Rape exclusion "pro-lifers" - how can you defend your position?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OohPooPahDoo, Jan 24, 2013.

1. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Rape exclusion "pro-lifers" - how can you defend your position? Your position is that a fetus is a full person with all the rights due a full person including the right to life - unless it is the product of a man raping its mother? How the hell does that work?

How is it that the right to life begins at conception for persons whose fathers were not rapists - but begins in late stage pregnancy for those whose fathers were rapists? Isn't that punishing someone for the sins of their father? What about if the mother was the rapist and the father the victim? Then the right to life starts at conception? A bit sexist don't you think?

I'm just confused as to how the position of rape exclusion "pro-lifers" is at all self-consistent. Assigning the right to life based on the actions of one's father really kinda seems anti-American as well.

2. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,904
    Inconsistency in one position does not establish credibility for another position. According to your rationale, the Emancipation Proclamation was illegitimate because it did not free slaves in Union States.

3. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Dude what the fuck are you even talking about? Emancipation proclamation? How the fuck does that answer any of my questions? Are you some kind of mentally handicapped person?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    I've wrestled with the dilemma myself. I think many people have a hard time forcing a woman to carry a baby conceived in rape to term. The woman has already been victimized once, it seems cruel to force her to re-live that horror every day for the next nine months.

I know there are women who choose to carry the child to term, and I really admire them and their courage. But I have a hard time DEMANDING that sort of self-sacrifice of any woman.

5. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    What he is saying is that failing to protect SOME children from abortion and not others is roughly the same as freeing SOME slaves and not ALL of them. Of course I can't overlook the race-baiting aspect of his post ... so take it for what it is worth.

6. TNHarley

TNHarley Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,556
    Holy shit!
    We have finally agreed on something! :clap2:

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,933
    My personal opinion is that no one should have an abortion except for the medical safety of the mother. As to rape, some people believe that even though life starts at conception the act of rape allows for the termination at the mothers request, Much like some people support the death penalty for heinous crimes.

The question to ask is why the uproar from gun grabbers about 20 6 year olds when most of the same people support abortion on demand, the legal murder of unborn children?

Perhaps you can explain how a fetus is not a human life when it will grow into just that in months? It has no other option. It does not magically become a cumquat or a puppy.

8. TNHarley

TNHarley Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,556
    Hypocrisy. I have noticed there is so much in politics. Especially here. But what are you gonna do?

9. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    A fetus is a human life. Anyone who denies that isn't basing their opinions in reality. However a fetus is not sentient and so it's life does not hold the same value as a fully formed child.

10. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Since when life begins is not the real issue I would ask you the same thing.