RADICAL RIGHT The Very Real Threat Of Extremism

Yesterday's tragic shooting at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, DC, by an "88-year-old white supremacist," is the latest in a string of right-wing extremist attacks. The number of hate groups such as the "Ku Klux Klan, neo-Nazis, racist skinheads and Black separatists" operating in the United States is at an all-time high, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC). Moreover, gun purchases since President Obama's election surged. However, when the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) declassified a report "detailing potential increases in right-wing extremism" in April, right-wing commentators and Republican politicians decried the report as a politically motivated attack on all conservatives. They claimed that "the Obama administration is targeting conservatives and others simply because they disagree with administration policies and proposals." Ignoring that the report -- like a similar one describing the threat of left-wing extremists -- was commissioned by the Bush administration, conservatives called for the resignation of DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano. Media Matters Action Fund's Matt Finkelstein asks, "Will Republicans admit that their partisan 'outrage' was misplaced?"

A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE: The declassified DHS report warned, "Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups), and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely." The report further warned, "The economic downturn and the election of the first African American president present unique drivers for rightwing radicalization and recruitment." This description reflected recent extremist violence, including the July 2008 shooting spree in a Knoxville church "because of its liberal teachings," a thwarted attempt to assassinate Obama in October by two neo-Nazi skinheads, and "a racially motivated rape and murder spree in Brockton, MA" by a 22-year-old white supremacist the "day after Barack Obama was inaugurated." Since the report was issued last April, the trail of death has continued. "We have seen not only the murder of an abortion physician by a member of the radical right, but the murders of five law enforcement officers -- three police officers in Pittsburgh, two sheriff's deputies in Florida by radical right-wing extremists," SPLC's Mark Potok told CNN. "It's really been quite an extraordinary period." The Pittsburgh shooter "feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns," and the Florida killer was "severely disturbed that Barack Obama had been elected President." In an incident earlier this month, a "lone wolf" American Muslim extremist "shot and killed Army Pvt. William Long" outside a Little Rock, AR, mall in anger over the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

CONSERVATIVES VS. EXTREMISTS: Conservative politicians led the attack on the DHS report. Both House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) and Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) called it "offensive." Others went further: Gun advocate Sen. John Ensign (R-NV) claimed "the report has no intelligence value and only serves to blur our constitutional protections, such as the Second Amendment," and Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-MN) argued that "it looks like the extremists are those running the DHS." "What is the Department of Homeland Security calling us now?" Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) asked at an April 15 tea party protest. "Extremists? Well, give me a button." "Now if you disagree with that liberal path that President Obama's taken the country down," Fox News' Sean Hannity claimed, "you may soon catch the attention of the Department of Homeland Security." Texas Rep. John Carter (R-TX), after demanding Napolitano's firing on the House floor, told Politico, "Singling out political opponents for working against the ruling party is precisely the tactic of every tyrannical government from Red China to Venezuela." As Mother Jones's James Ridgeway observed, "Conservatives haven't been branded dangerous extremists by DHS or the Obama administration; they've branded themselves."
http://zed.techprogress.org:8080/mysite/pr/2009/06/pr20090611/index.html

Major problem is the guy wasnt a right winging.

Next time you try to use murder for your political purposes, do some research. Then you wont look stupid.

Exactly. Just a little bit of intellectual curiosity would reveal this simple fact to people - but then it wouldn't fit with their pre-packaged conclusions...

I don't either....Yet those perceived to be on the "right" by so many engage in exactly the same tactics to squelch dissent.

Like George Wallace said, not a dime's worth of difference......

You're right Dude, I guess we should divide the world into those whose only real principles consist of "GIVE IT TO ME IT'S MINE! AND IF YOU DON'T THINK SO YOU'RE EVIL" and the rest of us.... :)

Better, go to everyone and ask "are you a liberal or conservative?"

If they answer with "liberal" or "conservative" toss them all on a rocket and send them to Mars.

Same is true of the rightwings ... not difference here.

Uh NO... The same is NOT TRUE of the right... and as such there is a VAST DISTINCTION.

Really? Your posts don't look any different from left wingnuts, just different names is all.

Well there can be NO DOUBT, that it seems that way to you Kitty... the distinction here is that you're wholly unable to support it...

Meaning that you 'feel' that such is true... you probably feel STRONGLY that it's true... but if your life depended upon it... you couldn't advance a well reasoned, intellectually sound, logically valid argument which would demonstrate that such is actually true.

Which of course means that you're full of shit... but them most idiots usually are... which serves numerous facets of reason, now doesn't it? (Now just take your time and let that soak it... it'll come to ya, eventually.)

Same is true of the rightwings ... not difference here.

