Rand Paul decides that controlling a woman's body trumps saving people from floods.

Federal flood insurance is a money pit and should be ended altogether.

By Jon Stossel, as published in Reason:

Confessions of a Welfare Queen

How rich bastards like me rip off taxpayers for millions of dollars

<snip>

In 1980 I built a wonderful beach house. Four bedrooms -- every room with a view of the Atlantic Ocean.

It was an absurd place to build, right on the edge of the ocean. All that stood between my house and ruin was a hundred feet of sand. My father told me: "Don&#8217;t do it; it&#8217;s too risky. No one should build so close to an ocean."

But I built anyway.

Why? As my eager-for-the-business architect said, "Why not? If the ocean destroys your house, the government will pay for a new one."

What? Why would the government do that? Why would it encourage people to build in such risky places? That would be insane.

But the architect was right. If the ocean took my house, Uncle Sam would pay to replace it under the National Flood Insurance Program. Since private insurers weren&#8217;t dumb enough to sell cheap insurance to people who built on the edges of oceans or rivers, Congress decided the government should step in and do it. So if the ocean ate what I built, I could rebuild and rebuild again and again -- there was no limit to the number of claims on the same property in the same location -- up to a maximum of $250,000 per house per flood. And you taxpayers would pay for it.

Thanks.

Confessions of a Welfare Queen - Reason.com

I believe in Flood insurance if you purchase it for yourself.. I have it even though we do not live in a flood zone. we have Hurricanes here. My neighbors have lived in this neighborhood and it has never flooded but I still buy mine for peace of mind , the just in case .. TS Debby has already dropped 12 inches where I live and they are predicting 12 more before its over with. We have pond in our back yard and the water is past the deck. Although if our house floods I will be covered to get everything replaced/

<snip>

In 1980 I built a wonderful beach house. Four bedrooms -- every room with a view of the Atlantic Ocean.

It was an absurd place to build, right on the edge of the ocean. All that stood between my house and ruin was a hundred feet of sand. My father told me: "Don’t do it; it’s too risky. No one should build so close to an ocean."

But I built anyway.

Why? As my eager-for-the-business architect said, "Why not? If the ocean destroys your house, the government will pay for a new one."

What? Why would the government do that? Why would it encourage people to build in such risky places? That would be insane.

But the architect was right. If the ocean took my house, Uncle Sam would pay to replace it under the National Flood Insurance Program. Since private insurers weren’t dumb enough to sell cheap insurance to people who built on the edges of oceans or rivers, Congress decided the government should step in and do it. So if the ocean ate what I built, I could rebuild and rebuild again and again -- there was no limit to the number of claims on the same property in the same location -- up to a maximum of $250,000 per house per flood. And you taxpayers would pay for it.

Thanks.

Federal flood insurance may have it's faults. I will concede that.

But none of them have to do with zygotes.

<snip>

It was an absurd place to build, right on the edge of the ocean. All that stood between my house and ruin was a hundred feet of sand. My father told me: "Don’t do it; it’s too risky. No one should build so close to an ocean."

But I built anyway.

But the architect was right. If the ocean took my house, Uncle Sam would pay to replace it under the National Flood Insurance Program. Since private insurers weren’t dumb enough to sell cheap insurance to people who built on the edges of oceans or rivers, Congress decided the government should step in and do it. So if the ocean ate what I built, I could rebuild and rebuild again and again -- there was no limit to the number of claims on the same property in the same location -- up to a maximum of $250,000 per house per flood. And you taxpayers would pay for it.

Thanks.

Federal flood insurance may have it's faults. I will concede that.

But none of them have to do with zygotes.
You're confusing form with substance....The end with the means.

I couldn't care less how the fiscal black hole known as flood insurance gets ended, just that it does.

It’s the start of hurricane season on the east coast, which makes it a perfect time for Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) to play abortion politics with federal flood relief dollars.

The faux-bertarian Senator moved this week to hold a bi-partisan flood insurance bill hostage until the Senate considers Paul’s unrelated “fetal personhood” measure which would give legal protections to fetuses from the moment of fertilization. Paul tacked the fetal personhood bill as an amendment to a bill that would bolder the National Flood Insurance Program. The bill had been expected to pass easily until Paul gummed up the works.

Read more: Rand Paul Demands Vote On Fetal Personhood Before Flood Relief | Care2 Causes

Forum List

Back