Racial Separatism in Major U. S. Cities

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by Flagwavrusa, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Flagwavrusa

Flagwavrusa "Stop complainin!"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98
    A race map of America constructed by cartographer Eric Fischer reveals clearly delineated boundaries between white, black, and hispanic neighborhoods in many major American cities.

Is this explainable by white people shutting blacks and hispanics out, or are people self-segragating because they prefer to live in neighborhoods with those who are more like themselves?

And if it's the latter, what does this say about America, the concept of a melting pot, and our future as a nation?

2. 52ndStreet

52ndStreet VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I think the idea of America being a melting pot was always false. People tend to be very
    ethnically proud of their ethnicity. Blacks are happy to be black, whites glad to be white,
    Chinese happy to be Chinese, and Hispanics happy to be Hispnaics. I do feel the races self segregate to a large extent.

No one wants a mongrel race with no real indentity, and not knowing who or what they are!!.

I am black, and I never wanted to move to the suburbs to live around white people.
    I had better experiences with my own race of black people. It was always a white person that did or said something disrespectful or negative to me on the Job. From then on , I said I would never live amongst White people.Whites I thought were just to
    darn sarcastic and insensitive.:razz:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Hey, daveman, you little bitch... where's your dancing Hitlers for...

every metro area in America?

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this illustrates an important point about race relations, which is that people of different races are not really safe visiting with each other in their homes. That causes them to group their houses with people of the same race.

5. AkronGuy

AkronGuy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Damn, I just positive repped 52ndStreet. They're now selling ice water in hell !

6. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,500
    Yes and no. There are multiple reasons for this and always have been. China towns, little Italys, Irish, German, French and Polish quarters have always existed since these peoples immigrated. Unfortunately blacks were kept segregated for so long they weren't allowed to properly assimilate into the mainstream culture until relatively recently. Hispanics have been part of the main stream for generations in some areas but not others. Some of it is cultural, some racial and some economic.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Flagwavrusa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Well, I think the idea of a melting pot worked up until fairly recently. In my neighborhood growning up could be found persons of French, English, Irish, German, and Jewish descent, it did not seem to be a problem. We all spoke the same language and had roughly the same values. Maybe the melting pot ideal breaks down when race comes into play. People of different races can work together, but maybe many of them dont like living next door to each other.

8. 52ndStreet

52ndStreet VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +170
    What I mean is that people of different ethnic groups tend to marry within that ethnic
    group. Marry outside of that ethnic group was never really accepted or approved of.

Many Jews marry other Jews, Italians marry other Italians, Irish marry other Irish,ect, ect. Although some white ethnic groups did intermarry, ie, Italians and Irish, German
    and Irish, Polls and Irish , Italians , Spanish, many blacks would not intermarry into
    ethno European races in the past and even to this day. I don't think the wounds of slavery have fully healed for many blacks to say they would marry into white America.

We may live together, Blacks , Whites , and Hispanics, but the marry bit is still, in my opinion, very taboo.:razz:

9. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    some folks like being around people of the same race as themselves. some associate with nationalities or incomes. others like diversity and seek out the margins of these enclaves where demographics mix. this is especially facilitated in big metros. i think humans naturally recognize diversity and are bent toward identification and association with people like themselves. the sense of adventure consciously appreciated by those who aim to associate with people unlike themselves is a character trait that we superimpose on this nature, i say. this is increasingly associated with sophistication, where in the past it certainly was not.

10. Flagwavrusa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98

I think it overstates the case to say that it is taboo. As of 2005 there were 422000 marriages involving African Americans and Whites, thats not trivial. I don't think most Americans would view it disfavorably, even though it is relatively rare. After all, the pres is the product of such a marriage and he got elected to be the top dog in the country. Maybe in some upper crust households it wouldnt fly, and in some communities of the deep south, but in your major metropolitan areas it wouldnt attract inordinate attention.