Not in my experience, I can't think of any real conservatives that advocate the suppression of ideas, even ones they don't happen to agree with, although there are many self styled, faux conservatives that adopt the tactics of the left, most of them are about as conservative as the left is liberal, meaning not at all.

guess what, i never met a TRUE scotsman either.

Oh LOOK! A vague reference to a form of fallacious reasoning... always a gas... Of course that one was spot on... What SFL should have done is to have defined conservativism, demonstrated the principles and shown how such does not square with Conservative principles...

But the point was made and such stands as indisputable... so it's a push. Good call..

Uh NO... The same is NOT TRUE of the right... and as such there is a VAST DISTINCTION.

Really? Your posts don't look any different from left wingnuts, just different names is all.

Well there can be NO DOUBT, that it seems that way to you Kitty... the distinction here is that you're wholly unable to support it...

Meaning that you 'feel' that such is true... you probably feel STRONGLY that it's true... but if your life depended upon it... you couldn't advance a well reasoned, intellectually sound, logically valid argument which would demonstrate that such is actually true.

Which of course means that you're full of shit... but them most idiots usually are... which serves numerous facets of reason, now doesn't it? (Now just take your time and let that soak it... it'll come to ya, eventually.)

Same thing a leftwingnut said about be ... a few words are different ... *yawn*

Thanx for proving my point.

The only point which you've proven thus far Dude is that your particularly strong in making baseless assertions, but when faced with substantiating them through sound and valid reasoning, ya tend to come up short...

Care to try again? There is a TON of room for improvement here... Leave your feelings at home... and bring your intellect... we're not enemies here... it's just a debate of principle.

The only point which you've proven thus far Dude is that your particularly strong in making baseless assertions, but when faced with substantiating them through sound and valid reasoning, ya tend to come up short...

Care to try again? There is a TON of room for improvement here... Leave your feelings at home... and bring your intellect... we're not enemies here... it's just a debate of principle.

Had you pegged as "radical right" until reading these posts ... now I can't figure out if you are "left" or "right" ...

"Sound and valid reasoning" like calling someone who dares to disagree with you "full of shit" and "idiots"??

I can get that bullshit of of a whole slew of the lefties around here, what else is new??

Had you pegged as "radical right" until reading these posts ... now I can't figure out if you are "left" or "right" ...

Hmmm, imagine that. ;)

OH... Well I had no idea... So you FEEL that a leftist said the same thing, only using different words... (Shhhhhh.... don't say anything kids... she hasn't got a CLUE!) that I said...

'Now Kitty, I hear you saying that you feel that different words said the same thing...' But some of us feel that you may not be 'feeling right...' about what those words meant, or mean or well, let's not go there... I guess what I'm saying is that I want you to search your heart and really find Kitty... Where is Kitty right now? Is she safe? Does she feel good about herself?

Because feeling good about Kitty needs to come first, before you the Kitty can possibly rise to the level of COMPLETE FUCKING DUMBASS! Which is where you'll need to start to find that self esteem which is so critical to becoming something BESIDES A DUMBASS!'

Last edited:
The author of this post doesn't understand the difference between right--meaning conservative & White supremists--which is exactly who this guy was. HE HATED JEWS.

But here is another example of a man that HATES JEWS: You know him--Pastor Wright--Obama's 20 year long pastor & his statements about Jews in the last couple of days. "The JEWS are CONTROLLING Obama!!!"

Rev. Wright: I Meant "Zionists," Not Jews | Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Last edited:

"Sound and valid reasoning" like calling someone who dares to disagree with you "full of shit" and "idiots"??

I can get that bullshit of of a whole slew of the lefties around here, what else is new??

Well Dude what you're getting right now is humiliation... you made an assertion... I challenged you to support it... and in so doing asked you some very direct and unambiguous questions...

Now either you can support your position or you cannot... to be honest I think you have a shot at doing so...

In the end, we may not agree... but at THIS POINT... you're failing miserably...

And really... these flaccid appeals to sympathy... not attractive... Not attractive at ALL!

Now would the big Lebowski sulk away in the challenge of a rhetorical 7-10 split... complaining 'that it's too hard man... the lane just makes me FEEL BAD ABOUT MYSELF!'?

Butch up brother... you made the claim... either back it up or concede that you're assertion is baseless...

OH... Well I had no idea... So you FEEL that a leftist said the same thing, only using different words... (Shhhhhh.... don't say anything kids... she hasn't got a CLUE!) that I said...

'Now Kitty, I hear you saying that you feel that different words said the same thing...' But some of us feel that you may not be 'feeling right...' about what those were meant, or mean or well, let's not go there... I guess what I'm saying is I want you to search your heart and really find Kitty... Where is Kitty right now? Is she safe? does she feel good about herself?

