Question on Moore encourageing senators to send their kids to war

Bern80

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2004
One of the parts of Moore's movie that has been getting a lot of play on the news is the part where he is encouraging a senator to send his kids to Iraq.

My question is this: Isn't Moore's encouraging of congressmen to send their kids to war a moot pt?

You have to be 18 to serve in the armed forces and at that age you are old enough to make most of your own decisions. So why didn't Moore ask the senators children themselves instead of going after the senators? I understand what he was trying to do. He was trying to make the pt that any congressman that votes to start a war should be wiling to send their children. Ultimately the decision falls on the children however, not the parent

That scene was really awkward and not that well done. He attempted to do one of those in-your-face, take on the man scenes, but it failed here.

He had a similar scene in Bowling for Columbine when he visited the headquarters of K-Mart and ask them to stop selling bullets intended for automatic weapons. It was successful there. For it was a nobler mission.

But asking congress persons to enlist their children in one of the armed forces bordered on foolishness. It was a waste of several minutes of the movie that could have been devoted to more comic out takes of Bush and Company.

My favorite scene is where the theme song from 'The Greatest American Superhero' plays as Bush lands on the aircraft carrier in full costume. It's classic.

Actually thats one of the big lies of the movie. Moore cut the part of the video where the Congressman said he would be glad to help him get the politicians children involved in the war. Needless to say he wasnt happy with how Moore portrayed him. He was on a bunch of shows speaking out about the deception.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Actually thats one of the big lies of the movie. Moore cut the part of the video where the Congressman said he would be glad to help him get the politicians children involved in the war. Needless to say he wasnt happy with how Moore portrayed him. He was on a bunch of shows speaking out about the deception.

I guess since Moore likes to "stick it to the man" it wouldn't look good for him if one of the members of "the man" was actually trying to help him.

Originally posted by menewa
I guess since Moore likes to "stick it to the man" it wouldn't look good for him if one of the members of "the man" was actually trying to help him.
:clap:

Once upon a time in history, the leaders themselves led men into battle: George Washington, Napoleon, etc. Maybe our current version is more advanced as a division of labor, but also detached. And maybe we'll revert one of these days.

Originally posted by Bern80
One of the parts of Moore's movie that has been getting a lot of play on the news is the part where he is encouraging a senator to send his kids to Iraq.

My question is this: Isn't Moore's encouraging of congressmen to send their kids to war a moot pt?

You have to be 18 to serve in the armed forces and at that age you are old enough to make most of your own decisions. So why didn't Moore ask the senators children themselves instead of going after the senators? I understand what he was trying to do. He was trying to make the pt that any congressman that votes to start a war should be wiling to send their children. Ultimately the decision falls on the children however, not the parent

Exactly. What the children(adult children) of these men do is up to them. Not to mention,there are a lot of Americans that support the war that aren't Congressman,so I guess he should follow us around as well and try to make us look like jerks. Not to mention,when these guys and girls sign up for the military,they know they may have to go to war,that is always a possibility. Who says that these members of the military want Moore as a spokesperson anyway. Who say that expect everyone in America who supports the want to send their sons and daughters. That is Moore's problem,he is so diilisional,that he doesn't even think things through.

Originally posted by menewa
He had a similar scene in Bowling for Columbine when he visited the headquarters of K-Mart and ask them to stop selling bullets intended for automatic weapons. It was successful there. For it was a nobler mission.

I don't want to completely change the subject. But, I am a gun owner. First, were the bullets K-mart was selling for true automatics or semi-automatics? I didn't know civillians could even buy an automatic weapon, though I'm not 100% sure about handguns. Answer this if you can, but it reallly beside the point.

What was noble about this exactley?

I guess it made Moore feel good to pick on a company that was bankrupt and didn't have the money for a media mess. I would love to see him go up against someone a little stronger and see if he really has any balls. Did he pick on Wal Mart or do they not sell gun related items? I thought they did. If he didn't go after Wal Mart and they do sell gun stuff,then that proves my point.

Originally posted by krisy
I guess it made Moore feel good to pick on a company that was bankrupt and didn't have the money for a media mess. I would love to see him go up against someone a little stronger and see if he really has any balls. Did he pick on Wal Mart or do they not sell gun related items? I thought they did. If he didn't go after Wal Mart and they do sell gun stuff,then that proves my point.

They sell guns right next to the beer in some stores. Where's Moore there?

Forum List

Back