Radical Islamic Cleric Named As Sri Lanka Bombings Mastermind

They must have freedom of speech over there, too. Hate speech is free speech, remember that. We can't stop it without violating God's law or the Constitution or some such shit.

“Some of the intelligence people saw his picture but they didn’t take action,” N.M. Ameen, president of the Muslim Council of Sri Lanka, told the Daily Mail.
Hilmy Ahamed, the Muslim council’s vice president, branded Hashim’s online speeches “basically a hate campaign against all non-Muslims.”
“Basically, he was saying non-Muslims have to be eliminated,” Ahamed told the Daily Mail.
Ahamed told the Telegraph, “We were very concerned that this guy was preaching hate on social media and uploading a lot of videos.”

They must have freedom of speech over there, too. Hate speech is free speech, remember that. We can't stop it without violating God's law or the Constitution or some such shit.

“Some of the intelligence people saw his picture but they didn’t take action,” N.M. Ameen, president of the Muslim Council of Sri Lanka, told the Daily Mail.
Hilmy Ahamed, the Muslim council’s vice president, branded Hashim’s online speeches “basically a hate campaign against all non-Muslims.”
“Basically, he was saying non-Muslims have to be eliminated,” Ahamed told the Daily Mail.
Ahamed told the Telegraph, “We were very concerned that this guy was preaching hate on social media and uploading a lot of videos.”
In Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444 (1969), SCOTUS held that government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless that speech is "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action."

In Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444 (1969), SCOTUS held that government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless that speech is "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action."
I guess the authorities in Sri Lanka thought that imam was a bag of hot air, too.

While you are correct, it doesnt apply to incitement of violence.

What is incitement and what is hot air requires a little crystal ball reading, doesn't it? A person's words can be interpreted differently by different people. A lot of posters on this very forum talk about killing all liberals. No one rushes to put them in jail. Since that thing about eliminating all non-Muslims is in the Koran somewhere, probably that's how he got away with it.
I know what you mean, but it is not as cut and dried and easy as you make it sound.

...A lot of posters on this very forum talk about killing all liberals...
I don't recall seeing that, but when I do see someone post something disgusting, I put them on ignore. If you think they represent a real threat, you should alert the Moderators and/or the Authorities.

...A lot of posters on this very forum talk about killing all liberals...
I don't recall seeing that, but when I do see someone post something disgusting, I put them on ignore. If you think they represent a real threat, you should alert the Moderators and/or the Authorities.
That's way above my pay grade, Zorro. I know some of the posters do that, and I commend them for it.

Forum List

Back