Puerto Rico to relax permit process to own and carry a gun, good for them.

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Puerto Rico, tired of the violent crime on their island, is about to relax the process for buying and carrying a gun...it used to cost 2,000 dollars to get a permit....that is not going to be the case going forward...

Translation Shows the Full Benefits of Puerto Rico's New Gun Laws - The Truth About Guns

As John Boch pointed out in his article about the change in Puerto Rico’s gun laws, change is coming to the island in a very good way. This is very personal to me since I have family on the island and have looked at moving to Puerto Rico in the past. But the territory’s terrible gun laws kept turning me away.

Now, that’s no longer the case.

How did this all come about? In 2015, the Second Amendment Foundation filed a challenge to Puerto Rico’s old laws with the help of the Ladies of the Second Amendment.

With over 800 plaintiffs, the lower court ruled that several provisions of the old laws were unconstitutional. The ruling was overturned after the state appealed. Puerto Rico’s Supreme Court declined to hear the case, leaving the appellate court’s ruling in place.

But during the period between the lower court’s ruling and the PR Supreme Court refusing to hear after it was appealed, Puerto Rico had a year of constitutional carry.

The people of Puerto Rico tasted sweet freedom and they liked it. After two horrific hurricanes, Puerto Ricans under the old system applied en masse for firearm ownership permits resulting in an estimated 60% to 70% increase in applications.

But the process was still burdensome and costly.

So the people decided to focus on the legislative branch to push for reform. This bill that just became law has been in the works since 2018. It was introduced by Sen. Nelson Cruz Santiago. Former Gov. Ricardo Rosselló opposed the bill, but he resigned in August after a texting scandal.

The current Governor, Wanda Vázquez Garced supported the bill when she was the Justice Secreteary. She became governor when Rosselló resigned and championed women being able to defend themselves.

As part of Governor Vázquez Garced’s reform platform, Senate Bill 1050 was passed by the Legislative Assembly and signed into law as Act No. 168

Forum List

Back