Punch buggy! Why Mexico is a haven for car buffs

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Everyone has a story about the Volkswagen Beetle, or at least a memory. For some, it’s the car they learned to drive in or took to protests or music fests. For others, it’s the visual cue in a children’s car game—“Punch Buggy” or “Slug Bug”—for punching a sibling in the arm while on a road trip.

The lovable, instantly recognizable, two-door, rear-engine coupe with a hippie vibe was everywhere. From the 1970s to the 1990s, it was the world’s best-selling car, with a total worldwide production of more than 21 million vehicles, living up to its moniker: the people’s car.

For actor Ewan McGregor (Moulin Rouge, Star Wars), it was the car he grew up with. “My parents had three in a row, a white one, then a red one, and then an orange one. They would put us in the back of the Beetle in Scotland and drive to France for camping holidays in the summer.” McGregor’s first car was a 1978 Beetle; and he currently owns two, parked at his home in Los Angeles. “I just love them. They’re like old friends.”
I've never been a huge fan of these. However, they at least had personality and most of the cars now don't have that.

maxresdefault.jpg

Everyone has a story about the Volkswagen Beetle, or at least a memory. For some, it’s the car they learned to drive in or took to protests or music fests. For others, it’s the visual cue in a children’s car game—“Punch Buggy” or “Slug Bug”—for punching a sibling in the arm while on a road trip.

The lovable, instantly recognizable, two-door, rear-engine coupe with a hippie vibe was everywhere. From the 1970s to the 1990s, it was the world’s best-selling car, with a total worldwide production of more than 21 million vehicles, living up to its moniker: the people’s car.

For actor Ewan McGregor (Moulin Rouge, Star Wars), it was the car he grew up with. “My parents had three in a row, a white one, then a red one, and then an orange one. They would put us in the back of the Beetle in Scotland and drive to France for camping holidays in the summer.” McGregor’s first car was a 1978 Beetle; and he currently owns two, parked at his home in Los Angeles. “I just love them. They’re like old friends.”
I've never been a huge fan of these. However, they at least had personality and most of the cars now don't have that.
I learned to drive a standard in a bug. It was old when I bought it, but it was pretty reliable for all of that. No heat to speak of, though. I remember a VERY hairy drive in a heavy freezing rain storm on the Mass Pike defrosting a small circle on the windshield with the palm of my hand.

Forum List

Back