its ability to act as a carbon sink. Now, it appears that another period of a loss of functioning of the ‘world’s lungs’ has occurred. But in this case, the Amazon, and parts of West Africa, appear to be consistently emitting carbon dioxide rather than taking it in.

It has long been a concern among climate scientists that human carbon emissions at the rate of nearly 50 billion tons of CO2 equivalent gasses each year would eventually harm the world’s forests, oceans, lands, glaciers and permafrost zones’ ability to take in that unprecedented carbon spike. And here we have at least some indication that this has happened, at least during 2016 and hopefully not extending over a longer period.

This is extremely bad news because if this becomes normal then huge carbon sinks are failing. In all likely hood this will swing back and forth but we will have to see.

So its not manmade

who woulda thunk it

--LOL

Another LIE by the left to get people to act against their own self interests...

When the facts are placed in content of previous earth changes this is natural variation and insignificant..

Show us data supporting that statement Ding. You're claiming the world's oceans have risen 18 meters (just shy of 60 feet) over that period.

Show me where I said that.

It has been rising at 3 mm/yr for the last 6000 years.

I thought you could do the math. 3mm/year for 6,000 years is 18 meters. Show us data supporting an 18 meter sea level rise in the last 6,000 years or admit your mistake and withdraw your claim.
That's even better news. Now I can revise lower my estimate for sea level rise for the year 2100. Awesome!

You need to provide evidence for that claim or withdraw it. Particularly since it flies in the face of the opinion of all the experts.

You need to provide evidence for that claim or withdraw it. Particularly since it flies in the face of the opinion of all the experts.
Dude, I just accepted it. I am even happier now because I have been using too high of an estimate. There are all kinds of problems with sea level measurement. Not to worry though, we will all find out soon enough, right?

So, you make a claim and then refuse to provide any supporting evidence. There's a name for that: willful lying.

Sea level has been relatively stable for the last 6,000 years and did NOT rise 18 meters during that period as our recalcitrant poster Ding has suggested.

So, you make a claim and then refuse to provide any supporting evidence. There's a name for that: willful lying.

Sea level has been relatively stable for the last 6,000 years and did NOT rise 18 meters during that period as our recalcitrant poster Ding has suggested.
What part of I accept your analysis do you not understand?

Excuse me. I was not clear on what you were accepting. I withdraw the accusation of willful lying.

Excuse me. I was not clear on what you were accepting. I withdraw the accusation of willful lying.
Bless your heart. When can I expect you to retract your lie about bipolar glaciation occurring 30 million years ago?

When I care to do so and not before. I do these things, admitting mistakes and withdrawing accusations DESPITE your efforts, not because of them. Acting like a dick is not generally a winning strategy in most situations.

Forum List

Back