Question of the Day: Are We Too Dependent on Technology?

Are We TOO Dependent on Technology?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Not yet

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
If so, what could realistically be done to become LESS dependent?

What are the drawbacks?

We need to have a weekly blackout, maybe during Shabbot.

The 2 days without electricity during Superstorm Sandy were a whole different life

Without a doubt. Several years back our little town suffered a broken fiber optic cable somewhere. For three days no debit or credit cards could be processed. Some folks were in a tizzy. Of course you could still write checks the old fashioned way....and look at all the people you see glued to their "smart phone".... Look at me on the computer a lot...

When we get to the point that we don't know what to do, or, things just CAN'T be done without technology, then we are too dependent upon it.....

Of course, we can live/thrive without it, but not without a huge cost if we lose it. Plus, how long is the learning curve to adapt to life without it?

When we get to the point that we don't know what to do, or, things just CAN'T be done without technology, then we are too dependent upon it.....

Of course, we can live/thrive without it, but not without a huge cost if we lose it. Plus, how long is the learning curve to adapt to life without it?
Back in the 90's on the way home from work I stopped at a 7-11 in Fort Worth for beer. When I went in I noticed the store was a little dark. I walked back to the beer and got a 12 pack and went up the the counter to pay for it. The older woman working said she couldn't sell me the beer. I said why not and she said the power was off and I can't figure the tax without the cash register. I said lady, it's 8.99 multiplied by 8.25 percent. She said she didn't know how to do that. I was surprised....

Many people will starve to death, because they have not the skills to be a hunter/gatherer. But you can bet many will be looting because that is the last resort of those who end up in desperation. Do you think the liberal elites will be hunter/gatherers?

pajama+boy+1.jpg

Many people will starve to death, because they have not the skills to be a hunter/gatherer. But you can bet many will be looting because that is the last resort of those who end up in desperation. Do you think the liberal elites will be hunter/gatherers?

pajama+boy+1.jpg
No, many will be dead looters.

what does it hurt?
If you mean what does being dependent on technology hurt, then I'd have to say it reduces the number of people who can make it in life without it. By a large number.

I don't consider cars technology anymore. I realize modern cars are all about tech, but the older ones still function well.

technology makes things more efficient, easier, faster
but humans have adapted to much worse than losing technology and continued on
one example is WW2--food/energy/etc was rationed......cities bombed and on fire.....no street lights...

but I will say, that generation grew up with ''hardship''....without AC and central heating...they didn't get 10 toys for Christmas...they were lucky to get 1.......I was lucky to get 1....
...but humans adapt ''well'' ....

if people lost their phones, there would be stress/anxiety/etc....but they would get through it

Forum List

Back