Public Apathy Over Climate Change Unrelated To Science Literacy: Study

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Trakar, May 27, 2012.

1. Trakar

Trakar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Public Apathy Over Climate Change Unrelated To Science Literacy: Study
    NewsRoomAmerica.com - Public Apathy Over Climate Change Unrelated To Science Literacy: Study

subjectivity affects all people, and true objectivity is a difficult state for any to achieve in their considerations of any subject which they have taken the time and invested an effort in becoming informed about.

2. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,213
    How interesting..................

This thread was COMPLETELY ignored by the climate change contingent!! Hmmmm...........what a surprise!!! But not to me. Far left guys who are OCD on this climate stuff always disregard ANY information if it does not conform with their ideology............

For example..........from todays REALCLEARSCIENCE morning edition. These dolts wont even read this because it nukes the shit out of their whole argument in a heartbeat.

On: How silly it is to think solar and wind can cure our energy needs...............

Getting power to the people: Why just being 'green' won't cure our energy woes | New York Daily News

3. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    Steve, most do not claim that solar and wind will cure our energy needs. Solar and wind will be a part of the overall package. As will be nuclear, geothermal, wave, and slow current. And probably some sources not yet thought of.

4. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    Public apathy will change when the jolt is great enough. As I stated before, when we have a weather event that takes lives in the tens of thousands, people will notice. Until then, the ever increasing numbers of smaller events will be passed off as natural variation. Sad that is what it takes to get peoples attention.

5. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,213

The whole point Ray is that wind and solar are dinosaur technologies that will remain a small fraction of our energy needs. The solutions will indeed be related to some not yet created technology, but only if the government gets out of the way and allows innovation in this area. Subsidies for current green energy continues to be a serious impediment to innovations in energy production.

6. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,213

Perspective is everything here Ray...............

One single weather event will do nothing to change public perception. There are weather events going back forever that took tens of thousnds of lives. ( I posted up a link on this yesterday).

Im serious when I say...........if we get a few weeks of high temperatures during the dead of winter in a serverly cold climate ( like Alaska).........THAT will get peoples attention. Your side Ray, would be best served by not making ANY predictions. You're very knowledgable Ray..........you should get involved in a group that formulates a different plan..............and Im serious. The "alarmist" route is not effective and is now conterproductive at this point in time.

Hey Ray..........taking the kids to Delaware tomorrow for a NASCAR event. A needed vacation bro.........

7. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    Have fun, Steve. I like auto racing, but cannot stand crowds of people. So when I do attend a race, it is usually amateur races. Not that many people, and a lot more fun. Easier to relate to people that build and work on the cars they race on the week ends, than the constructs they race at Nascar events. Not that I don't enjoy watching these once in a while, simply cannot relate them to anything that I would ever drive.

8. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    Actually, some took lives in the millions. Floods in China, droughts in the same place. But why do to ourselves what nature can do at will? Not that we are going to avoid some major consequences from the amount already in the atmosphere. Watch what happens in the Arctic over the next decade. That will be the dertiminant as to how bad it will be.

9. Trakar

Trakar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I usually assume that if no one comments upon a post then it is because they either agree with its content and see no reason to add comment, or that they aren't interested in the topic and have no desire to learn other's perspective or understanding with regard to the subject

Only the foolish seek a single energy system to replace the diverse energy integration we currently have in place. This isn't to say that solar and wind do not have a significant potential role in our future energy picture, merely that trying to use one system to replace many will cause as many problems as it resolves.

10. Trakar

Trakar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Well, the apathy is more a symptom of the politicization than the true lack of concern or care. We had a narrow window back in the late '90s and first couple of years of this century before politics divded the issue along partisan lines for most people. There were as many leading Republicans eager to address climate change issues as there were leading Democratic representatives. It is getting back to that stage of understanding and eliminating the partisan political divide over the issue that will take a lot of time and effort to correct.

Last edited: May 31, 2012