Because feeling good about Kitty need sot come first, before you the Kitty can possibly rise to the level of COMPLETE FUCKING DUMBASS! Which is where you'll need to start to find that self esteem that is so critical to becoming something BESIDES A DUMBASS!'

Never mentioned my feelings ... not even sure I have those. But you keep ranting just like a left wingnut ... a small hint: left wingnuts call me a conservative wingnut ...

'Now Kitty, I hear you saying that you feel that different words said the same thing...' But some of us feel that you may not be 'feeling right...' about what those were meant, or mean or well, let's not go there... I guess what I'm saying is I want you to search your heart and really find Kitty... Where is Kitty right now? Is she safe? does she feel good about herself?

Because feeling good about Kitty need sot come first, before you the Kitty can possibly rise to the level of COMPLETE FUCKING DUMBASS! Which is where you'll need to start to find that self esteem that is so critical to becoming something BESIDES A DUMBASS!'

Never mentioned my feelings ... not even sure I have those. But you keep ranting just like a left wingnut ... a small hint: left wingnuts call me a conservative wingnut ...

You have said NOTHING about anything BUT your 'feelings...'

What I hear you saying Kitty is that you feel that leftwing-nuts are ranters... and in keeping with those feelings, you feel that 'rightwing-nuts' are ranters too... and YOU... you feel VERY STRONGLY that you're NOT a ranter, thus you feel that you're not a nut of either variety...

That's very interesting...

Kitty, how do you feel about not being a nut in this sea of nuttiness? Do you feel like you belong? Or do you feel left out and wish that you could be nuttier and enjoy all the Nutfilled games? Kitty, does your nose shine bright?

I ask because, well, ya 'seem' like you're HAMMERED and it's a certainty that I've slayed you tonight... rhetorically speaking of course...

And in keeping with the fairly skewed theme... you won't be leading anything tonight... as you cannot even tell, your left from your RIGHT!

DUMBASS!

Last edited:

You have siad NOTHING about anything BUT your 'feelings...'

What I hear you saying Kitty is that leftwing-nuts are ranters... and that you feel that 'rightwing-nuts' are ranters... and YOU... you're NOT a ranter, so you feel that you're not a nut of either variety... That's very interesting...

Kitty, how do you feel about not being a nut in this sea of nuttiness? Do you feel like you belong? Or do you feel left out and wish that you could be nuttier and enjoy all the Nutfilled games? Kitty, does your nose shine bright?

I ask because, well ya 'seem' like you're HAMMERED and because it's a certainty that I've slayed you tonight... rhetorically speaking of course...

And of course, in keeping witht he fairly skewed theme... you won't be leading anything tonight... as you can't even tell your left from your RIGHT!

DUMBASS!

"Feel"? The proof is in your own posts, hell, the last two are prefect examples of ranting, reading them I imagine you frothing at the mouth and screaming at your monitor. The bland insults you attempt are the proof anyone needs to see that you are just ranting, which oddly, is most of what you post.

PS: Left wingnuts claim winner in every post as well.

What I hear you saying Kitty is that you feel that leftwing-nuts are ranters... and in keeping with those feelings, you feel that 'rightwing-nuts' are ranters too... and YOU... you feel VERY STRONGLY that you're NOT a ranter, thus you feel that you're not a nut of either variety...

I ask because, well, ya 'seem' like you're HAMMERED and it's a certainty that I've slayed you tonight... rhetorically speaking of course...

And in keeping with the fairly skewed theme... you won't be leading anything tonight... as you cannot even tell, your left from your RIGHT!

DUMBASS!

"Feel"? The proof is in your own posts, hell, the last two are prefect examples of ranting, reading them I imagine you frothing at the mouth and screaming at your monitor. The bland insults you attempt are the proof anyone needs to see that you are just ranting, which oddly, is most of what you post.

Yes Kitty... and I hear you saying that you feel that my last two posts are ranting... and that you feel that your posts are NOT ranting... and you imagine me frothing at the mouth and such... which is very interesting... particularly when such represents a rather bland insult, even as you lament bland insults and correlate such to that typical of RANTING...

VEeeeeeeeeeerrry Intervesting.... But :eek:KOO KOO:eek: :cuckoo:

DUMBASS!

Yes Kitty... and I hear you saying that you feel that my last two posts are ranting... and that you feel that your posts are NOT ranting... and you imagine me frothing at the mouth and such... which is very interesting... particularly when such represents a rather bland insult, even as you lament bland insults and correlate such to that typical of RANTING...

VEeeeeeeeeeerrry Intervesting.... But :eek:KOO KOO:eek: :cuckoo:

You're still ranting like a moonbat? Sheesh ... when will it stop?

Kitty's posts are always vapid generalizations with no meat to them.

Without exception.

Forum List

Back