Putin - lets build some more missiles

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Instead of developing more complicated missile defense systems, Russia is going to focus on offensive arms to preserve its balance with the US, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Tuesday.
After months of talks in Geneva, the US and Russian delegations have almost completed work on a new treaty to replace the 1991 Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, which expired on December 5, while technical details will be finalized in mid-January.
However, when asked what the biggest problem was in the talks, Putin said, "The problem is that our American partners are building an anti-missile shield and we are not building one," according to Reuters.
"By building such an umbrella over themselves, our partners could feel themselves fully secure and will do whatever they want – the level of aggression in politics and economics will rise right away. The balance will be lost," Putin said during a visit to the Russian Pacific port city of Vladivostok.
Global Times - Putin wants more offensive arms to counter US

We have had this debate most of the year when the Administration decided to remove Missile defense from Poland after speaking with Russia and getting nothing in return for it. It's quite clear that Russia intends to proceed with it's arming of nations such as Iran, Syria, and others, as well as digregard and impede any sanctions for nuclear arms getting into the hands of these states. So is it prudent in light of this for the nation to be cutting Missile Defense?

The problem, as usual, is trust. The rhetoric of William Kristol and his band of neoconservative jingos does little to protect our interests or our national security. If you were a Russian, Navy, how would you react to their provocative altiloquence?

Didn't you notice what you typed? Kristol was responding to Russian duplicity in the arms talks. Kristol is just a loudmouth outside the administration. he does not make policy.

Should we make policy because of what Vladimir Zhironovsky's opinions? or Yavlensky's?

We do have good reason to worry about what the Russian Military is up to, especially given that they are arming Iran of all places. (But given the quality of Russian military goods, I think the Iranians are better off without) One wonders about the intellectual level of the Russian Military for doing such a stupid.

The problem, as usual, is trust. The rhetoric of William Kristol and his band of neoconservative jingos does little to protect our interests or our national security. If you were a Russian, Navy, how would you react to their provocative altiloquence?

First Wry , I can tell you that generally having a little bit of experience with Russian issues, their moves in military hardware regardless of agreements comes as little surprise at all. However, Russia has a long history of over stating thier abilities in terms of performance of such counter-measures as well, i.e. MIG 25, MIG 29, SLBM's, etc. That does not mean though that given this we should not be very weary of Russian intentions as well as be willing to counter Russia when it comes to such moves. In fact, I don't know if it has escaped anyones notice, but the technology that these rogue states are developing are doing so witjh Russian and Chinese help, and at each turn in the Security counsel they are the ones' that block sanctions. So when Putin boasts of developments of counter measures for Missile Defense , even if that counter is as history has shown it would not be prudent to cut Missile Defense in light of that, but to use it as means to bring Russia to the table which it would if done so properly. One other issue as well, I do think that Russia, is reacting to this Missile defense issue as means to continue to develop and upgrade thier own offensive ICBM and SLBM technology which they have been having many problems with.

Forum List

Back