Question for my fellow atheists and agnostics

Dr.Drock

Aug 19, 2009
If everything in the Bible were proven to be 100% scientific fact (obviously impossible, but this is purely a hypothetical) would you then become a christian? I'm talking about both the old and new testaments.

I've wondered this from time to time. On one hand you've got all the horrible things God did in the Old Testament which would make him impossible to worship, you also have all those innocent people unjustly thrown into hell that you may want to fight the good fight for.

On the other hand we're all selfish to a point, eternal damnation sure doesn't sound like fun and of course we'd all rather be in what was described as heaven in the Bible.

What say you?

Last edited:
If everything in the Bible were proven to be 100% scientific fact (obviously impossible, but this is purely a hypothetical) would you then become a christian? I'm talking about both the old and new testaments.

I've wondered this from time to time. On one hand you've got all the horrible things God did in the Old Testament which would make him impossible to worship, you also have all those innocent people unjustly thrown into hell that you may want to fight the good fight for.

On the other hand we're all selfish to a point, eternal damnation sure doesn't sound like fun and of course we'd all rather be in what was described as heaven in the Bible.

What say you?
Can you list all the "horribles things God did in the Old Testament?"

This is a myth that is perpetuated even within SOME self-proclaimed Christian circles.

List them please, I'll respond accordingly.

Thanks.

What say you?

Nope.

It's an interesting question you pose. The Lord challenged me to believe when He revealed that Jesus really was the Christ to me. We all have to learn for ourselves at some point. We can't rely on others. We have to learn as Peter did through revelation from the Father.

I would suggest that maybe the reasons you guys don't know is because you aren't committed to following the truth if you learned it to be true. God doesnt reveal things just to reveal things, He expects us to act on them.

It's an interesting question you pose. The Lord challenged me to believe when He revealed that Jesus really was the Christ to me. We all have to learn for ourselves at some point. We can't rely on others. We have to learn as Peter did through revelation from the Father.

I would suggest that maybe the reasons you guys don't know is because you aren't committed to following the truth if you learned it to be true. God doesnt reveal things just to reveal things, He expects us to act on them.

Gotta give it up, cause when you're right...you're RIGHT!! :clap2:

What say you?

Of course I would believe if everything in the bible was proven to be 100% accurate.

I do not see how that can be since there are so many contradictory things in there though.
As you mentioned the war god of the old testament vs the humanitarian god of the new testament.
The old testament god was an asshole. And if God is eternal than god would not change and still be an asshole.

100% scientific fact ? I think I would have to say yes. I would give up drinkin and whoring.

Why the religious leaders in the old testament did not give up drinking and whoring did they?
Heck they could even have slaves and rape and pillage under gods rule.

What say you?

It would take "God" showing up..not as an alien or some strange creature..but the "God" of the Bible in man's image and everything doing miracles and so on...AND not somebody else's interpretation of this event. I would have to see it for myself..IN PERSON. Then...maybe. It might take a while to investigate the event and reach a conclusion.

Sure.. why not? If it was the truth..that is all I care about. I'm a tough cookie to convince though. It would have to be some helluva evidence.

100% scientific fact ? I think I would have to say yes. I would give up drinkin and whoring.

Why the religious leaders in the old testament did not give up drinking and whoring did they?
Heck they could even have slaves and rape and pillage under gods rule.

True but did they make it to heaven?

David? Abraham?

Sure you can get to heaven do all the sinnin you want then just repent before you die.

What say you?

It would take "God" showing up..not as an alien or some strange creature..but the "God" of the Bible in man's image and everything doing miracles and so on...AND not somebody else's interpretation of this event. I would have to see it for myself..IN PERSON. Then...maybe. It might take a while to investigate the event and reach a conclusion.

Sure.. why not? If it was the truth..that is all I care about. I'm a tough cookie to convince though. It would have to be some helluva evidence.

Yep I would be hard to convince as well and worshipping anything or anyone is just not in my makeup.

If god turned Newt into a newt would be a start though?

God doesnt reveal things just to reveal things, He expects us to act on them.

The anthropomorphization of your deity only undermines its legitimacy. An omnipotent entity wouldn’t ‘reveal’ or ‘expect’ anything, since it already ‘knows’ it will happen, and ‘caused’ it to occur.

The anthropomorphization of your deity only undermines its legitimacy. An omnipotent entity wouldn’t ‘reveal’ or ‘expect’ anything, since it already ‘knows’ it will happen, and ‘caused’ it to occur.

How exactly do you propose to know anything about a being you don't believe in and expect to have any credibility on the topic?

What say you?

This is a myth that is perpetuated even within SOME self-proclaimed Christian circles.

Thanks.

Evil Bible Quotes

The website does a better job than I could, there's hundreds of evil things in the old testament so you can choose which ones I guess and start responding to them.

But I agree they are all myths.

How exactly do you propose to know anything about a being you don't believe in and expect to have any credibility on the topic?

How exactly do you propose to know anything about a being you believe is entirely outside the scope of human experience and understanding and expect to have any credibility on the topic?

:tongue:

If 100% was proven factual.

Yes, Christian it is.

My thinking would be that god somehow matured past the ruthlessness.

But I would still not join any of the religions. Religions are only about controlling the flock.

What say you?

Thanks.

Evil Bible Quotes

The website does a better job than I could, there's hundreds of evil things in the old testament so you can choose which ones I guess and start responding to them.

But I agree they are all myths.

"Should people cheat God? Yet you have cheated me! "But you ask, 'What do you mean? When did we ever cheat you?' "You have cheated me of the tithes and offerings due to me. You are under a curse, for your whole nation has been cheating me. Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do," says the LORD Almighty, "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Try it! Let me prove it to you! Your crops will be abundant, for I will guard them from insects and disease. Your grapes will not shrivel before they are ripe," says the LORD Almighty. (Malachi 3:8-11 NLT)

(Doesn't it seem really stupid that an all-powerful God claims he can bring food and grapes to the masses but he can't even feed himself?)

This is about being able to feed the truly needed. And if you give some food to the temple god will bless you with more than you can handle.

the moron, quoted in blue, is to fucking dumb to get it or is just looking for fault where none is.

Kill False Prophets

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Have you ever seen what happens to cult members? If someone had killed Jones[?], hundreds of people would be alive.

It keeps on bantering meaningless quotes that need to be twisted by people that hate god.

Forum List

Back